Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The pros and cons of a baclofen pump?

Default The pros and cons of a baclofen pump?

I've had MS for 35 years. I'm typically taking 40 to 80 mg of baclofen a day to control leg spasms so I can sleep. The muscle weakness from this is quite noticeable. I've been considering getting a baclofen pump. I was hoping for further info the pros and cons of doing so. So far all I have is there a less side effects and one person has said the refill process is very uncomfortable. thanks much

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome, bburk64!

Here is a link to the results of a search for posts about the baclofen pump on this forum:

[sorry--nonworking link removed]

And here's a link to a presentation by the (US) National MS Society:

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Pr...by=3&order=asc

If this is material you've already looked into, I hope to be able to dig up some more information tomorrow.

Others who can add to this discussion will probably be coming along to reply as well, I'm sure.

Also found this article (from 2011):

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/ful...52458510395056
    Last edited by agate; 08-20-2019 at 07:16 AM. Reason: deleting link that failed

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Welcome bburk64...
    My friend had to use the pump due to very very high Baclofen levels created bad side effects. It was better than using the pills, but he had issues: when they did the procedure , he got “Locked in” syndrome from anesthesia, and they had to go back and reverse it.

He used the pump successfully, but had problems with the refills if I recall right. Ultimately it took forever to wean off of the pills to just be on the pump. Now he no longer does Baclofen: Just Tizanidine and Valium and lots of rescue meds in teh ER.

But he has Stiff Person Syndrome, not MS. Similar issues, very different disorder.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Welcome bburk64,

I have no experience w baclofen pumps. Sorry.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

The link to the search of post turned up nothing. Did you see the same thing from it?

The MS societies presentation was pretty much useless.

However the 2011 article had a wealth of useful information and details in it!

Thank you

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

What are the results and side effects he experiences from tizanidine versus baclofen if you know? thanks

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I'm so sorry about the link that didn't work. It was working for me yesterday but no longer is working. I'll remove it. I did go through the posts there and found this in particular:

http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/...pump#post81092

Also, back in 2011 one person said it didn't help her bladder. In 2018 someone mentions taking both baclofen and tizanidine.

Do you know how to search the forum? On the first page over at the top right you'll find a place where it says "Search Forum." Click on that and enter the word(s) you want to search in the window. Then you choose whether you want it to search for threads or posts. I have better luck checking "Show Posts." It should then bring up all references to that word or phrase, which will be highlighted in each post it brings up. You could try that with "tizanidine" and you should get a couple of pages of posts.

If you don't feel up to this, just let me know. I understand not being up to anything complicated! I'm not up to it myself just now but would probably be able to give it a try later today.

There's this--comparing tizanidine and baclofen:

https://www.drugs.com/compare/baclofen-vs-tizanidine
    Last edited by agate; 08-20-2019 at 08:37 AM.

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by bburk64 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What are the results and side effects he experiences from tizanidine versus baclofen if you know? thanks
    I am on baclofen and tizanidine in much smaller doses than I suspect you would need. The tizanidine works more immediately and can be used as needed. Baclofen works long term. However, even 1mg (half of a tablet) of tizanidine puts me to sleep. We have rearranged my meds to 2mg at bedtime. That’s when my muscles are the tightest. The two earlier doses are 10 mugs each of baclofen.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Baclofen is longer acting, and you cannot just stop it once you are on higher doses. You have to gradually reduce it.

I started on low doses of each one when I first began to have spasms 2 years ago...now i am up to 85mg Baclofen Daily and 36mg Tizanidine. Any lower I get too spastic and spasms. But I have Stiff Person Syndrome as well as MS. And, the former is notoriously hard to treat and requires very high doses.

I hate the side effects. At the higher dose you get really severe constipation, dizzyness, nausea, weakness, dry mouth, dry eyes. Really lovely.

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) Welcome bburks64. I have no experience with baclofen.

I have been on 4.5 of LDN since 2000. Go to www.lowdosenaltrexone.org for info and click the MS link. Before LDN I had new symptoms about every 3 months and since I have not had any new symptoms.

Good luck with the baclofen. Jeanie :)

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast