Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: People to do the Chitchat thread?

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default People to do the Chitchat thread?

Since our dear Peg is no longer with us to post a Chitchat thread on the first of every month, it's been done by volunteers who think to do it--I believe it was Howie once and Catdancer once.

Should we keep it loose like this--just whoever thinks of it and posts the thread when the time comes?

Or take turns?

Or put one willing volunteer in charge of it?

What do people want?
    i don't trip--I do random gravity checks.

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

I think I was the initial person then Peg took it over from me. I like it being loose and not on the shoulders of any one person. That way if one of us does not happen to be on the page at the turn of the calendar, it gives someone else the chance to start it. Rotating the chores in the family, sort of. We might see Virginia or ANN or Nuthatch or Lazarus or Sunshine or Jeanie or Rose or any one of the others who occasionally contribute. I would love to see that flexibility maintained. Obviously, if one of us checks in late in the day on the first of the month and there is no new one, we should be able to start the thread without feeling like we are stepping on anyone's toes.

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Yes indeed you were the initiator of the Chitchat thread, Cherie--and I agree about keeping it loose for the reasons you stated.

Input from anyone and everyone else will be greatly appreciated.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

And if you do start it, make sure no one else has already.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Howie, you are correct to bring that up because we live in different time zones. Say I start one at 12 midnight eastern time and someone comes on at 10 PM west coast time I can see where it could possibly be confusing. However, if everyone makes sure that no one else has already started one we should be fine.

Most of the time we are pretty smart people. (Now watch me be the first to goof up)
    Virginia

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

I say, if you wake up, and no one already started it, and you want to start it, start it.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Making sure no one else has started it is a good idea. Sometimes you may be doing your thread after finding that nobody has started it, and then you post it, and then you find that in the meantime someone else has posted it. So you've just put an unnecessary thread onto the board. But this doesn't happen very often, and if it does, a moderator might be willing to remove the extra thread if you ask.

Virginia, you're right about how smart we are. AND most of us have had a lot of experience with this board already. We're veterans, you might say. We've been through the heady chaotic days of the earlier Internet and we're still alive!

I think we need one of those trophies or medals that Sam was giving out. Or maybe it was chocolate? I hope that's what it was.

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Hello Everyone!

It is possible for a moderator to merge 2 "Chit-Chat" threads should two different people start one.

The person who started the thread first would have their name as the starter of the thread. The threads, once merged, would have posts in chronological order.

You can figure out how you want to handle this and I'll check at the beginning of the month.

Moderator #7

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people whose posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

16. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And if you do start it, make sure no one else has already.
    Right. I did that once when I had not noticed that you had already started a thread.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator #7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hello Everyone!

It is possible for a moderator to merge 2 "Chit-Chat" threads should two different people start one.

The person who started the thread first would have their name as the starter of the thread. The threads, once merged, would have posts in chronological order.

You can figure out how you want to handle this and I'll check at the beginning of the month.

Sounds good to me
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast