Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Jim's Journey

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

funnylegs4 ~

Good for you to back up again!

I do have a question. I followed the instructions to eject the hard drive, by going to Finder and clicking on the eject icon. It went gray and disappeared. I still haven't unplugged the hard drive. I know it's safe, but I'm nervous still. I wonder if there are therapists, for people who fear technology? I think I could use one!

Our Mac has been good as gold through all of this, and she's cool as a cucumber. I told Angie that she gets hot, because she's 6 years old and going through menopause. She messaged back, "LOL!"

JURY DUTY

I received an email that my excuse has been approved! Another stress crossed off of my list.

I wonder how many women in our area, who are in my age range and older, have been excused from jury duty for the very same reason? I'm guessing lots of them.

If it isn't cancer, it's a heart condition, or diabetes, or a stroke or other neurological event. The court didn't ask for specifics, so I'm supposing that they just know that our demographic is likely not going to be able to serve. And, even if we aren't caring for our husbands, we might have our own health issues to prevent jury service.

Jim jokingly told me that the other potential jurors would be relieved to know that I was excused. When I asked him why, he said, "Because they'd all want to jump to a conclusion, so that they could be done with it and go home. But, you'd be the juror, looking over notes and reading transcripts, saying, 'Wait a minute ... what about this?'"

He's right.

I'm looking forward to a better night's sleep, now that the back up and jury duty are off of my agenda.

Thank you again and again, funnylegs4 for helping me so much. Thanks to you, I had an idea of what I was seeing during the installation process with Angie and a basic understanding of the terms and process.

Thank you too for your prayers and encouragement. Prayers always on the way for you and your loved ones.

Oh, and yes, Jim wisecracked about HIS iPad, but he knows who is boss.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

funnylegs4 ~

Good for you to back up again!

I do have a question. I followed the instructions to eject the hard drive, by going to Finder and clicking on the eject icon. It went gray and disappeared. I still haven't unplugged the hard drive. I know it's safe, but I'm nervous still. I wonder if there are therapists, for people who fear technology? I think I could use one!

Our Mac has been good as gold through all of this, and she's cool as a cucumber. I told Angie that she gets hot, because she's 6 years old and going through menopause. She messaged back, "LOL!"

JURY DUTY

I received an email that my excuse has been approved! Another stress crossed off of my list.

I wonder how many women in our area, who are in my age range and older, have been excused from jury duty for the very same reason? I'm guessing lots of them.

If it isn't cancer, it's a heart condition, or diabetes, or a stroke or other neurological event. The court didn't ask for specifics, so I'm supposing that they just know that our demographic is likely not going to be able to serve. And, even if we aren't caring for our husbands, we might have our own health issues to prevent jury service.

Jim jokingly told me that the other potential jurors would be relieved to know that I was excused. When I asked him why, he said, "Because they'd all want to jump to a conclusion, so that they could be done with it and go home. But, you'd be the juror, looking over notes and reading transcripts, saying, 'Wait a minute ... what about this?'"

He's right.

I'm looking forward to a better night's sleep, now that the back up and jury duty are off of my agenda.

Thank you again and again, funnylegs4 for helping me so much. Thanks to you, I had an idea of what I was seeing during the installation process with Angie and a basic understanding of the terms and process.

Thank you too for your prayers and encouragement. Prayers always on the way for you and your loved ones.

Oh, and yes, Jim wisecracked about HIS iPad, but he knows who is boss.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Hi Rose,

Youíre very welcome! Not sure about tech therapy LOL. However, very important note: After you eject the external drive UNPLUG it!! My external hard drive thinks itís connected if I bump it by accident and if I shut down the computer, the external hard drive will connect to the computer again when you power on the computer again. I just donít want your backup to get corrupted by not unplugging. I only stay plugged in if I'm using the external drive.

Yay for getting out of jury duty! Yes Jim is so right. Btw check out a movie called ďOne Angry ManĒ with blind actress Pamela Sabaugh if you ever want to have a good laugh at a jury. LOL.
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 09-10-2019 at 11:05 PM.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

4. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

Thank you, funnylegs4, after reading your post, I unplugged the external hard drive. I hope nothing happened to it. I did eject it properly. I even checked that several times. Now, Iím a tad concerned that Iíve corrupted the hard drive. See what I mean about being nervous about all of this?

John visited today, and he was finishing up his work stuff on his iPad! So, he gave us an impromptu lesson on how to use it, and said that heíd return on Saturday to help us sort it all out and is always available by phone or text if we have a question.

He also uses an iPhone, so he encouraged us to change to his model, which is 6. He also showed us what he can do on his phone.

He said that eventually, we wonít need an iMac. Well, no. I need an iMac. Iím a writer, and I canít write on an iPad. I need a full, giant screen, and a keyboard. Iím used to the iMac, and I want to continue to use what Iím used to. I started on a manual Royal typewriter. This is how I write. I donít want to change that.

Jim is looking pale, but he has regained the 2 lbs he lost. That could be fluid, but his gut measurement is the same. His BP is a tad low, but not alarming. His appetite has improved. The side pain is lessening. He read the lasest issue of AARP about the medicinal benefits of MJ, and heís now increased his THC by 10 mg. He takes it in capsule form, and it is helping him.

Nancy will be here Friday for a blood draw. Iím anxious about the results.

John is on board to transport Jim and me to/from the CT scan on 9/24 and appointment with Dr. K on 9/27. Iím so grateful, because I really need Johnís help with Jim getting in/out, etc. I asked if his daughter had a game that day, and he said, ďItís at 5:30, so not a problem.Ē

I took John into Jonathanís room for the first time today; itís been that long since weíve seen John. He was teary-eyed. He said before we entered, ďI was in Jonís room the last time I was here to get his HD cable box and hook it up in the living room.Ē

"I know, but it is different now.Ē

He took photos of Jonís room to share with his family, especially his sister, who gave Jonathan the Elton swag bag.

Our Dodgers won their division last night, so I added Jonís Dodger caps to the head of his bed. I also did this for John, because he is a super Dodger fan.

John thanked me and said he knew this was difficult for me, but it was perfect for Jonathan.

He agreed with me, when I told him that it was important to transform Jonathanís room into the place, where he lived, instead of where he died.

On Saturday, John will be here to take me to the place he goes to for tire repair. Our spare has a screw in it, which is why it went flat. For about $30, we can get it repaired. John is a regular customer, so heís going with me to help me get this done.

Then, heíll return to our home to teach us how to use our iPad. Heís so excited for us that we have this now.

We are truly blessed with Johnís love and support and his family. We are not alone.

Thank you all so much for being our support network for 20 years. We love you and pray for you and your loved ones.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Thank you, funnylegs4, after reading your post, I unplugged the external hard drive. I hope nothing happened to it. I did eject it properly. I even checked that several times. Now, I’m a tad concerned that I’ve corrupted the hard drive. See what I mean about being nervous about all of this?

John visited today, and he was finishing up his work stuff on his iPad! So, he gave us an impromptu lesson on how to use it, and said that he’d return on Saturday to help us sort it all out and is always available by phone or text if we have a question.

He also uses an iPhone, so he encouraged us to change to his model, which is 6. He also showed us what he can do on his phone.

He said that eventually, we won’t need an iMac. Well, no. I need an iMac. I’m a writer, and I can’t write on an iPad. I need a full, giant screen, and a keyboard. I’m used to the iMac, and I want to continue to use what I’m used to. I started on a manual Royal typewriter. This is how I write. I don’t want to change that.

Jim is looking pale, but he has regained the 2 lbs he lost. That could be fluid, but his gut measurement is the same. His BP is a tad low, but not alarming. His appetite has improved. The side pain is lessening. He read the lasest issue of AARP about the medicinal benefits of MJ, and he’s now increased his THC by 10 mg. He takes it in capsule form, and it is helping him.

Nancy will be here Friday for a blood draw. I’m anxious about the results.

John is on board to transport Jim and me to/from the CT scan on 9/24 and appointment with Dr. K on 9/27. I’m so grateful, because I really need John’s help with Jim getting in/out, etc. I asked if his daughter had a game that day, and he said, “It’s at 5:30, so not a problem.”

I took John into Jonathan’s room for the first time today; it’s been that long since we’ve seen John. He was teary-eyed. He said before we entered, “I was in Jon’s room the last time I was here to get his HD cable box and hook it up in the living room.”

"I know, but it is different now.”

He took photos of Jon’s room to share with his family, especially his sister, who gave Jonathan the Elton swag bag.

Our Dodgers won their division last night, so I added Jon’s Dodger caps to the head of his bed. I also did this for John, because he is a super Dodger fan.

John thanked me and said he knew this was difficult for me, but it was perfect for Jonathan.

He agreed with me, when I told him that it was important to transform Jonathan’s room into the place, where he lived, instead of where he died.

On Saturday, John will be here to take me to the place he goes to for tire repair. Our spare has a screw in it, which is why it went flat. For about $30, we can get it repaired. John is a regular customer, so he’s going with me to help me get this done.

Then, he’ll return to our home to teach us how to use our iPad. He’s so excited for us that we have this now.

We are truly blessed with John’s love and support and his family. We are not alone.

Thank you all so much for being our support network for 20 years. We love you and pray for you and your loved ones.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Hi Rose,

No worries. These external drives are pretty hardy so I’m sure your current backup is fine. I just wanted to be sure. :) As long as you didn’t see the external drive icon anywhere on the computer after you ejected all is well. Yes you need a Mac, not just an iPad. Glad John gave you lessons. Also so glad he got to see Jon’s room. I hope and pray the paleness is not a bad sign!
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

8. The following user says "thanks"

Chiming in on the iPhone. I would say a big nope to the iphone6. It is a very old model and will soon be obsolete. I am new to the iPhone world (from BlackBerry) and got a XR six weeks ago, specifically because it will be relevant longer.

Also, after going through smart phone purgatory with my parents, I also question how much you would actually use one or need one vs the frustration you might experience trying to use one. A basic cell phone might be the answer. After all, it’s not like you are out and about in public or at jobs away from home all day.

Hope this helps.

10. The following user says "thanks"

Hi Rose,

If you are going to get a new iPhone, get a newer version than the 6. They will stop making updates for it and it will be coming obsolete very fast.

Both of you will enjoy the iPad. My father in law loves his and uses it daily.

Marcie

12. The following user says "thanks"

Rose, sorry Jim's last blood work didn't look quite as good as past ones. Hoping he will not need a blood transfusion. I had thought he was doing very well and he still is, but he just needs a couple of the test to come back up to what they were. Thinking of you two.
    Virginia

14. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

funnylegs4 ~

Thank you for the reassurance that the hard drive is ok. Yes, I checked everywhere, and it was gone. I do know how to eject things from the computer. I have an external DVD player, and I put a chip from my old camera, which still works, into the side of the computer to import to iPhoto.

When I posted yesterday evening, I hadn't looked at the iPad yet. When I did, I discovered that I had to activate it, which ... of course. I hadn't thought about that. It has an SIM card, but I'm not really understanding how to use it from the directions, so I'm going to call our carrier and have someone walk me through it. I need hand over hand help, that's how horrible I am at technology.

I didn't call them last night, because I had to make dinner and clean up the kitchen. Then, I just collapse in a heap. This morning, I had to pick up Jim's meds, go to the ATM, which was out of service (grr...), order from Instacart, talk with the shopper about numerous items, which were out of stock or poor in freshness or quality, put away the groceries, after wiping them off with alcohol, make Jim's breakfast. I took a break, then I sorted out the port draw supplies for tomorrow's blood draw, as we got a box full to keep us in business for a couple of weeks. I still have an unopened box of Jim's briefs, and one with his favorite tea to open. I gathered and took out all of the trash, because I have to put the bins out tonight.

I did 2 loads of laundry, gave Jim a breathing treatment, ate something (and our new-ish microwave is acting silly now, so it's like everything is going wonky).

After I activate the iPad, I have to have time to sit with Jim to learn how to use it with him. We had the quick run down yesterday, and I'm not sure how much of it Jim retained (or how much I retained for that matter). What I'm going to suggest to John is that he bring his iPad, and we have ours to follow his example as we go along. That is the best way for us to learn.

Jim is pale, because his red and white blood cells are quite low. He's started taking a 10 mg THC capsule in the morning, after he read about its effectiveness in treating cancer in the latest AARP bulletin. It makes him a bit sleepy, and sometimes he's so relaxed and happy, he says goofy things. We laugh a lot, and this is good, because it's helping more than Tylenol or Advil has. And he doesn't want an opioid. So, he'll need to skip that dose on Saturday, so he can be awake and able to process what we're learning.

John texted asking if Jim was enjoying HIS iPad, and I replied the same as I've written here, albeit in fewer words!

We're all excited about our iPad, and we know we'll enjoy it. But I have priorities of caring for Jim and our home, van, well ... you know.

Tomorrow will be busy, as I have to tidy up and get the rest of the supplies out for Jim's draw, plus take his vitals, chart, so that Nancy has it all done, when she arrives. This allows us to have some personal time with her before we get to work on Jim.

I was trying to explain to a friend recently why I rely on email and texts for communication and don't have time for phone calls. It's difficult to grasp, if you aren't in our situation and aren't as old and worn out as we are. When we were younger, and Jim was healthy, we had more time for phone calls, FaceTime, socialization. But now, Jim isn't well enough to do the things he wants to do to help me, and he's frustrated, but that's better than creating more pain for him.

Fifty years ago, my life became very full and busy. It still is, but I'm 50 years older, and I spent all of that time lifting, working, under stress. And now, I have to save my energy for the vitally important stuff. I know the iPad is important to Jim and to me to back up our computer. But other things take precedence with immediate need for my attention.

Yesterday, John asked me about the termite extermination, and I just said, "John, I am one person, and I have to deal with things as they happen. This is a long term project to get ready for the extermination, and I'm doing it in between other stuff that needs to be done."

He nodded. He knows, he's just anxious to get everything we need done.

He also said he wants to help us get a small car and sell our van. I told him that we aren't going to trade in or sell our van, because we plan to donate it to someone, who needs it.

The AAA guy, who put in our new battery, offered to buy it right then and there. I said, "Umm, 1. we don't have any other form of transportation; 2. we're going to donate it to someone, who needs a wheelchair lift." He was very serious and told me to call him if I change my mind.

Our first wheelchair van was a gift when Jonathan and Michael were about 20 and 19. I have to pay it forward, as we did with that van, when Jim and I bought our current van in 1998.

I digress ... what else is new, eh?

Thank you so much for your help and prayers, funnylegs4.

callyflower and Marcie ~

So wonderful to see both of you here! I have missed you and would love updates on you and your families.

No possible danger of us getting an iPhone 6, since our carrier doesn't offer it. It's 7, 8, and a few super duper iPhones, like the XR.

And this, cally, is perfect:

Also, after going through smart phone purgatory with my parents, I also question how much you would actually use one or need one vs the frustration you might experience trying to use one. A basic cell phone might be the answer. After all, itís not like you are out and about in public or at jobs away from home all day.
    We do not need an iPhone or Smart phone. I use it to text a few people. It's small, it's aggravating, but also fits neatly in my purse and the pocket in my jeans, where an iPhone would not. It's there when I go out, if I have an emergency, or I need to call Jim, or he needs to call me. That is the entire reason we got a cell phone 18 1/2 years ago, with this same carrier.

I'm already burned out from the whole external hard drive back up adventure. I'm talking to our computer, stroking her and comforting her, so she remains cool, now, I have to activate the iPad, then teach Jim how to use it, or be at his beck and call, when he has a question. (See examples of my day above ). I am overloaded. I'm getting hot, like our iMac. I can't handle too many changes at one time.

I'm also grieving profoundly, and that messes with one's retention, attention span, emotions, reflexes, sometimes to the point, where I wonder whether I still have my faculties.

Marcie, I'm so happy for your father-in-law that he loves and uses his iPad. Too bad we live so far apart, because he and Jim could get together and have some fun with their iPads over a cup of tea.

Virginia ~

Thank you for thinking of us. These, as you know, are stressful moments on the cancer journey. But, we remain hopeful and committed to whatever we can do to help Jim. I would like for Jim to be strong enough to tolerate radiation. I understand that is a giant desire, and every obstacle to it becoming a reality.

All we can do is follow the path, wherever it leads.

Thank you all so much for supporting, loving, praying for us and sending us your healing energy. We love you all and pray for you and your loved ones.

Love & Light,

Rose

16. The following 2 users say "thanks"

My daughter and I went to Denver a few weeks ago. Fave photo. 46A860A6-3FF2-4FA3-BA22-413A5F0F72AB.jpg

18. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

funnylegs4 ~

Thank you for the reassurance that the hard drive is ok. Yes, I checked everywhere, and it was gone. I do know how to eject things from the computer. I have an external DVD player, and I put a chip from my old camera, which still works, into the side of the computer to import to iPhoto.

When I posted yesterday evening, I hadn't looked at the iPad yet. When I did, I discovered that I had to activate it, which ... of course. I hadn't thought about that. It has an SIM card, but I'm not really understanding how to use it from the directions, so I'm going to call our carrier and have someone walk me through it. I need hand over hand help, that's how horrible I am at technology.

I didn't call them last night, because I had to make dinner and clean up the kitchen. Then, I just collapse in a heap. This morning, I had to pick up Jim's meds, go to the ATM, which was out of service (grr...), order from Instacart, talk with the shopper about numerous items, which were out of stock or poor in freshness or quality, put away the groceries, after wiping them off with alcohol, make Jim's breakfast. I took a break, then I sorted out the port draw supplies for tomorrow's blood draw, as we got a box full to keep us in business for a couple of weeks. I still have an unopened box of Jim's briefs, and one with his favorite tea to open. I gathered and took out all of the trash, because I have to put the bins out tonight.

I did 2 loads of laundry, gave Jim a breathing treatment, ate something (and our new-ish microwave is acting silly now, so it's like everything is going wonky).

After I activate the iPad, I have to have time to sit with Jim to learn how to use it with him. We had the quick run down yesterday, and I'm not sure how much of it Jim retained (or how much I retained for that matter). What I'm going to suggest to John is that he bring his iPad, and we have ours to follow his example as we go along. That is the best way for us to learn.

Jim is pale, because his red and white blood cells are quite low. He's started taking a 10 mg THC capsule in the morning, after he read about its effectiveness in treating cancer in the latest AARP bulletin. It makes him a bit sleepy, and sometimes he's so relaxed and happy, he says goofy things. We laugh a lot, and this is good, because it's helping more than Tylenol or Advil has. And he doesn't want an opioid. So, he'll need to skip that dose on Saturday, so he can be awake and able to process what we're learning.

John texted asking if Jim was enjoying HIS iPad, and I replied the same as I've written here, albeit in fewer words!

We're all excited about our iPad, and we know we'll enjoy it. But I have priorities of caring for Jim and our home, van, well ... you know.

Tomorrow will be busy, as I have to tidy up and get the rest of the supplies out for Jim's draw, plus take his vitals, chart, so that Nancy has it all done, when she arrives. This allows us to have some personal time with her before we get to work on Jim.

I was trying to explain to a friend recently why I rely on email and texts for communication and don't have time for phone calls. It's difficult to grasp, if you aren't in our situation and aren't as old and worn out as we are. When we were younger, and Jim was healthy, we had more time for phone calls, FaceTime, socialization. But now, Jim isn't well enough to do the things he wants to do to help me, and he's frustrated, but that's better than creating more pain for him.

Fifty years ago, my life became very full and busy. It still is, but I'm 50 years older, and I spent all of that time lifting, working, under stress. And now, I have to save my energy for the vitally important stuff. I know the iPad is important to Jim and to me to back up our computer. But other things take precedence with immediate need for my attention.

Yesterday, John asked me about the termite extermination, and I just said, "John, I am one person, and I have to deal with things as they happen. This is a long term project to get ready for the extermination, and I'm doing it in between other stuff that needs to be done."

He nodded. He knows, he's just anxious to get everything we need done.

He also said he wants to help us get a small car and sell our van. I told him that we aren't going to trade in or sell our van, because we plan to donate it to someone, who needs it.

The AAA guy, who put in our new battery, offered to buy it right then and there. I said, "Umm, 1. we don't have any other form of transportation; 2. we're going to donate it to someone, who needs a wheelchair lift." He was very serious and told me to call him if I change my mind.

Our first wheelchair van was a gift when Jonathan and Michael were about 20 and 19. I have to pay it forward, as we did with that van, when Jim and I bought our current van in 1998.

I digress ... what else is new, eh?

Thank you so much for your help and prayers, funnylegs4.

callyflower and Marcie ~

So wonderful to see both of you here! I have missed you and would love updates on you and your families.

No possible danger of us getting an iPhone 6, since our carrier doesn't offer it. It's 7, 8, and a few super duper iPhones, like the XR.

And this, cally, is perfect:

We do not need an iPhone or Smart phone. I use it to text a few people. It's small, it's aggravating, but also fits neatly in my purse and the pocket in my jeans, where an iPhone would not. It's there when I go out, if I have an emergency, or I need to call Jim, or he needs to call me. That is the entire reason we got a cell phone 18 1/2 years ago, with this same carrier.

I'm already burned out from the whole external hard drive back up adventure. I'm talking to our computer, stroking her and comforting her, so she remains cool, now, I have to activate the iPad, then teach Jim how to use it, or be at his beck and call, when he has a question. (See examples of my day above ). I am overloaded. I'm getting hot, like our iMac. I can't handle too many changes at one time.

I'm also grieving profoundly, and that messes with one's retention, attention span, emotions, reflexes, sometimes to the point, where I wonder whether I still have my faculties.

Marcie, I'm so happy for your father-in-law that he loves and uses his iPad. Too bad we live so far apart, because he and Jim could get together and have some fun with their iPads over a cup of tea.

Virginia ~

Thank you for thinking of us. These, as you know, are stressful moments on the cancer journey. But, we remain hopeful and committed to whatever we can do to help Jim. I would like for Jim to be strong enough to tolerate radiation. I understand that is a giant desire, and every obstacle to it becoming a reality.

All we can do is follow the path, wherever it leads.

Thank you all so much for supporting, loving, praying for us and sending us your healing energy. We love you all and pray for you and your loved ones.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Hi Rose,

You’re very welcome! I have an external DVD player/burner combo. The DVD burner part doesn’t work anymore on mine. LOL. I need to buy another one...

As I said, My friend with the stroke was able to operate an iPad perfectly fine very early on in his recovery when he was still very weak and somewhat out of it from Neurofatique, he seemed half asleep, kinda zonked, so I have no doubt Jim will be able to operate it easily, THC or not once he gets the basic idea. I’v seen people with cognitive and intellectual impairments use iPads to speak with text to speech as well. I don’t know squat about iPad use myself, but I will try to help you as much as I can.

Donating the van is beautiful. I’m so sorry Jim is so pale from the low blood counts. My prayers always.

Callyflower, I love Denver!
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 09-13-2019 at 05:38 PM.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast