Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Jim's Journey

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Thanks for the information. I searched on line and found a site explaining how to get rid of the 502 Gateway error, but none of it worked. Eventually, I gave up and came back several hours later to find it was working. I'm sure it was an ISP problem and not our computer, because every other site I went to came up fine.

There have been so many OS updates in 6 years, I'm not sure I would be able to update to the latest version. Maybe I should call Apple and chat with tech support. The last time I did that the tech wanted me to take a few hours to erase everything and start over. I have a Passport device to use for back up of my computer, but I can't remember how to use it! That device is also old, and it holds back ups from previous Macs we've owned.

I would be lost without a computer. I need it to order groceries from Instacart, to communicate with Jim's doctors, to access his medical results on his health portal, to order stuff he needs. There are just so many things that need to be done. Like getting the van serviced and the spare tire repaired or replaced. Adding a trip to the Apple store is one more thing.

And this month will be busy, as we need to get a CAT scan for Jim prior to his visit with Dr. K on 9/27. A blood draw this Friday and 2 weeks later. Plus Jim wants me to set an appointment with the pulmonologist now.

I guess I'll just continue praying that our Mac stays strong for awhile.

Thank you for your prayers. Jim is feeling better, and my groin is fine now.

You are in our prayers too. Hope everything is going well for you on your projects.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Thanks for the information. I searched on line and found a site explaining how to get rid of the 502 Gateway error, but none of it worked. Eventually, I gave up and came back several hours later to find it was working. I'm sure it was an ISP problem and not our computer, because every other site I went to came up fine.

There have been so many OS updates in 6 years, I'm not sure I would be able to update to the latest version. Maybe I should call Apple and chat with tech support. The last time I did that the tech wanted me to take a few hours to erase everything and start over. I have a Passport device to use for back up of my computer, but I can't remember how to use it! That device is also old, and it holds back ups from previous Macs we've owned.

I would be lost without a computer. I need it to order groceries from Instacart, to communicate with Jim's doctors, to access his medical results on his health portal, to order stuff he needs. There are just so many things that need to be done. Like getting the van serviced and the spare tire repaired or replaced. Adding a trip to the Apple store is one more thing.

And this month will be busy, as we need to get a CAT scan for Jim prior to his visit with Dr. K on 9/27. A blood draw this Friday and 2 weeks later. Plus Jim wants me to set an appointment with the pulmonologist now.

I guess I'll just continue praying that our Mac stays strong for awhile.

Thank you for your prayers. Jim is feeling better, and my groin is fine now.

You are in our prayers too. Hope everything is going well for you on your projects.

Love & Light,

Rose
    You’re very welcome Rose. When my old Mac wouldn’t update I called Apple and was told the same thing about erasing to completely reboot the entire computer. It proved to be too much of a chore so I simply bought a new Mac and I use the old un updated one as file storage because it really does not work with anything else LOL. I would suggest getting a new easy to use external hard drive at least 500GB in size, like this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...iABEgJhRvD_BwE and backing up the entire system on that before doing anything regardless. I was always told I must back up every single computer file because you really never know what can happen. Digital files are really not built to last anyway. If you have the software “Time Machine” in your Mac, hook up the new external drive via USB and click on Time Machine, then follow the prompts and Time Machine will put every aspect of your computer into the external drive as an exact copy. I backed up my system this way when my old Mac went down so I was able to copy everything into the new computer. Btw if you back up with Time Machine and you want to just put one file into a new computer high light the file and click copy paste rather than dragging and dropping the file or it will mess up Time Machine. Hope that helps.

Well good news I got more $$$ rolling in. :) Thanks!
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Rose, when anything goes wrong that involves e-mail just blame Spectrum Webmail. My e-mail switches over to Windows Live Mail which I have had forever and always loved. When I got Spectrum and everything was bundled I inherited Spectrum Webmail, so I got them to (after many hours) send it over to my Windows Live Mail. I have had probably 6 notices in the past 4 days that my Spectrum account was going to be terminated - no reason. I would go into whatever attachment they would send and sometime it would say the site was no longer in operation and other times it would ask for my e-mail and password which I would give them. As of either this morning or last night they said I was in good standing - we'll see how long that last. I still have to go into Webmail and delete all the old e-mails. UGGH!

Glad your groin is better and now if you can just get Jim to take it easy. He does this every once in awhile. He will go along for awhile and then all of a sudden he just has to help. Bless him.
    Virginia

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

funnylegs4 ~

Congratulations on your money boon! That is excellent news!

Thank you for the great information on Time Machine and the link to the external hard drive. I found Time Machine in our System Preferences (I think all Macs have it?). Then I found a video explaining how to use it, step by step. It doesnít appear to be too difficult.

I will feel much better, if I have everything backed up. Do I leave the hard drive plugged into the computer all of the time, or is this just a one time operation? Or do I need to plug it in periodically for updates on anything new?

When I get my new Mac, can I give the hard drive to the Apple people and let them install my Time Machine back up data? That way, I wouldnít have to take my old Mac to the Apple store.

Also, when I get my new Mac, I will certainly keep up with the OS and other updates. Iíll hope that it will last me as long as this one has or longer.

I really appreciate your guidance, funnylegs4. Thank you so much.

Virginia ~

I blame everything on Spectrum! I had Mac mail, which I loved like you love your Windows Live mail, and Spectrum suddenly stopped supporting it without notification. Iíve learned to live with web mail, but I think that when I have a new Mac, Iíll be able to have Mac mail again, as I found information on Spectrumís site about setting up Apple mail.

Iím sorry Spectrum is messing with you too.

Youíre right about Jim. He does tend to get a bee in his bonnet occasionally, thinking that he can do far more than he can.

Today, as I was cleaning the patio doors, I decided to remove Jonís wheelchair, which has been sitting at the end of our dining room table for 12 years or so. The chair is gigantic in height and width and pretty heavy with all of itís gadgets and features.

I decided to put it in the garage, in the area, where Iíve been stashing our huge empty boxes until I get around to calling the trash company for pick up. First, I had to rearrange stuff in the garage.

As I was going out the front door, as thatís the only way to get the chair into our very crowded garage, Jim stopped me. He took off the leg rests, which I placed on the Roho seat. I worried about his stretching and exertion, but he was fine. Of course, he said heíd take it out. Guess what I said?

I covered it with my motherís old white queen size blanket, which Jim used until it just pilled up too much. I have enough room to store a few oversized boxes, but Iíll have to call the trash company more often now.

Itís amazing how much the entire room opened up without Jonís chair there. But, now I have to adjust to Jonís chair not being there. We had always hoped that Jon would be well enough to get back in his chair and go out for a ride in the van. It breaks my heart that he didnít get that ride.

I have to set aside my emotions for practicality.

Praying that Dorian doesnít hit your community, Virginia.

Thank you all for your love and support. Our prayers are with you and your loved ones.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

funnylegs4 ~

Congratulations on your money boon! That is excellent news!

Thank you for the great information on Time Machine and the link to the external hard drive. I found Time Machine in our System Preferences (I think all Macs have it?). Then I found a video explaining how to use it, step by step. It doesn’t appear to be too difficult.

I will feel much better, if I have everything backed up. Do I leave the hard drive plugged into the computer all of the time, or is this just a one time operation? Or do I need to plug it in periodically for updates on anything new?

When I get my new Mac, can I give the hard drive to the Apple people and let them install my Time Machine back up data? That way, I wouldn’t have to take my old Mac to the Apple store.

Also, when I get my new Mac, I will certainly keep up with the OS and other updates. I’ll hope that it will last me as long as this one has or longer.

I really appreciate your guidance, funnylegs4. Thank you so much.

Virginia ~

I blame everything on Spectrum! I had Mac mail, which I loved like you love your Windows Live mail, and Spectrum suddenly stopped supporting it without notification. I’ve learned to live with web mail, but I think that when I have a new Mac, I’ll be able to have Mac mail again, as I found information on Spectrum’s site about setting up Apple mail.

I’m sorry Spectrum is messing with you too.

You’re right about Jim. He does tend to get a bee in his bonnet occasionally, thinking that he can do far more than he can.

Today, as I was cleaning the patio doors, I decided to remove Jon’s wheelchair, which has been sitting at the end of our dining room table for 12 years or so. The chair is gigantic in height and width and pretty heavy with all of it’s gadgets and features.

I decided to put it in the garage, in the area, where I’ve been stashing our huge empty boxes until I get around to calling the trash company for pick up. First, I had to rearrange stuff in the garage.

As I was going out the front door, as that’s the only way to get the chair into our very crowded garage, Jim stopped me. He took off the leg rests, which I placed on the Roho seat. I worried about his stretching and exertion, but he was fine. Of course, he said he’d take it out. Guess what I said?

I covered it with my mother’s old white queen size blanket, which Jim used until it just pilled up too much. I have enough room to store a few oversized boxes, but I’ll have to call the trash company more often now.

It’s amazing how much the entire room opened up without Jon’s chair there. But, now I have to adjust to Jon’s chair not being there. We had always hoped that Jon would be well enough to get back in his chair and go out for a ride in the van. It breaks my heart that he didn’t get that ride.

I have to set aside my emotions for practicality.

Praying that Dorian doesn’t hit your community, Virginia.

Thank you all for your love and support. Our prayers are with you and your loved ones.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Hi Rose,
    Thanks so much! You're very welcome! You can leave the drive in or unplug it. Your choice. I usually unplug mine and plug it back in when I want to update again. If you un plug you do need to plug it back in periodically. I believe when you re plug it the backup is shorter than the first. The first backup takes a few hrs I think because it is copying internal parts of a computer but later backups are files(I think). Just remember to change the settings to stop auto back up and click eject before you unplug the USB or the backup will get corrupted. The auto continuous back up is for people who want to keep the drive plugged in. Yes I believe the Apple store can restore everything with Time Machine. They did it for me once. You may want to call ahead and double check. I would highly suggest getting a nice Mac laptop when you get a new Mac so the computer is mobile and you can bring it to Jim to play with when he wants to use it, or carry it around as needed like I do. Macs last and are pretty hardy when taken care of. When you get a new Mac computer and turn it on for the first time the computer will prompt "Do you want to restore with Time Machine?" so you could maybe do it yourself with guidance from Apple on the phone if that's better.

Does that help dear? Can you donate Jon's wheelchair?
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 09-04-2019 at 09:25 AM.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Thank you so much, and yes, this is so helpful. I will definitely call the Apple Store to ask about them installing my Time Machine data into my new Mac.

Don't we need to be wireless to have a laptop? We aren't, and we'd prefer not to be wireless. That was the problem with setting up Jim's iPad.

I've been looking at replacing our antique cell phone with a smart phone or an iPhone. What do you recommend? It has to be easy for us to understand and use. I was hoping that we could get internet connection on the smart phone, and Jim could use the phone for that purpose.

Our need for the cell phone is basic: contact with each other when we're apart for any reason. Next purpose is to text with Nancy and John about visits or crises, and with a couple of very dear friends.

But it would be nice to use the smart phone features, like the camera and internet access.

Regarding Jon's wheelchair: we have 4 or more of his chairs, which we want to donate, all in the garage. I just haven't gotten to doing that yet.

John texted today to ask how I was doing in preparing for the termite extermination. Well, it is slow going, because there are so many other daily things I need to do, such as cleaning Jonathan's room, deep cleaning our home after months of neglect, memorials for my boys, etc. Of course, there is caring for Jim at the top of my list. And, I tire after a long day.

I collapse in Jon's recliner, as Jim and I watch TV. Sometimes we both take a nap for an hour or so. But I don't usually have more than 5 hours of sleep a day.

With Jim's approval, I emailed Dr. K today, so I'm hoping Jim's CAT Scan will be scheduled soon. We are anxious to know the status of his tumor.

Thank you again, so much, for your help and guidance, funnylegs4. Many prayers always on the way for you, dear friend.

Love & Light,

Rose

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Thank you so much, and yes, this is so helpful. I will definitely call the Apple Store to ask about them installing my Time Machine data into my new Mac.

Don't we need to be wireless to have a laptop? We aren't, and we'd prefer not to be wireless. That was the problem with setting up Jim's iPad.

I've been looking at replacing our antique cell phone with a smart phone or an iPhone. What do you recommend? It has to be easy for us to understand and use. I was hoping that we could get internet connection on the smart phone, and Jim could use the phone for that purpose.

Our need for the cell phone is basic: contact with each other when we're apart for any reason. Next purpose is to text with Nancy and John about visits or crises, and with a couple of very dear friends.

But it would be nice to use the smart phone features, like the camera and internet access.

Regarding Jon's wheelchair: we have 4 or more of his chairs, which we want to donate, all in the garage. I just haven't gotten to doing that yet.

John texted today to ask how I was doing in preparing for the termite extermination. Well, it is slow going, because there are so many other daily things I need to do, such as cleaning Jonathan's room, deep cleaning our home after months of neglect, memorials for my boys, etc. Of course, there is caring for Jim at the top of my list. And, I tire after a long day.

I collapse in Jon's recliner, as Jim and I watch TV. Sometimes we both take a nap for an hour or so. But I don't usually have more than 5 hours of sleep a day.

With Jim's approval, I emailed Dr. K today, so I'm hoping Jim's CAT Scan will be scheduled soon. We are anxious to know the status of his tumor.

Thank you again, so much, for your help and guidance, funnylegs4. Many prayers always on the way for you, dear friend.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Hi Rose,

You’re very welcome! I’m so so glad I could help! Thanks! I hate wireless. I actually use my laptop with a modem ethernet connection. (Internet is called ethernet if connected to a wall as I said before) When I want to make my computer mobile I just connect it to another ethernet connection or I don’t use the internet. Sorry I should have mentioned that in the last post! I don’t trust wifi and my ethernet connection is really good. I also hate iPhones. My phone is a retro flip phone because the iPhones and Smart Phones drive me crazy. Eventually I will probably need to switch to iPhone but I’m avoiding it as long as I can LOL. If I find as easier iPhone or Smart phone I’ll let you know. When I bought my flip phone which has a camera and some other neat features the phone store set it up for me and taught me to use it. Maybe they can help you in store with the phone. I know Sprint store helps with that! I actually like iPads a bit better for internet use(used iPad before but do NOT own one, my friend with the stroke let me use his iPad once) but iPhones definitely have good benefits. BTW, If you want to burn DVDs with the new Macs you need to buy a separate DVD burn drive because the new Macs don’t have built in DVD burners which sucks.

Prayers for the CAT scan results to be good!!! Please try to get more than 5 hrs of sleep!

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Thank you so much for helping me!

I've looked at laptops for Jim, but I thought they all had to be wireless. Where do I find an ethernet connecting laptop? I could just get a modem for him, so he could use it all of the time. That would be perfect for him.

I prefer the Mac for the large monitor. It is much easier for me to see and to compose my novellas. I like the large screen for viewing videos, movies, etc. A former friend, who used to help us with our computer stuff, suggested returning to the Mini Mac, but that requires buying a separate monitor. I like the all in one Mac.

Today, I ordered the external hard drive you recommended from Amazon. I checked the model number, and it's the same one at the same price. It will be delivered tomorrow.

Will the external hard drive copy all of my old Apple mail folders? (From my Mac email since 2013, which Spectrum won't let me use or support, which is why I use their stupid web mail)

Thanks for the advice on burning DVDs. I don't do that nor do I intend to start doing it.

I'm with you on the smart/iPhone thing. Ours isn't a flip phone, but it's quite small and has a keyboard for texting that slides out of the side of it. Remember when technology started to boom, and the phrase, "that's so dial up" was coined? That's us.

John's phone is never more than 2" from his fingertips. His mother and in-laws are elderly with major health issues. He has a large family and a thousand friends. He has a job requiring continuing communication. And he has us.

He's what I call a "phone slinger" (we watch a lot of old westerns on TMC with "gunslingers). He can sling that smart phone 6 ways to Sunday. If we're chatting and aren't sure of the date or name of something/someone, he just speaks into his phone and asks the question. He has used his phone many times as a flashlight, when helping us with some task in the home. He takes great pictures (including our favorite photo of Jonathan) and has lots of short videos of his vacations, daughter's games, etc.

I know that he can teach us how to use whatever smart/iPhone we get, but it's the learning and retaining that can become frustrating. I've read posts by folks on the MS forum discussing their smart phone experiences. Every time Nancy visits, she tries to find a photo or a test result or even Jim's folder on her smart phone, and she gets flustered.

And these are all very intelligent people, as you know. I think for us, all of the swiping will present a problem.

John gave me his phone to take the photo of the bottom of Michael's bronze urn as he held it up. It's heavy. I took about 10 photos in just the blink of an eye. I'm used to pressing a button for the photos. The touch has to be light. John just laughed and deleted all but one photo.

Jim has very large hands, with a tiny tremor now, and he even has problems holding our land line phone without pushing a button terminating the call in mid sentence. That's been going on for years.

But our small phone is also cumbersome for him to handle.

I don't know. I'm just worried about everything conking out on us at the same time, as everything, like us is old and worn out.

Before I went to bed last night, I watched a brief video on YouTube. When I attempted close out of Firefox, the spinning beach ball started and wouldn't stop. I couldn't get to Force Quit under the Apple, nothing. I called down to Jim to tell him, and he said I should shut down and handle it in the morning. But I was worried that this was a signal that our devoted Mac was biting the dust after 6 years.

I finally shut down by pushing the button on the back of the monitor. I waited for about 10 minutes to let everything cool down. Unplugged the modem. The whole 9 yards. Pushed the button to turn it back on, and voila! I closed out the open windows, quit all apps, and shut down via the Apple menu.

Things have been fine today. I shut down every night. Today, I've been putting the computer to sleep, when I'm busy with other things.

The modem is only 2 years old, but it gets hot on the floor without air circulation around it. I've moved it so that it can get the benefit of the fan on the stair landing.

Dr. K ordered a CT scan for Jim, and radiology called today for an appointment. I returned their call and had to leave a message for them, which is new. We waited all afternoon for the call back. It just needs to be done before Jim sees Dr. K on 9/27.

I asked Jim whether he felt he could manage going in our van, as opposed to asking John to transport us. Jim said he felt that he could manage the van, because the car is small and confining. When I said that I would drive, he insisted that he could drive.

"Jim, no. You can't and I won't let you drive. You haven't driven the van for over a year. You're the patient having the CT scan. You need to be relaxed and comfortable for that test, as I know it will not be easy for you. I'm driving. End of conversation."

But, as I ponder it, I think John's help would be very much welcomed for me as the caregiver. I wouldn't have the tension of driving, of getting him in and out of the van, or fetching a wheelchair for him as he wobbles. I know Jim wants independence, but this isn't the right kind of independence for him now. He might get out of breath just walking down the driveway.

It's so difficult to deprive Jim, but I also have to protect him.

Thanks for listening as I drone on ...

We love you all and send you and your loved ones our prayers and positive energy.

Love & Light,

Rose

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Rose, back to phones when you decide to get one. I have an iPhone and as you know I fussed like crazy because I didn't know how to use it. It was hardly any time before I was reading this forum and posting on it from my iPhone. I text, listen to podcast, read the news, look up things on it, use the camera and pretty much do what I want to do. Now, that is not to say I use everything on the phone because I can't, but I learned to do what I wanted to do. I have seen people do so many things with their iphones that I can't do, however I have not cared to learn those things so I just stick to the basic things that I want. I sometime use the timer, and just many little things.

I got mine through Consumer Cellular and they helped me install it and get set up. It is a iPhone 6sPlus and I only paid $200.00 for it. It was on sale, but I think they usually have some model on sale. I pay $25.00 for 250 minutes talk time and unlimited text. With taxes it is a little over $27.00 a month. When I use it here at home it doesn't cost me anything for data such as reading the news and coming on here, because I have wyfi. My wyfi is through my modem that I have to have anyway for my computer. So, when I am reading on here or posting I am often sitting in my living room doing it on my phone.

I think you might want to look at several phones and get the one you want, but as far as what it cost I felt this covered my needs and I am very well satisfied.

P.S. My phone was not a refurbished one it was brand new. Sometime they sell refurbished ones, but I got a new one.
    Last edited by Virginia; 09-05-2019 at 08:08 PM.
    Virginia

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Thank you so much for helping me!

I've looked at laptops for Jim, but I thought they all had to be wireless. Where do I find an ethernet connecting laptop? I could just get a modem for him, so he could use it all of the time. That would be perfect for him.

I prefer the Mac for the large monitor. It is much easier for me to see and to compose my novellas. I like the large screen for viewing videos, movies, etc. A former friend, who used to help us with our computer stuff, suggested returning to the Mini Mac, but that requires buying a separate monitor. I like the all in one Mac.

Today, I ordered the external hard drive you recommended from Amazon. I checked the model number, and it's the same one at the same price. It will be delivered tomorrow.

Will the external hard drive copy all of my old Apple mail folders? (From my Mac email since 2013, which Spectrum won't let me use or support, which is why I use their stupid web mail)

Thanks for the advice on burning DVDs. I don't do that nor do I intend to start doing it.

I'm with you on the smart/iPhone thing. Ours isn't a flip phone, but it's quite small and has a keyboard for texting that slides out of the side of it. Remember when technology started to boom, and the phrase, "that's so dial up" was coined? That's us.

John's phone is never more than 2" from his fingertips. His mother and in-laws are elderly with major health issues. He has a large family and a thousand friends. He has a job requiring continuing communication. And he has us.

He's what I call a "phone slinger" (we watch a lot of old westerns on TMC with "gunslingers). He can sling that smart phone 6 ways to Sunday. If we're chatting and aren't sure of the date or name of something/someone, he just speaks into his phone and asks the question. He has used his phone many times as a flashlight, when helping us with some task in the home. He takes great pictures (including our favorite photo of Jonathan) and has lots of short videos of his vacations, daughter's games, etc.

I know that he can teach us how to use whatever smart/iPhone we get, but it's the learning and retaining that can become frustrating. I've read posts by folks on the MS forum discussing their smart phone experiences. Every time Nancy visits, she tries to find a photo or a test result or even Jim's folder on her smart phone, and she gets flustered.

And these are all very intelligent people, as you know. I think for us, all of the swiping will present a problem.

John gave me his phone to take the photo of the bottom of Michael's bronze urn as he held it up. It's heavy. I took about 10 photos in just the blink of an eye. I'm used to pressing a button for the photos. The touch has to be light. John just laughed and deleted all but one photo.

Jim has very large hands, with a tiny tremor now, and he even has problems holding our land line phone without pushing a button terminating the call in mid sentence. That's been going on for years.

But our small phone is also cumbersome for him to handle.

I don't know. I'm just worried about everything conking out on us at the same time, as everything, like us is old and worn out.

Before I went to bed last night, I watched a brief video on YouTube. When I attempted close out of Firefox, the spinning beach ball started and wouldn't stop. I couldn't get to Force Quit under the Apple, nothing. I called down to Jim to tell him, and he said I should shut down and handle it in the morning. But I was worried that this was a signal that our devoted Mac was biting the dust after 6 years.

I finally shut down by pushing the button on the back of the monitor. I waited for about 10 minutes to let everything cool down. Unplugged the modem. The whole 9 yards. Pushed the button to turn it back on, and voila! I closed out the open windows, quit all apps, and shut down via the Apple menu.

Things have been fine today. I shut down every night. Today, I've been putting the computer to sleep, when I'm busy with other things.

The modem is only 2 years old, but it gets hot on the floor without air circulation around it. I've moved it so that it can get the benefit of the fan on the stair landing.

Dr. K ordered a CT scan for Jim, and radiology called today for an appointment. I returned their call and had to leave a message for them, which is new. We waited all afternoon for the call back. It just needs to be done before Jim sees Dr. K on 9/27.

I asked Jim whether he felt he could manage going in our van, as opposed to asking John to transport us. Jim said he felt that he could manage the van, because the car is small and confining. When I said that I would drive, he insisted that he could drive.

"Jim, no. You can't and I won't let you drive. You haven't driven the van for over a year. You're the patient having the CT scan. You need to be relaxed and comfortable for that test, as I know it will not be easy for you. I'm driving. End of conversation."

But, as I ponder it, I think John's help would be very much welcomed for me as the caregiver. I wouldn't have the tension of driving, of getting him in and out of the van, or fetching a wheelchair for him as he wobbles. I know Jim wants independence, but this isn't the right kind of independence for him now. He might get out of breath just walking down the driveway.

It's so difficult to deprive Jim, but I also have to protect him.

Thanks for listening as I drone on ...

We love you all and send you and your loved ones our prayers and positive energy.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Hi Rose,

You’re very welcome! So happy to help. Yes my laptops have all been connected to modems. My black modem box has a blue wire in the back that connects to USB plug on the computer or another hole in the newer Macs that has a little squiggle symbol (it might be called iLink or firewire when it has the squiggle that looks gray. I forget) I got the wires and adapters for laptop to ethernet from Staples so you could call Staples and ask which ethernet cables go with your new Mac laptop and have it all shipped to your home from Stables or B&H. My cable provider said it was possible to have multiple modems and ethernet connections in one home and they can install the modems for you I.e one modem for you, the other near Jim, for him. My modem doesn’t overheat like that yet mine is way older…weird.

The Apple software called “Mail” for email that has an icon that looks like a stamp you mean??? Yes as far as I know Time Machine copies EVERY SINGLE THING in your Mac. Emails, folders, photos, internal parts that tell a computer how to update, EVERYTHING.

Yes the swiping and touch screens on iPhones and Smart phones don’t work well with my spastic fingers and when I’v tried to talk into the SIRI or google type softwares for voice commands they NEVER understand me. LOL. I love the cameras on iPhones though! Parts of my films were actually shot with my crew’s iPhones and blended seamlessly with footage from a bigger camcorder and camera because the iPhones take really good quality HD images.

Once when I got that funny rainbow beachball, after I shut down to let the computer rest, someone told me to go to “Disk Utility” in Mac and click “First Aid” and then click “repair permissions” wait for the process to finish, and voila, the beachball stopped happening. “Repair permissions” clears crud out of your computer I think. It’s also a good idea to delete trash(in the little waste basket icon) completely off the hard drive periodically, so your hard drive doesn’t get too full.

RE: Seeing the screen. I was once dumb enough to break my glasses when I needed to use my laptop for work. I called my low vision friend and he taught me how to use the laptop trackpad to enlarge the text and photos on the Mac laptop to super jumbo size. It worked perfectly. I could see everything without my glasses beautifully. Including this forum!!! You can adjust the text and page sizes by using the trackpad and alternatively also using keyboard shortcuts. We taught the same trick to my friend with the stroke for his computer when his eyesight started to go. I can ask my friend exactly how to do it again if you need it. I just swipe both fingers out at once, on my trackpad at once and jumbo size appears.

So so Glad you bought the external hard drive I suggested. I can help you with tech support on it when it arrives if needed.

Yeah, I wouldn’t let Jim drive home for sure and John being there for safety is a good idea. Prayers to you both always!
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 09-05-2019 at 08:49 PM.

20. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast