Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 17374243444546474849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim's Journey

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Watch TV, Sleep, Eat ...

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Donna ~

Thinking of you as you travel homeward. Praying for safe travels. Sending lots of love.

For those, who might be interested in our "C-virus adventure" today, please see jingle's post, which I posted in earlier today:

http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/...2-Toilet-paper

Meanwhile, with Jim ...

He's still staying up all night watching TV. Last night, he watched an animal channel for hours. Then, he's just wiped out in the morning, throughout the day and evening. He was too tired to let me change his britches this morning, and he needed a nap. I do understand, but I worry about a UTI, when he's in wet britches. We may have to discuss the condom catheter again, depending upon the results of his UA and blood draw by Nancy on Tuesday.

As for supply hoarding, I plead guilty. I've been doing it for months to get ahead of any kind of crisis. So, we have plenty of options for Jim. I just ordered Depends for Men guards today, which we put in Jim's britches to help absorb more urine. They won't be delivered until 3/19 at the earliest.

Jim ate about a quarter of his breakfast: oatmeal, apple sauce, prunes, and strawberry preserves. He ate an oatmilk yogurt, which I ordered through Instacart today (see Jingle's thread). He asked for his decaf espresso and a couple of gluten free cookies, which he enjoyed. For dinner, he wants spaghetti noodles with pasta sauce. No veggies, no Field Roast Italian sausage. Just sauce and noodles.

At this point, Jim is holding his own with just enough nutrition to keep him going, I think. He remains well hydrated. His vitals are good. Fatigue from cancer, from the radiation, from just trying to battle through this every day, is the biggest factor for Jim right now.

While he is awake or drifting in and out of sleep through the night, when I am sleeping in his futon nest, he hasn't had an urgent need to call me for a few days. This is a blessing for Jim and for me, of course, because I am able to get a few hours of straight sleep. I am still struggling with the time change. Jim might be too, but generally, he is never sure what time it is, although he has clocks and the TV in the room. And he sleeps whenever he sleeps.

So, for now, that is us.

We thank you all for your love, prayers, positive, healing energy and return it to you and your loved ones ten-fold. Be healthy. Be safe. We Love You!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Rose, Can't blame you for stocking up on all your's and Jims needs. You can't be without those things and you can't run out to get them. Life here in NY is kind of surreal... Empty shelves everywhere. We pretty much have what we need and as far as food I can certainly get creative with what's in my pantry and fridge. I'm going to get a couple of Kathleen's perscriptions today that are low. Hopefully they'll fill them even though they aren't due. Schools here are all closed and businesses are being urged to close. I'm thankful that Kathleen's party wsa last week. If it was this week we would certainly have to cancel. Last week there were I think 100ish cases in NY now it's over 700. We were planning a surprise 60th party for my husband the first week in April which I'm certain we'll have to postpone. My sister was to be leaving for vacation to Florida today but they canceled. I'm hoping for nice weather so at least we can get outside for walks and bike rides. My daughter Kelly and I watched 2 movies with a little but of a scare factor call us crazy! Contagion, and Outbreak! Stay safe everyone!
    Mary Grace

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Mary Grace ~

You and your sister are in good company, because apparently lots of people are watching those movies right now. Netflix has a documentary called "Pandemic", which is also trending.

I don't need anything to make me more nervous about the C-virus, so I avoid those movies.

One of our friends had a vacation to NYC planned, with tickets to a Billy Joel concert and 4 Broadway shows. Initially, I begged her to cancel, and then she had to cancel, because Broadway went dark, and Billy canceled.

Realistically, we have no idea how many people in the U.S. are COVID-19 positive, because we don't have enough testing kits. Our hospitals are not prepared for an onslaught of seriously ill C-virus patients. Not enough ICU beds or ventilators.

To me, this is appalling that we aren't prepared to handle a pandemic. Or any disaster, like an earthquake, flood, hurricane, tornado. We should be ready for anything, since all of those catastrophes and more have occurred numerous times over in the history of our Planet.

Isn't it heart-wrenching that people scramble to get the last package of toilet paper out of sheer desperation? More stress for everyone, because we are not prepared for this pandemic.

We were told initially that it was fine, just like a common cold, nothing to worry about. Now, we have a pandemic, the stock market is a mess, people are not working, not being paid, self-isolating, social distancing. Honesty matters.

All we can do is wait it out and do our best to be as safe as possible.

JIM'S UPDATE

Nancy confused the date for our visit, so it has been deferred to Friday.

Dr. K's office called and left a message today cancelling Jim's 3/23 appointment. The reschedule month is July.

When I told this to Jim today, Jim said wryly, "I hope I'm still here in July."

I hope so too, because we'll celebrate our 28th anniversary.

Jim had difficulty pulling himself up in the bed today. He was sinking into the mattress and in the wrong position in every regard. Eventually, I unlocked the bed brakes, pulled the bed away from the wall, and pulled Jim up in the bed using his bottom sheet. It was somewhat successful. Then, push the bed back, lock the brakes and try to refit the bottom sheet on the bed (not an easy task).

It was exhausting for both of us. At the end, I said to Jim, "Remember how you said the other day that I'm always right?" He nodded. "Okay, then, we're going to do it the way that has been the most successful, and you can stop trying to invent new ways of getting up in the bed. Feet down, head up, ladder, me with my hand on your back to support you as you raise up. No other way works, so stop trying to think of them. Thank you."

Jim agreed. In his efforts to help me and himself, he makes it harder on both of us.

He ate 3/4 of an egg and a few fries (per his request after a long morning nap). A cup of diced peaches. Tonight he wants to have last night's leftovers of mashed potatoes, gravy, and peas. Of course, as always his eyes are bigger than his tummy.

Waiting for a BM, but he's not in discomfort. I don't know whether he has enough food in his system to promote a BM.

Up to the minute, that is us.

We love you all, pray for you and your loved ones to be safe and healthy, and as free of stress as possible in this very stressful time. We are not alone. We have each other.

Healing prayers and positive energy for all ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

Blog Entries

HI dear Rose
    I'm sorry that I've been incommunicado the last few days! We got home from South Carolina just fine and the next morning I woke up feeling unwell. Sore throat and fever but no cough or anything else. I called our doctor and we talked over the C virus - he said he was virtually positive that I had another virus but if things changed, he gave me the address of the C testing clinic (not a drive through). I am MUCH better now and we are isolated for 14 after travel anyway, so it's onward and upward for me. I cleaned the bathrooms today, made muffins, changed the sheets and taught an online class. Even though we are not allowed out, it feels like there is so much to do! I miss Nick so much. But I know that he is safe - he is in his own room with carers he knows and loves who go only home and back again to be screened before they enter the building. No where could be safer for him. He is one of only 3 left in the big building and the nurses are doing a great job. Everything is such a worry these days. I have thought of you so often reading about C-virus protocols in isolation and keeping everything clean and sterile. I think, my friend Rose has been doing this for years! Everyone should take lessons from you! I am so glad that Jim is eating and that he's keeping his spirits up with your help. But it's a worry that he is losing strength making it harder for you to help in bed. Does this mean that John will have to come over help the way he did with Jon? Thinking of you so often my dear. xoxo Donna
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

7. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Donna*)))))) ~

I'm so sorry that you were ill, but I'm thankful that you have improved. Has Jim had any symptoms similar to yours? I pray that you continue to be well, both of you.

Oh, I know how much you must miss Nick and long to be with him during this crisis. Are you at least getting a chance to FaceTime? How grateful I am that Nick has such superior care. I know that is comforting and reassuring to you and Jim. Where are all of the other residents of the home?

This must be hard for Nick with soccer (er ... football) being suspended, just when Liverpool was about to clinch the title! Hockey, baseball, basketball, all suspended. Please tell Nick that we empathize with him, as we were sure this was the year the Dodgers would win the World Series (cheated out of it by the cheating Astros).

Sadly, I'm feeling like this virus is going to be our new normal. Look at what climate change is doing to our planet. Scientists give us 10 more years before it's too late to turn things around. A pandemic is bound to happen, when we don't have control of our climate, or strict worldwide enforcement of safe food/unsafe food, or preparation and every thing mis en place for any kind of crisis, be it war, or natural disasters, or pandemics.

The entire world is in chaos, because no country was truly prepared for this catastrophe. It's mind boggling. Do we all live in a bubble?

I've lived through earthquakes, one really large and damaging one for us in 2014, so I have always endeavored to be prepared. That's why we have toilet paper, and I'm not running to a store in panic. That's why every month, we have 9 cases of bottled water delivered and stacked in our garage. That's why I try to keep all meds refilled on time. It's impossible to get a "tide over" batch of meds for a crisis. That has always troubled me.

For Jonathan and Michael, every year, I had to stuff a freezer bag full of essentials for them to take to school in case of a disaster or emergency. That meant seizure meds, and I had to get special orders for those extra meds. That meant a clean shirt/pants, juice box, canned fruit, diapers, spoons, cups ... And yes, I did squeeze all of that into a freezer bag! I had that down to a science!

So, if I can be prepared for an emergency, catastrophe, crisis, why can't the leaders throughout the world do the same thing?

I know exactly how many ICU beds and ventilators our hospital has. It isn't enough. In Italy, physicians are choosing patients to save and patients to allow to perish. Doesn't this sound barbaric for 2020?

ABOUT JOHN

As for John visiting to help me pull Jim up in bed, unfortunately, we have to socially distance ourselves from John and family now. John is still working, in of all places, grocery stores, as he is a rep for a distributor. He has a teenage daughter, who I suspect is having trouble with socially distancing. And his wife is an executive, who travels up and down the coast for her company, although she does work at home too. Their favorite social activity is going out to eat or getting food and bringing it in.

I don't know what John has been doing this week, and I should text him to find out the latest with him. He has offered to help in any way that he can, but my fear of the virus right now is approaching TILT. Also, John couldn't be here every time Jim needs to climb up in the bed. This happens about every 3-5 hours day and night.

Jim sleeps in the morning to afternoon, then in the evening, so at night, he is awake and watching TV. Last night, after I climbed in bed, he called me to bring him some tea, and something else, which I can't remember. About an hour and half later, he called me. MOM was working, and he was having a very nice, good colored BM in bed, of course. I returned to bed about 1:30 a.m., and then Jim began coughing, needing a breathing treatment, and pulling up in the bed.

TOMORROW

Nancy will visit. There was confusion over her schedule, so we moved it to Friday. Blood draw, UA and she will bring an occult blood kit to test his stool. I hope that she will also bring isolation gowns, which I am having trouble finding and running low on, as well as alcohol wipes.

JULY

I called Dr. K's office today, and Jim's next appointment has been rescheduled for July 17. I remarked to the scheduler that it's quite possible that the virus will still be active then, so we can be hopeful that it won't be and that Jim will still be here and strong enough to make the appointment. The first date she offered to me, I replied, "That is our anniversary."

She said, "Oh no. Well, we can't have that."

July. That is 4 months from now.

Donna ~ we pray for you, Jim, Nick, Natalie, and your beautiful family that you will all be well and safe and weather this crisis with your inimitable courage. We love you.

We love all of you and send healing energy and prayers during this difficult time.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 03-19-2020 at 08:50 PM.

9. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Exclamation California Is In "Lock Down" Mode

((((((Hugs to All*)))))) ~

California Governor Newsom announced this evening that the state is now in “lock down” for an undetermined amount of time in an effort to slow the spread of COVID-19.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavi...241358846.html

The shelter-in-place order requires that all Californians remain in their homes, with the exception of grocery shopping, picking up medications at a pharmacy, and walking or exercising outdoors, while maintaing a safe distance from others in proximity.

“Essential workers” will be allowed to continue working. Fortunately, Nancy falls into that category.

I don’t know whether Instacart shoppers will be allowed to continue working, but I pray that they are, because I don’t want to venture out to the stores. I checked the four stores, where I shop, on Instacart, and they are all out of stock on 95% of the items I have purchased previously. No kleenex, which we do need. Out of fresh produce. Out of Jim’s applesauce, apple juice, ice cream. No cheese. No coconut milk. Fortunately, we are fairly well stocked for now, so I pray that the shelves will be restocked within a week.

This is rather alarming, but it is clearly necessary to stop the COVID-19 spread. With our population of 40 million people, the potential for the virus to run rampant is obviously high. We have to do something, and this is it.

This won’t really impact us, as we already self-isolate out of necessity. But I know several people with active social lives, like John and his family, who will miss the freedom of socializing.

We send our prayers for all to remain safe and healthy.

Love & Light,

Rose

11. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ((((((Hugs to All*)))))) ~

California Governor Newsom announced this evening that the state is now in “lock down” for an undetermined amount of time in an effort to slow the spread of COVID-19.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavi...241358846.html

The shelter-in-place order requires that all Californians remain in their homes, with the exception of grocery shopping, picking up medications at a pharmacy, and walking or exercising outdoors, while maintaing a safe distance from others in proximity.

“Essential workers” will be allowed to continue working. Fortunately, Nancy falls into that category.

I don’t know whether Instacart shoppers will be allowed to continue working, but I pray that they are, because I don’t want to venture out to the stores. I checked the four stores, where I shop, on Instacart, and they are all out of stock on 95% of the items I have purchased previously. No kleenex, which we do need. Out of fresh produce. Out of Jim’s applesauce, apple juice, ice cream. No cheese. No coconut milk. Fortunately, we are fairly well stocked for now, so I pray that the shelves will be restocked within a week.

This is rather alarming, but it is clearly necessary to stop the COVID-19 spread. With our population of 40 million people, the potential for the virus to run rampant is obviously high. We have to do something, and this is it.

This won’t really impact us, as we already self-isolate out of necessity. But I know several people with active social lives, like John and his family, who will miss the freedom of socializing.

We send our prayers for all to remain safe and healthy.

Love & Light,

Rose

Hi Rose,
    Thanks for the update! I just saw this "lockdown" news on TV and immediately thought of you and Jim and your friends. I would think some deliveries will continue. Perhaps just delivered from a different source. Food supply and other things will return to normal very soon supposedly. My prayers from me and my family to you and everyone in CA. My relative asked "What about Rose and Jim?" when we were watching TV. Yes! We must stop this virus before we end up like Italy with 427 deaths per day from the virus. Each life lost is tragic. We must preserve as much life as possible. I hope Jim and you stay as strong as possible.
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 03-19-2020 at 09:12 PM.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

13. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Default What Awaits?

((((((Hugs to All))))))* ~

funnylegs4 ~

Thank you and your family for thinking of us! That is so kind and compassionate of you all. We send those thoughts to you too, as your state is facing a similar lock down, I believe.

So far, food supply here is still scarce to say the least. Nancy said today that she couldn't believe how empty the shelves were at the grocery store. She told the cashier, "This is a good time for you to really clean your shelves. I imagine that when they're fully stocked all the time, it's hard to really clean them."

I checked Instacart again today, and all of my items are out of stock still. Most of the stores are now limiting quantities, when the shelves are restocked, per customer, to be fair to everyone. We can't have a "survival of the fittest" mentality.

Some stores, including Costco, are opening for a brief period in the morning for Seniors Only shopping. One grocery has slotted 7-7:30 a.m. for Senior shopping. Really? Really? Seven a.m. is dawn here!!!! So, Seniors have to get up, get dressed, drive to, or be driven to a grocery store by 7 a.m. and allowed 1/2 hour to shop and check out, before the younger patrons are allowed in? I can guarantee you that I couldn't do that, if Jim was well, and I could go to the store. This plan is an additional hardship for Seniors, who are the most vulnerable.

You know the Seniors you see in all of the commercials about drugs and retirement homes and reverse mortgages? Yeah? Well, the majority of us aren't them.

While I appreciate the gesture, the execution of the gesture does not help the demographic.

I just shake my head. I could write letters to the editor of major news outlets to point out the absurdity of some of these attempts by corporations to stem the tide of the C-virus, but what good would it do?

Because all of the shelves are empty, I suppose the Seniors could shop in a half hour. And leave with ... a can of olives?

Olives ... that's one thing that most of my Instacart stores have in stock. Black olives.

Anyone interested in hearing my other rants about COVID-19, I've been posting in Jingle's thread, "Toilet Paper?".

http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/...2-Toilet-paper

I'm too tired to copy and paste my latest entry. I included a video of downtown LA. Empty streets. It's bizarre.

NANCY'S VISIT

I covered the gown/mask issue in my post in Jingle's thread.

Nancy had difficulty drawing Jim's blood today. She said, "Maybe the volume is low."

I advised Jim to turn his head and cough, and he did so several times, and finally the blood began flowing better.

I asked Nancy if this could mean a low hemaglobin, WBC, platelets, and she said, "Maybe, but it could have just been a fluke."

This problem occurred, when Jim had his blood transfusion. I told him to cough then, and it worked, but he was there for a blood transfusion.

As lovely as those nurses were, we just cannot go there now. So, please focus your prayers on Jim's blood being okay. And also that he doesn't have a UTI, because he doesn't need to go on an antibiotic again. That is so dangerous in many ways. He can't cope with the diarrhea for one side effect, but it also reduces his resistance to antibiotics and increases his chances of C-diff.

BM CONVERSATION

He produced another good BM this evening, and we discussed the bedside commode again. He also mentioned having a bed pan for BMs. He said he was thinking of the work for me to deal with it in the bed on an underpad.

I explained that it would be more work for me to try to help him to stand or slide off of the bed onto a commode, then get him up, wipe him clean, while he's standing, pull up his briefs, after I've bent down to his feet to put them on before he stood, get him on the bed, up in the bed, set up with all of his blankets and gadgets (SIGH)

than it is for me to use Attends wipes and under pads while he lays on the bed. I just wrap it all up, when it's over and throw it away in a plastic bag. I'd have to empty and clean a commode. I also don't have to worry about Jim not being weight bearing and trying to stand up to go to the commode. I am not strong enough to help him or pick him up.

We also don't have enough room for a bedside commode. I'd have to find somewhere to put it out of our way, when he doesn't need it. But there is no such place.

I spent 50 years of pooping in the bed, diapers, toilet, commode, colostomy, with Jonathan and Michael. I'm the "Poop Queen." I've got this.

Also, YAY! Jim's BM was a normal color.

He has had traces of blood in his urine, another concern, of course. In fact the tiny sample he left in the UA specimen container this morning was mostly blood with a few drops of urine. He'd already expended all of his major urine by then. Nancy took the tiny sample and said the lab could try. She said they can already see that it has blood in it.

SUGAR! SUGAR! SUGAR!

Jim's Food Intake Today: applesauce, applesauce with blueberries and blackberries, diced peaches in its own juice, 4 small Simple Mills chocolate chip cookies, tea, decaf espresso, apple juice, baking soda water. As I complied, I also said, "SUGAR! SUGAR! SUGAR!"

He isn't interested in healthy food now. I'm trying to persuade him to have some veggies, and we have plenty of different soups. But he wants SUGAR! He also loves BodyArmor, which is fortified version of Gatorade with, you guessed it, a ton of sugar.

Tomatoes give him heartburn. So his favorite meals are no longer viable. That just seems like such a twisted fate, when sugar is the worst thing for him. Or for any of us.

So, now we wait for results. It's the weekend, so it will take awhile. And, who knows how overwhelmed the system is right now with lab tests? It could take longer than usual.

MY RESPITE

I managed to take a walk this morning. It was overcast and chilly. It rained again last night. We've had an abundance of rain, which is good. I encountered a neighbor and his dog, and I said, "Okay, I'm not petting you. And it's great to see you. Have a wonderful day!" as I walked past them. When I am able and up to walking, I try to get out just after dawn, so I encounter less people, and usually no one. I got out a little later today.

It's also a little bit more difficult for me to walk these days. I'm limited to 3/4 mile at best. It can be painful and tiring, but I know that I must do this to stay strong to care for Jim.

I also need this time to reduce my stress a little, to breathe fresh air, see the wildlife on our trails, and gaze at the morning rising over the lakes and trees. The ducks and geese and other water fowl are so graceful, peaceful and at home in their environment. I feel serene for a few moments, before I continue home.

Thank you, funnylegs4, and all of our wonderful friends here, for your positive thoughts and energy, your love and prayers. We will support each other through this crisis, as we do with every crisis, either personal or global. We will love each other through this, as we always do. We send our prayers and healing energy to all of you.

Love & Light,

Rose

15. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Hi Rose,
    I'm glad you got a walk outside. Just getting out even for a few minutes each day is so important. Breathing fresh air and seeing nature - things growing. I'm glad Nancy was able to get a blood sample. I've never heard of coughing to get a vein, I'm going to remember that! Our stores up here are making home deliveries for seniors with next day delivery. And because we live in a rural area, the shops aren't selling out. Our neighbours are really kind and are shopping for us. We have everything we need (wine included LOL). Re Jim's craving for sugar, are there healthier forms of sugar? Stevia? Honey? I confess that I use sugar in my baking, but my taste is to have baked products that are not too sweet, so scones for example which are like southern biscuits (only a couple of tablespoons of sugar in the whole recipe). But of course they are only really good with butter and jam LOL. Anyway, I am more than happy to look up easy recipes for you if you can tell me what sugar substitutes (if any) you can use for Jim. We are doing fine over here. Nick has organized an online 'pub night with sports quiz' for tomorrow night with friends and family. We will all meet up virtually at 8pm and it will be fun. We have to think of ways to keep close even though we are apart! Today Jim washed the windows (it was sunny outside) and that lifted our spirits, now he's making a fire in the fireplace. So we feel very blessed that everyone is safe and healthy. The news out of NYC is very alarming and it's just going to get worse. Sending much love and prayers that you will get all the food and supplies you need in this crazy time. xoxo Donna
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

17. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Exclamation Sugar's Revenge

((((((Hugs to All))))))*

Donna ~

Nick’s On Line Pub sounds like great fun! Who is in charge of making up the questions for the quiz? I hope that you all will do this regularly. This is one way that the internet can keep everyone connected.

The reason why coughing works for Jim is because he has an implanted port in his clavicle area, from which Nancy draws his blood (and he receives IVs). I don’t think that coughing would work when blood is drawn peripherally.

Years ago, Jim substituted honey for sugar, but he used too much honey over too long a period of time. He ended up with a problem, but I can’t remember what that problem was. I once tried all kinds of sugar substitutes, but Jim didn’t like any of them.

I don’t really have time or energy to bake these days. Thank you so much for the offer to find recipes for me.

God Bless Your Caring and Generous Neighbors!

Clean windows and a cozy fire. I’ll be right over! Oh wait, even if I could, I couldn’t.

SUGAR’S REVENGE

All of that sugar is taking revenge on Jim now. He had a gigantic BM today, which took an hour of stops and starts. Very soft and the right color, but “hot” as he described it.

He said that he’s so thirsty. Excessive thirst and craving sweets. Not a good sign. We’ll see what his glucose level is after yesterday’s draw.

So, I laid down the law. No more Body Armor (like Gatorade for electrolyte replacement), which has 29 grams of sugar per bottle. He doesn’t need it. He likes the taste, of course the sweetness, and calls it “juice.” Nope. Not juice.

I bought him Santa Cruz organic passion fruit juice. But it turned out to be a “drink” with water and 14 grams of sugar per serving. That is gone, and we won’t get any more of it. Well, we can’t get it now, with the store shelves being empty.

He “needs” a teaspoon of raw sugar in his tea or decaf espresso. I’m going to cut down on that tsp. He’ll have to adjust.

I told him that he can’t just eat fruit and drink sugar as his sole diet. He’s miserable, and that has to be a significant factor. Even if he can only handle a few bites of an actual meal, he needs vegetables and protein. I’m also going to force him to take his vitamins! He doesn’t think that they are important. Well, they are vitally important to a person, who can’t get them via diet.

He fell asleep after the ordeal of pooping. Lots of lifting his hips and turning for cleaning. Still, as I wrote in my last post, it is better than any other option.

His meal when he woke up: fried left over mashed potatoes and a fried egg on top. Decaf espresso, with just a tsp of sugar for the equivalent of 2 cups.

We have 2 eggs left. I just keep hoping the shelves will get restocked soon.

SIGNING FOR STAMPS

In the middle of this adventure, there was a knock on our front door. I knew who it was: Our mail carrier. I’d received an undeliverable notice on Thursday that I had to sign for the roll of Forever stamps I ordered. She said she knocked, but we didn’t answer. Most likely, I was in Jon’s room with Jim, and he has the TV volume on blast.

For redelivery today, I asked her to knock. She did.

I had to change my gloves and put on a mask, before I could open the door. She was standing at the end of the porch properly distancing herself from me. I asked her why after all of the years of not having to sign for stamps I have to sign now.

She said that there is a lot of mail fraud going on because of the pandemic. People claim that they ordered stamps and didn’t get them, then they want their money refunded. Because no one wants to go to the post office, stamps by mail is booming.

She signed for me so I didn’t have to touch her phone or whatever the gadget is she uses. She handed me the mail, which included a small box, then quickly stepped away from me. She knows our situation, so she tries to be helpful.

In the small box, I discovered 50 face masks, which I ordered from Amazon a couple of weeks ago. Made in China, of course, and the only English on the box was “Face Masks.” I wiped it down several times with alcohol. They aren’t as good as our BioMasks, but beggars can’t be choosers during a pandemic. At least our noses and mouths will be covered should any infected person breathe on us.

I feel a little less stressed about the face masks now, as we do have a supply of BioMasks (which are like gold to us), about 45 “procedure masks,” and now these 50 masks. If that sounds like hoarding, then I’m guilty as charged. This virus could last a very long time, and I can’t take the risk of not having masks for Jim and me.

So, for now, that is self-isolating and social distancing us.

Please let us know, Donna, about Nick’s Pub Night. Have Fun!

Thank you everyone for your love, prayers, and support of us. We pray for you and your loved ones and send you healing and strengthening energy in these very frightening times.

May we all be safe and well and make the most of our time in isolation. Just remember, while we are apart, we are not alone.

Love & Light,

Rose

19. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 17374243444546474849505152 ... LastLast