Page 1 of 22 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: July chit-chat

Distinguished Community Member

Default July chit-chat

The time of the month when we most miss Peg, and especially in summer when she would tell us about all the doings on the farm, and all the stuff she was canning.....

I'm doing ok.. Weather here has been not and muggy, so I've stayed inside under air, except for numerous doctor appointments and follow up visits. I hope to return the hearing aides today before I need to make another payment on them.

Otherwise not much else happening here....And you?
    Last edited by Catdancer; 07-01-2019 at 05:51 AM.

2. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) Up to the bathroom at 11 PM, 2 AM, 3 AM, 5 AM and 7 AM. Not much sleep. Had difficulty only once going back to bed but did not fall.

Nice not to have the catheter around my leg and the bag. The wound care nurse says my heel is closed up now so she will just check it a few more days.

Heavy equipment is on our street. They are laying new water lines. The back up beeping is annoying. My drive way is fiber mesh concrete and about 6 inches thick. They will have a hard time cutting it.

After the wound care nurse leaves I will try to nap. Hello everyone. Thanks Cat for starting Chit Chat. Jeanie :)

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

I just weeded plants in the greenhouse for 2 hours. The weeds were crowding out the plants. Two guys are outside in the heat weeding the eggplant and peppers. It is easier for me to work inside the greenhouse. Then I watered the whole greenhouse....my poor plants had their tongues hanging out!

It is tricky to know how much water to put on all the different plants so it really is something no one else can do for us. Now I am sitting in the house with wet clothes and enjoying just relaxing! All our hoses leak a little so we get wet every time we water. We did put irrigation up in all the fields because every chance for rain that we have had has missed us.

Anyway, thanks Cat for starting this thread.
    Linda
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cat, thank you for starting the Chitchat thread! Yes, Peg is very much missed but you're really on the ball--as you have always been here.

You mentioned returning hearing aids. Does that mean that they don't work well for you? They do take about 6 months or more to get used to. I was lucky enough to have a very excellent audiologist who more or less held my hand every step of the way, and one of the points she stressed was that I shouldn't expect too much of hearing aids. She said they aren't like glasses, where you often get perfect vision from them. You won't ever get perfect hearing from aids but you'll get some amplification in some situations.

I've found that my aids don't work well in situations with background noise but some types of aids supposedly are better at tuning it out.

She also said that some people find it hard to get used to having all of that noise coming at them all of a sudden when they first get hearing aids. They may not realize it but they've gradually learned to live in a much quieter world, and then the aids throw this noise at them. They've forgotten how much noise people routinely have in their lives.

--I've been getting over yesterday's experience, a trip to a farmer's market. This was the first time in a couple of years when I've been out by vehicle for any purpose other than medical/dental appointments. The weather forecast was just right for this expedition (a high of 82') or so I thought but once I got in the sun, it was hard to take.

This trip is a treat my son sometimes is able to do though last year I didn't feel up to it, and he went for me. I get vouchers for use at farmer's markets, and there is a long list to choose from (about 100 of them). So he and I and the 15-month-old grandson were in the car, air conditioned.

When we got there after about 20 minutes on the road, it was very crowded, even more than the photos of the place that I'd checked out beforehand. There were long lines at most stalls offering fresh produce, and no shade. Since I have trouble sorting out sounds in a situation like that, I found this pretty daunting. So I contented myself with grabbing berries, cherries, and a few potatoes and scurrying back to the car with my rollator--grandson babbling in his stroller, son pushing the stroller.

So I still have one voucher left to use, and maybe later in the season there can be another such trip--to a less crowded market.

I spent the rest of yesterday doing nothing but rest up--and nibble on the berries, which are very flavorful indeed. I shared some with my 97-year-old neighbor who has to eat only soft food and really likes berries.

The rest of this expedition was cancelled because I was giving out. I was going to drop in at their household and meet the new cat and say hello to the other pets as well as my DIL and the young woman who lives with them. I hadn't been there in a couple of years and was really looking forward to this. I had made it clear that because I wouldn't have the wheelchair I could stay only about 15 minutes. I'd have the rollator but I can't sit in it for more than couple of minutes.

But even that little effort was more than I was up to after the farmer's market. My son has had to put up with my MS since he was 7 years old and doesn't mind last-minute changes in plans. I think my DIL was OK about it too.

I did get a chance to go by the place where my son works, and that was really nice for me to get a better idea of just where he's spending his time. Yes, he's 48 years old but moms don't stop being hens even though their kids are getting gray hair.
    Last edited by agate; 07-01-2019 at 09:27 AM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

You know, it's a wonder my hearing still seems normal. I've been listening to loud music since I was a teen. I played in a rock band and we practiced at full volume. I grew up shooting guns with my dad, and we never wore earplugs. Plus, all my cars had killer sound systems. But I hear just fine.

I was worried that my power company hadn't emailed me a new bill. And I couldn't get to their web site which shows me my bill. Then it came to me that I had never given them my new email address. DUH!

So, I have a call in to them waiting on a callback, and I'll get it all straightened out. I'm a little shlow!!!
    Evolution spans the Universe.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I have hearing aides that I've had for a few years, now These ones that I'm wanting to return cost $6,000 and aren't any better for me than the old ones. So I don't feel like spending the 6,000 for them! I'm supposed to be making payment on that bill, but I don't want to send any money but instead just return the aides. I was given until next Monday to do that, but I worked over the weekend to go to all the venues where I normally spend time..and they just aren't any better in any of those places. So I'm sending them back.

12. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm glad you're not giving up on the aids. I know so many people who have hearing aids sitting in a drawer because they just never use them and see no point in them.

I was surprised to find out that aids typically last only about 5 years. Given their cost, I fail to see why they don't last a lifetime but a person's hearing changes and the aids have very delicate insides that wear out, I guess.

Howie, I'm guessing you never had your hearing tested. Quite often people are astonished when they have a hearing test and it turns out that their hearing is in the range where they need aids. They usually tell you if you "would benefit" from aids or if things are worse, they say you absolutely ought to have them. Most people have some hearing loss as the years go by. You might enjoy taking a hearing test anyway. You can usually find places that do them for free though they're not as accurate as a test done by a qualified audiologist or ENT doctor. Your doctor can recommend you to an ENT doctor who would do the test.

No, I'm not in the hearing aid business, and I suspect it of being fraught with corruption and overcharging. But hearing is far more important than many people realize, and I'm all for getting any help that is available if hearing is impaired.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

My hearing is just fine. I can even hear Sam talking.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

SO, TC and I have just spent a good bit of the morning trying to find someone at US Cellular who will take our new credit card information and update our account....and we cant find anyone to do that! They have a ton of excuses, everything from "What is you PIN?"===dam if I know! Never used it for anything, never accessed my account, just had it set up at a US Cellular place, and they've just charged my credit card.... to "Your card has not been activated!" which is wrong..we've used it for a week now, everthing else, from restaurants to gas stations, stores, etc., have accepted it.

I want to give them money...they don't seem able to take it!!

18. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have hearing aides that I've had for a few years, now These ones that I'm wanting to return cost $6,000 and aren't any better for me than the old ones. So I don't feel like spending the 6,000 for them! I'm supposed to be making payment on that bill, but I don't want to send any money but instead just return the aides. I was given until next Monday to do that, but I worked over the weekend to go to all the venues where I normally spend time..and they just aren't any better in any of those places. So I'm sending them back.
    Some time ago I posted that I heard a news report that the best place to get hearing aids was Costco. And the price was good too. I was surprised but it seems worth checking out.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 22 12345611 ... LastLast