Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: July chit-chat

Distinguished Community Member

I will have to see if there is a Costco anywhere near where I live.... I haven't seen one, but maybe. I'd seen your post, Lazarus, but passed by it, as there aren't any Costco stores in my immediate area, I don't think...

2. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Personal sound-amplification products (PSAPs) have been getting better and better according to everything I've seen but they're not so useful if your hearing loss is more severe.

Bose is coming out with something that might be good:

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditio...7pSCiiMW8zrHs=

Costco:

https://www.costco.com/hearing-aid-center.html
    i don't trip--I do random gravity checks.

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) Hi everyone. The farmer's market sounds nice. I too would not do well in the Sun. Andy has been doing my grocery shopping and everything he buys is the top brand. A few items I wish I had tried the top brand earlier as they are good.

I just figured up what I paid for the aide $7147.50. My insurance says I need to pay $6700. I am going to send them copies of the aide bills and hope this qualifies.

I am using my small uncomfortable scooter because it gets in the bathroom easier. I am headed to the bed to rest. Take care everyone. Jeanie :)

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

My husband has a pair of Costco hearing aides. They are about 6 years old now and he is due for a new pair. The service has been really good. Unlike most things, they have come down in price. I think they were around $1,000 a piece when he got them, but I see they're $1,599 a pair now and are probably a new, improved version. His union insurance paid for them when he got them, but I don't think they are covered anymore since he retired and the insurance has changed to United Health Care. I'll have to look into that!

As I've probably mentioned before, my mother had glaucoma which was shockingly discovered at a "health fair" that was held at the local hospital when she was in her 50s. She had extremely high pressure that could not be controlled with eyedrops alone, so she had to have eye surgery to create a "flap" so that fluid could escape, to reduce the pressure. She also applied two different eyedrops several times a day for the rest of her life. She always had a timer next to her to remind her when she needed to apply drops. Over time her vision deteriorated and to add insult to injury, she acquired macular degeneration too. She was part of a study for a new drug that is injected directly into the eyeball every six weeks for the macular degeneration.

My mother passed away at 94, just little more than a year ago. She was blind the last several years of her life. There is not a day I don't think of her and miss our daily conversations.
    Since she passed, two of my four brothers have been diagnosed with glaucoma. Yesterday, my younger brother called. He has suddenly lost 25% of his vision in one eye, even though he has the pressures checked frequently by a top notch doctor who specializes in glaucoma and he applies the prescribed drops faithfully. He is frightened. He noticed when he could not read the "menu" on his TV one day. He said that when he closes the good eye, everything looks smokey or hazy. There is no pain with glaucoma and it is hereditary. My brother said the doctor could "see" by looking at the optic nerve. ???

I know that many here have had episodes with optic neuritis. Did your vision go slowly or suddenly? Partially, fully, one eye or both? Was there pain? If it came back, was it partial or full vision? Sudden or slowly restored? Steroids?
    I have not (that I'm aware of) had problems with optic neuritis. I do have problems with my eyes tracking together which causes double vision. My eyes are sensitive to light and have more trouble tracking in bright light and when looking a something from a distance. I also remember one time when I was having a solumedrol treatment at home, it seemed very bright and hazy. I recall telling the nurse, but she wasn't concerned. Makes me wonder . . .
    All I need is glaucoma on top of everything else! Why all the questions? I guess I need to know which is which, in case glaucoma is in my future.
    Last edited by nuthatch; 07-01-2019 at 07:53 PM.

8. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Cat, thanks for getting us started this month. You are really on the ball. I hope you get the hearing aids straightened out. At $6000.00 I would take them back too if they were no better than the old ones. I don't know about my hearing and should get it checked, but just don't feel up to doing all this stuff.

Linda, you had done more work before lunch today than I have done in a month. You need to put that under Sunshine's Keep Moving thread.

Jeanie, I was going to the bathroom that often several months ago. I could not get any sleep for the life of me. Finally, I started hurting in my back and feeling bad and I went to the Doctor and found that I had not just a UTI as I had thought, but a kidney infection. I know you have had the catheter in, so I am hoping yours is not the same problem. Glad you had some insurance to help with the aid. As far as I know I do not.

Agate, sorry the weather turned out to be hotter than you thought it would be. I just love the farmer's market, and use to go almost every week-end. That was where I bought my fresh vegetables, fruit, berries everything. Then it got too hot for me to take it anymore and also the walking was more than I could take. There were always a lot of cars and I was lucky if I got a decent parking space. I have not been in at least 5 years now. I miss it so much. The one thing I miss the most I think are the tomatoes. Actually I miss all of it. Sorry you did not get to your son's place to spend time with his wife, however I am glad William was with your son and you did at least get to see him.

Nuthatch, I have had optic neuritis. I was still working and had not been diagnosed with MS. That is where I noticed it the most. Everything would look kind of dim and brownish for me. I kept asking if the light bulbs needed changing and I had other people come into my office and they would say no. I would go into other offices and it would still be brown. I can't remember how long this went on, but it was six to nine months before my diagnosis. Then very early one morning I was hurrying into the hospital to see my youngest brother before he had surgery and I was having a hard time walking (again before a diagnosis). After I got into see him I was standing along side my other two brothers and the pastor who was there. Everything really looked so dim and brown looking that I kept thinking how do these nurses work in this light. I went to breakfast with the two brothers as we waited and when I got the cafeteria in the hospital things looked brighter. I kept telling my PCP that I was so weak that my vision was dim. I didn't know. When I found out what was wrong and saw my Opthamologist he was able tell by my optic nerve. It is atrophied. Last year he asked me when was the last time I had had optic neuritis. I told him I couldn't remember. I could tell he had seen something, but he did not say anything else.

Really sorry to hear about your brother.
    Virginia

10. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) Nuthatch when I had optic neuritis I lost the middle of my vision in both eyes. On the perifery I had vision but if I turned my eyes to that the black hole moved there. I have a lesion on my central optic nerve.

My behind is tired of being on this scooter so I am heading to lay down. Jeanie :)

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Nuthatch, I forgot to add last night that I did have eye pain, but not solid. It was a sporadic sharp pain that would shoot through my eyeball. Why didn't I see my eye Doctor right then? I was dealing with trying to work and worrying about all the tingling, burning, numbness and problems with walking.

I still occasionally have a pain that shoots through my eye. Always scares me. As soon as I was diagnosed I was given solumedrol. Then I went on DMD. This is one reason I am so afraid to stop the Rebif - because of my eyes.
    Virginia

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

nuthatch, I've had optic neuritis too, and there were a lot of vision problems but many of them were very brief, lasting only a few seconds or minutes. Others went on for days or weeks.

Sometimes there was a throbbing pain behind one eyeball, along with impaired vision. That might go on for days or maybe weeks (hard to remember because it was years ago).

Another one that I probably will always have is an enlarged blind spot in one or both eyes. That seems to show up regularly on visual field tests.

What is called "color desaturation," I think--and this one seems to be permanent as well. I sometimes see red or green as black, and have trouble differentiating browns and blues from black.

And I'm very bothered by bright light, which is actually painful. I wear sunglasses on bright days outside. For many years I wore sunglasses indoors too quite often, and then I tried tinted regular glasses, but more recently I haven't been doing that because I'm no longer as bothered by glare as I was. This problem might be due to the cataracts I have, though.

Other problems that didn't last long but were very unsettling:

--A sudden huge black spot somewhere in the visual field in one eye or the other.

--Sudden disappearance of the entire bottom half of the visual field in both eyes. I'd be walking along and suddenly it was as if a line had been drawn right across the bottom half of my eyes, with everything below the line blacked out. I tended to trip and fall when this happened.

--Sudden loss of all color vision. I'd be outside on a bright day and suddenly the world looked like a black and white photograph.

--I'd be walking along and suddenly couldn't see because everything was totally blurred, and my eyes felt as if they were whirling around in my head. There was also a slight dizzy sensation. I could calm this one down by propping myself up against a wall or column or any vertical solid surface for a while and keeping my head absolutely immobile for a few minutes.

--My left eye veers off course at times and I don't always know this is happening unless I look in a mirror and see that it's way off to the side. Other times the vision in that eye is blurred when that happens.

The ophthalmologist would probably do a visual fields test to determine optic neuritis but can also tell by looking at your optic nerve. A neurologist might do a visual evoked potentials test.

Do you have an ophthalmologist? Do you have regular eye pressure checks for glaucoma? I hope you'll have an eye exam to try to find out what's causing your eye problems.

I've heard of people being treated with steroids for optic neuritis but haven't gone that route myself.

16. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Nuthatch, Iím sorry that your brother is having worrisome vision problems.

When I had Optic Neuritis, I had pain with any movement in that eye. Severe pain. That was the predominant symptom. I lost about 3 newspaper size letters of central vision. I canít remember how long the vision loss lasted but it was weeks not months and completely resolved and has not recurred in over 30 years.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

18. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Yes, the pain was severe. For me it felt as if it was behind the eyeball--very odd.

I should add to what I said about my eye problems that a couple of the problems listed may not have been due to optic neuritis. They are more eye movement problems, which I think are another kettle of fish, though they may interact with one another.

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast