Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ongoing Saga of New Shower Stool (Chapter 2)

Distinguished Community Member

Default Ongoing Saga of New Shower Stool (Chapter 2)

For those of you who did not see it and are interested please see post 281 in June Chit/chat for Chapter 1.

Today I decided it was time to use my new shower stool. I, of course, had set on it and it seemed fairly sturdy, shorter than my older one which I did not like, but otherwise usable.

I got in shower, washed hair, put conditioner on it, shaved legs, scrubbed back, then started to wash body prior to rinsing conditioner off my hair. I dropped the soap. I was trying to find it on the floor of the shower when all of a sudden one leg of the stool pulled apart, as I kept trying to find soap the other leg on the same side fell apart. Then I reached up to hold on to a little rod that is built into the shower and knocked the shampoo, conditioner and back scrubber onto the floor. The back scrubber came apart into two pieces.

I was thinking what will I do, I have to get this conditioner out of my hair and no place to sit. I finally reached up and grabbed the little rod that is built in, hung onto that with one hand and tried to wash conditioner out of hair with the other. Finally, found more soap in dish and finished washing body and got out of the shower. Then I had to pick up the conditioner, shampoo and back scrubber and put it together.

That shower stool is still sitting in the shower, broken and I am not sure I will ever trust it again.

For some reason my hair looked better than usual. Probably because the conditioner stayed in longer.
    Virginia

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

So glad you wern’t hurt, Virginia.

Bad, bad stool!

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There's always a bright side, I guess--and it looks as if you've found it: cleaner hair. But what a price to pay!

You could have been badly hurt with all of that going on. All of that slippery stuff spilling around with water involved--!

I'd look into that shower stool's assembly instructions very carefully. Maybe one little part was missing or in at a funny angle, and that may have caused the thing to fall apart. Is there an online product listing where people have posted their comments? Others may have had similar problems--and may have solutions.

It might be so defective that you should get a refund and try a different type. I certainly wouldn't want to try using it again in the shower unless I was absolutely sure it wouldn't do that again.

I'd like to know how you solve this problem. Did you find the shower chair through one of the medical equipment companies? I think they have to come up to certain safety standards, and it doesn't sound as if your shower chair is safe at all.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thumbs up

My solution is, I never take a shower, I take only baths. My balance and endurance to take a shower are gone. Besides, I like being able to relax in a tub of water. Getting in and out require the most concentration.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Howie, my days of getting out of a tub are long gone. I would be able to get in, but not out.

Agate, when I get rested up I am going to look at that stool, but I feel sure I will do something to get rid of it. It will be very hard to send back because of the shape. I ordered it on line, I think it was Bed Bath & Beyond. You know you get wiser and smarter as you do these things (hopefully). The first one I got was from a Medical Supply store, but it would be hard for me to get to them again even if they are still in business. That is the only one I have had, so I just thought no big deal. However, they had already put it together and it was very sturdy.
    Virginia

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've seen many customer complaints about products where the seller tried hard to help by offering to send another item. You might want to try that route.

Or give the company's 800 number a call with your receipt in hand. Sometimes the company doesn't even want the defective product sent back. They tell you to do what you want with it, and they send you a new one that isn't defective. I've had this happen a couple of times.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Agate, I did order it from Bed Bath & Beyond, but it was shipped from HealthSmart of Waukegan, Ill.

I might try starting out with Bed Bath & Beyond to see if I can get a refund. I read where it says if any parts are missing to call the company, but it doesn't say anything about defective equipment. The stool is a DMI.
    Virginia

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Oh Virginia, I'm so glad you weren't hurt!

Here is a bath bench like I had. Kind of pricey but very sturdy. The handles on the sides are helpful when getting up and the legs can be adjusted for your desired height.
    https://www.allegromedical.com/bathr...t-p563700.html

Here's a similar one with a back, for less $. Holds up to 500 lbs.!
    https://www.allegromedical.com/bathr...k-p192008.html

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Thanks Nuthatch, I appreciate the site and information. I am also glad I was not hurt.
    Virginia

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Virginia, what brand of shower stool was it? Was it a standard brand like Drive?

In my shower I use a shower chair, not stool. I use stools for my vanity seat, and my outdoor pool shower and my cooking seats. I want the sturdiness of a chair for in the shower due to the slippery circumstances...

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast