Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robocalls

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Robocalls

The FCC has passed a resolution mandating blocking of robocalls by phone companies by default. One fly in this ointment is that the phone companies might be able to charge for doing this....

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/06/73041...ewer-robocalls

In a discussion about robocalls in another thread, it was suggested that people keep their phone ringers turned off and let all calls go to voicemail--a great idea, but some of us can't depend on our memories and will be apt to forget to turn the ringer on when needed.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Consumer Reports recent article on ending robocalls:

https://www.consumerreports.org/robo...out-robocalls/

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thumbs up

I had a caller today, and I asked him right off the bat, what company he works for. He told me some place that sells diabetic supplies. I told him I don't have diabetes. CLICK! Now where did he get his information?

Maybe I am diabetic, and my doctor didn't tell me! I hope if that were true, she would tell me herself!
    Evolution spans the Universe.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I've had calls offering me car insurance and roof repairs. I don't have a car or a house.

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

agate ~

Thanks for posting these links. I'll have to check out Consumer Reports, when I have more time.

I'm the one, who mentioned that we have had our landline phone ringer off for decades. You're right though, there are times, when I've forgotten to turn the phone off, but I usually remember to turn it on, if I'm expecting a call. I check our phones periodically, as there is an icon on the screen of the phone indicating whether the ringer is on or off.

I am concerned about phone companies distinguishing between the automated calls we want and don't want. Our pharmacy has an automated message to let us know our meds are ready. Jim's oncology unit sends an automated message to remind us of appointments. I want those calls.

It's not at all surprising that the phone companies will charge consumers to block robo calls. Any way to squeeze more money out of the consumer, as usual.

Isn't scamming a crime? If not, let's address that and then get the feds onto tracking down the criminals sending us these calls.

That would be money well spent for this out of control, widespread problem.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I've had two of these calls today. They show up as coming from my own number (???) but they're robocalls. The voice starts out saying, "This is Catherine from Microsoft" and then goes on to tell me my license is expiring and they will need to change my IP address.

Baloney. Microsoft never makes such calls. But if I didn't know that, I might be scared enough to believe that caller. I'm going to try reporting this at DoNotCall.gov though the calling number is my own.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Robocalls using your own number or numbers that seem to come from your area are common now. Lots of news stories on this new method to trick us..
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Re Robocalls,
    I used to get them ALOT. I got good at knowing which ones they were by their numbers. If I got tricked, I would pick up the cell phone and say nothing. After each of these calls there is an option like “Block this number” on the droid screen. Other options are like create contact,or something else like that. I hit block each time it calls. After a couple of weeks, the several calls per day went down to one a week. Could b coincidence...

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

The only calls I can get are on my landline phone. It has the captioning feature, and I just haven't got in the habit of having a cellphone turned on.

I just had a third call from this "Catherine." She's saying that in 48 hours I need to act, or else. In the future I'm not answering any calls that come from my own number. I should have known better than to answer any of them. Obviously I wasn't calling myself.

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Agate, I recently had two of those from someone saying they were from Microsoft. I do not answer them, but they go through to my voice mail.
    Virginia

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast