Thread: Yep, let's blame our moms!

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Default Yep, let's blame our moms!

This isn't applicable to me even though I had early onset, but I was born naturally and was breastfed. What about you?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31158806

Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2019 May 21

Caesarean section and infant formula feeding are associated with an earlier age of onset of multiple sclerosis.

Dalla Costa G1, Romeo M1, Esposito F1, Sangalli F1, Colombo B1, Radaelli M1, Moiola L1, Comi G1, Martinelli V2.

Abstract
    Mode of delivery and lactation are among the earliest factors influencing gut microbiota composition and potentially MS risk, but their contribution to MS susceptibility has been controversial.

We investigated whether these factors could influence age at MS onset (AAO) on 2055 RRMS patients (mean age 28.4 years).

Patients born by means of a caesarean section (10.9%) had an earlier AAO than those born through natural delivery (-5.2 years, p < 0.001). Patients fed with infant formula had an earlier AAO compared to patients breastfed, particularly considering those breastfed for at least 6 months (-4.2 years, p < 0.001).

The association of vaginal delivery and natural breastfeeding with a later AAO of MS was particularly apparent in patients without a family history of MS, while disappeared in patients with familiarity for MS.

The results suggest these modifiable environmental factors which act at the population level may have an influence on the onset of the disease.
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

I have MS and do not fit those criteria.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I half way fit. I was not breastfed.
    Virginia

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I half way fit. I was not breastfed.
    But you weren't early onset, I don't think, right, Virginia?
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wasn't breastfed either. My birth was unremarkable except that I was a month late and a breech baby.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Suze-Q, I have known MS, but not diagnosed since 30s, but it probably dates at least to my 20s.
    Virginia

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Same here. The neuro thought the first evidence of it was when I was 20, with possible recurrences in my early 30s, and onset of nonstop symptoms at about 37, diagnosis at 39. Sounds like RRMS turning into SPMS later on but who knows for sure?
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member jendie's Avatar

I was a normal natural birth, and breastfed. I was dx at age 29, after 14 years of unanswered medical symptoms. At age 20 I had an EMG to see if I was a candidate for carpal tunnel surgery, but it turns out the nerve wasn't under pressure. I was so fed up with doctors that I didn't go to them again until I started having numbness in various parts of my body. During the time while I was waiting to get in to see a neurologist I also developed double vision and other vision problem. After I was dx, based on the neuro exam, past history, and MRI. I started dealing with TN pains and was referred to a different neuro and she told me that my original MRI showed a heavy disease burden.

Hindsight says I had spasticity problems at age 15 which my pediatrician said was caused by stress, followed by potential carpal syndrome at 18. Lucky me, *sarcasm* pediatric MS wasn't recognized until 2 years after I was dx.
    Last edited by jendie; 06-17-2019 at 10:20 PM. Reason: cleanined up extra stuff

Jendie
    I've been a member of this forum during its different incarnations since I was dx in 9/98

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Again, this is correlational research, not causation... and it may be a spurious correlation. Example, it might be that higher rates of Csection are associated with an unknown factor that is more related to MS...
    And having a Csection might be a factor in choosing to bottle feed over breast feed. I have one with Csection and one birth vaginally.
    It was much easier to nurse the vag delivery than the Csection due to post Csection pain and slower recovery from the surgery....

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"