Thread: How to help my daughter from her depression?

Default How to help my daughter from her depression?

HI,
    Last day we family went on a fishing trip in Toronto.
    My daughter fell on a rock and broke her front tooth! It was very unfortunate. I fetched her to emergency dental services in toronto, even though I was a bit confused to consult a completely unfamiliar doctor, his treatment surprised me. She seemed very calm and comfortable that is what I wanted the most because the kid was desperately screaming. The doctor has prescribed a pain killer. He told there is no need of filling because she will lose her primary teeth anyway so it will be alright once the permanent tooth starts to appear.

But she is very depressed about her smile and she is not able to eat anything like chicken, burger, pizzas, etc, which was her favorite food. How can I console her? Hope someone help me.Thank You!
    Last edited by Moderator #7; 06-07-2019 at 07:46 AM. Reason: No links until 11th post. Please respect the terms of service you should read.

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

I'm so sorry she fell and her tooth broke. I would just keep reminding her its a temporary problem if her adult tooth is supposed to grow in soon. How old is she? I think a temporary cosmetic procedure could in theory be done but is usually not recommended because the adult tooth needs room to grow in, in the empty space. Tell her to tell people she lost a baby tooth. Show her images and stories of people in similar situations so she doesn't feel left out. You can even tell her I lost my 2 front baby teeth at almost the same time. Can you use this as an opportunity to try new approved foods for fun? Maybe have her write a letter to the tooth fairy telling the tooth fairy what happened so the tooth fairy will leave her a surprise? When I swallowed a baby tooth I wrote a letter to the tooth fairy explaining how sad I was that I had swallowed it and she wrote back and left a $10 *WINK*
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

4. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Michael Thompson)))))) ~

funnylegs4 provided you with some excellent suggestions.

This situation could be a good opportunity to teach your daughter about self-image, since she's concerned about her smile. Try reinforcing the truth that she is beautiful as she is, because she's beautiful on the inside. "Love yourself for who you are, not how you look."

Talk to her about people with disabilities, which a broken tooth is not, so that she learns that people do have wonderful, productive lives regardless of any physical limitations or differences. Show her examples, such as Paralympians, running, swimming, climbing without limbs.

Use this situation to teach her self worth, courage, and empathy for others.

As funnylegs4 said, you should emphasize that her broken tooth is temporary. This will help to teach her patience.

Regarding food, this might be a good time to introduce her to healthier foods, which are easier to eat with the broken tooth. By the time her permanent tooth comes in, she may have an entirely different attitude about food.

You can also find other ways to make her favorite foods, which don't require too much chewing or biting. Shred the chicken and mix it with a tasty sauce. Make ground hamburgers for her, like sloppy joes. Make mini pizzas using refrigerated rolls, a pasta sauce, and her favorite toppings, as the crust will be soft, but the flavors will be there. Involve her in the cooking of these new food options, so she can take pride in helping and creating what she's eating.

Most importantly you and others should reassure your daughter that you love her and will love her no matter what, even if she had no teeth at all. When a child feels insecure, surround her with security. Tell your daughter, "You can talk to me any time, about any thing, and I will listen."

Wishing you the best of luck ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

6. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks Rose!

I 2nd everything Rose said. Treat changes to physical appearance and physical functioning as something natural that people adapt to NOT something that is negative or deserving of pity. It will teach her how to deal with other hardships in life and understand people more. Depending on her age this video may also help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7hrWPjkuug The character loses her hair by accident(like your daughter's tooth) and gets depressed until she learns confidence comes from inside herself while she waits for the hair to grow back. The full episode is online elsewhere I'm sure. The episode title is "It isn't the Mane thing about you."
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

8. The following user says "thanks"