Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Burning pain in head - can't even cry

Default Burning pain in head - can't even cry

Last night, I started having more burning pain and pressure in my head such that it makes me feel nauseous. Along with that, I have intense tinnitus and a feeling of hearing loss in my left ear. I may go to the ER today. This just sounds worse than what any of you generally report.....and I'm really scared as to what it is. It feels incapacitating such that I can't even cry. When it's intense, all I can do is stare like a zombie. I can still talk but, breathing even seems hard, and something must be wrong. Again, right now, it feels more on the left side and is creating a pressure - even a pressure at my sinus level, but my sinuses feel entirely clear - no congestion.
    Last edited by hootswithowls; 06-04-2019 at 07:31 AM.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

HWO, I believe you said you had a doctor's appointment? When is it? I think a case can be made for your seeing a doctor as soon as possible about that headache. If this seems like the worst headache you've ever had, you should definitely do that even if it means going to an ER.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Go to the ER. This is not what I deal with at all. Letís see what the exam shows.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I'm a little better - just burning on left side of head and some vague loss of hearing in the left ear. I took Advil although not sure if that's why it's better. But in any case, whatever this head thing is, it has remitted a bit, thank God.

I am scared to go to the ER and scared not to go to the ER. Reason I am scared to go - worried they will stick me in the 1.5T MRI machine, and I will not get the 3.0T scan scheduled for Sunday. Maybe this is irrational. I know I am not thinking clearly. Scared not to go to the ER since every day seems some symptom worsens - and this head stuff (pain,burning,pressure) is the worst - it feels like torture when it comes on. I'm just scared as to how bad this is going to get.

I took Advil last night, but I'm not sure it helped. I also had the weird thoughts last night but more along the lines of weird words and nonsense and phrases that pop into my head, then I'm suddenly conscious of them. But when I open my eyes, I'm having this physically horrible feeling in my head.

PCP told me to talk to the neuro. Neuro is out - returns Thurs.

Agate, you are right that this is the worst head pain I've ever had, though.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

You can always refuse the 1.5T in the ER if thats what they choose.

For longer term, are ou able to get off of the HMO and onto a PPO?
    My friend was on an HMO and she got off it onto a PPO when she developed a bad problem and needed better care. It took about 8 weeks for her.

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

If the headaches are really bad you should indeed go to the ER PLEASE. Severe headaches can be a very bad sign. Just refuse any tests you don't want but also be open minded in case the ER notices something others have not that could lead to relief. Just my 2 cents.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Thanks to all of you for your kindness.

Went to the ER last week (Thursday) for head pressure/breathing issue....didn't help me much. Ran blood tests and EKG. Heart is fine, etc. Told them I thought it was neurological, and they basically said not much they could do but get an MRI, and I told them I'd need to hold on that and have it Sunday to ensure I get the 3.0 T.

Had MRI on the 3.0 T yesterday (Sunday). Now waiting for results.

The breathing problem is really horrible, and I think I know what's happening. I have this feeling where I am short of breath along with the head pressure, which is sometimes pain. It is worsening and is especially bad at night when I try to sleep. I've barely slept the last few nights. I think what's happening is that I get into dream state where I am basically asleep, but my breathing is too shallow, and I wake up. Either that or the head pressure wakes me up, but something is waking me up. Before this, I would sleep through the night, every night!! Never had sleeping problems. I could sleep through anything.

Now, as I noted, I had a much milder version of this years ago that came and went. But this leg weakness, and this head pressure/breathing issue were never part of it. I have noticed now that I am having twitches - very small muscle twitches in my legs and arms. Very scared now of things like ALS. I know I probably sound crazy now, but I can't figure out what else this breathing issue could be, and now the twitches. I am able to breathe deeply when I try. I just feel this shortness of breath.

I noticed that earlier, I didn't even mention the breathing part of the head thing - probably because it wasn't really noticeable....but it's getting increasingly worse, so now I'm really scared that this is worse than MS.

Am going to call the neurologist and ask to be seen again. Last time he saw me a couple weeks ago, symptoms were not at all this bad.

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Sorry you are having such a tough time. Try to just describe what you are experiencing and do not interpret what you think is connected to what. Let your neurologist put the puzzle together and then you can compare notes! I have found this approach to be most helpful. Good luck.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hang in there, HWO! You should be getting those MRI results soon.

Most things that go wrong with us do go away with time and don't mean a lot. H

I'm glad you went to the ER and apparently the doctors didn't view your headache as a critical emergency. It could have been something that needed immediate attention. You can be very thankful that it wasn't. Of course they may have made a mistake on that, and that would be very tragic, but why not tell yourself that the chances are that they'd have kept you there in the hospital if they'd thought it was one of the serious, life-threatening headaches.

I hope I'm not sounding dismissive. I'm hoping that you will pay attention to that old saying: "Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you." Worrying isn't helping and can very easily be making everything--including your symptoms--worse. Much worse.

If we worry, we automatically tense up. We neglect other important parts of our lives because we're worried. We lose sleep. We don't pay attention to eating right or resting when we're tired. Worrying takes up time and energy. Then we get run down, and soon whatever symptoms we've been having are hitting us harder--and some new ones come along too.

There's a lot to be said for trying to stay calm. I hope you'll keep posting about how you're doing though. Don't stay so calm that you forget about us! I for one would like to know what the MRI results show and what can be done to help you to feel better.
    Last edited by agate; 06-10-2019 at 03:59 PM. Reason: too wordy
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

18. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hootswithowls View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks to all of you for your kindness.

Went to the ER last week (Thursday) for head pressure/breathing issue....didn't help me much. Ran blood tests and EKG. Heart is fine, etc. Told them I thought it was neurological, and they basically said not much they could do but get an MRI, and I told them I'd need to hold on that and have it Sunday to ensure I get the 3.0 T.

Had MRI on the 3.0 T yesterday (Sunday). Now waiting for results.

The breathing problem is really horrible, and I think I know what's happening. I have this feeling where I am short of breath along with the head pressure, which is sometimes pain. It is worsening and is especially bad at night when I try to sleep. I've barely slept the last few nights. I think what's happening is that I get into dream state where I am basically asleep, but my breathing is too shallow, and I wake up. Either that or the head pressure wakes me up, but something is waking me up. Before this, I would sleep through the night, every night!! Never had sleeping problems. I could sleep through anything.

Now, as I noted, I had a much milder version of this years ago that came and went. But this leg weakness, and this head pressure/breathing issue were never part of it. I have noticed now that I am having twitches - very small muscle twitches in my legs and arms. Very scared now of things like ALS. I know I probably sound crazy now, but I can't figure out what else this breathing issue could be, and now the twitches. I am able to breathe deeply when I try. I just feel this shortness of breath.

I noticed that earlier, I didn't even mention the breathing part of the head thing - probably because it wasn't really noticeable....but it's getting increasingly worse, so now I'm really scared that this is worse than MS.

Am going to call the neurologist and ask to be seen again. Last time he saw me a couple weeks ago, symptoms were not at all this bad.
    I'm not a doctor but I'm thinking the breathing and headaches would be connected to sleep apnea. In sleep apnea you stop breathing a little bit when you fall asleep so your brain gets a little bit less oxygen and forces you awake to get the oxygen it needs. Luckily sleep apnea can be corrected with a CPAP machine. Hope you get answers soon!
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast