Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Keep on MOVING: June 2019

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Default Keep on MOVING: June 2019

MS creates some real challenges to keep on moving. It helps to inspire each other on how to find ways to move.

Did you stretch in your bed, swing your arms, roll side to side today? Or perhaps you did housework? Or exercised in a pool? Tracked your count of steps? Chased your cat around the home? Pushed the wheelchair wheels with your arms at the store? Post them here and we can support and egg each other on.

REMEMBER: this is a keep on moving thread, not keep on exercising! Any moving is important— it doesnt have to be “exercise”! Even Science proves that!

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Sunshine, saw your thread in May for today. You are remarkable, nothing, not even spasms are going to hold you back. Good for you.

Ann, Peter is pretty remarkable too. He irons, listens to jazz and entertains you all at the same time. I now have two more blouses waiting for me.
    Virginia

4. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I ran across this article from NEJM Journal Watch. It is based on a study involving "older" women with an average age of 72, and so it probably doesn't apply to most people here. All of you ladies are many years younger than that, right?

But here it is--and if anyone wants to see the whole article, just speak up, and I'll add the link.

https://www.jwatch.org/fw115462/2019/05/30/4400-steps-daily-tied-lower-mortality-among-older-women?
    query=pfwTOC&jwd=000100983645&jspc=

Looks as if taking at least 4,400 steps a day is best. Hmm. I'm not at that point yet.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Thanks Agate, that sure leaves me out. When I couldn't get my pedometer to work right all the time that is one reason I didn't try it anymore. I found my step count to be depressing.

Steps aside, I couldn't let Peter get ahead of me with the ironing so I washed a load of clothes and starched and ironed two blouses today.
    Virginia

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

We will never approach 4000 steps daily. OR at least I will not. But Virginia, don’t let that get you down, any motion counts.

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Today I swam 800 yards in 22 minutes.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

You are a trooper, Sunshine.

Friday I walked 6 blocks in all to hair appointment and back and did laundry which required many trips on stairs.

Saturday we went to MIL’s and took her to CVS, a Chinese restaurant that was closed, walked back to the car and went to a second restaurant. Then we went to Job Lots, Stop & Shop and Savers. At home I put everything away and then I was done in.

Today we went to a grocery for my steel cut oats w flax seed - Stop & Shop didn’t have them. And we worked in the yard pulling weeds and working to set up my 8 x 3 x 1 foot raised bed. I am done in again. Tomorrow I hope to rest.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

14. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Today was a very low humidity day here. What a difference it made. I did something I have not done in many, many months, maybe close to a year. I washed hair, got dressed and drove to shopping center to Belk's Dept. Store. I walked over quite a bit of the ground floor and stopped at six counters to check out with items. Then I came home and brought them in the house and went to meet family for dinner. We went to a restaurant close to me. I left there and went to the store to get Peg's family a card. I could have written a note, but hands do not work well enough to write that much, so with the card I can write less. I am very beat.

Tomorrow is hair day.

Congratulations to Sunshine and Ann, who both have had quite a good workout this week-end.
    Virginia

16. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Nice Work ANN and Virginia :)

Today I swam 773 yards in 23 minutes. At 3am I had a painful ankle spasm today...Hoping to get UTI results today.

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Today I swam 773 yards in 23 minutes. I have been swimming despite the stiffening in my feet while I swim, and the lower back pain. So far, so good.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast