Thread: Highlights of annual AAN meeting (May 4 - 10) from NMSS

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Highlights of annual AAN meeting (May 4 - 10) from NMSS

The National MS Society has a page giving highlights of the recent annual AAN conference (May 4 -10):

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Ab...topping-Progre
    i don't trip--I do random gravity checks.

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Thank you agate. I am enjoying combing through it.

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I'm glad that the NMSS has provided this. Most people don't really want to comb through over 400 abstracts on MS just to find a few that might be of interest.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Thanks. Interesting and useful.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thumbs up

Agate, first of all, thanks for posting this.

But for me, I have no interest in what MS is defined as TODAY, nor what new treatments are being tried. I know all too well what MS is, and I am waiting on a cure, not a treatment.

I expect to die before any cure is found, but I am alright with that. It allowed me to retire at 45, and not 65. I want for nothing, and can still walk and drive, but not much of either.

Being free of expecting a cure is what keeps me inspired, and drives me to make the most of my life.

Well, that's my rant for this year. Again, thanks for posting those links. It's helpful to those that don't think like I do.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Thanks very much, agate. Will be interesting to review.

At my last appointment with my neuro, she told me that, in her experience, the new meds unequivocally benefit PwMS and delay disability accumulation.

When I asked if there were any stand outs to her, she said no, she believes people have different pathologies leading to disability and different presentations.

So, it is not a one size fits all, but you have to try the different mechanisms to alter the immune response and see if one works. You just can't predict in advance. Some people may need to close their BBB, others may need a reduction in B cells, etc. Demyelination is very individualized and you just have to try until you find one that makes a difference, in her opinion.

But she was very firm on them being beneficial, so much moreso than the earlier generation of DMTs. I was quite surprised by her firmness that these new meds are indeed a significant game changer for PwMS.
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

SuzE-Q, I'm surprised if your neuro really meant to include people with SPMS who are no longer having relapses when she said that everyone with MS would benefit by being on one of the DMDs. Even with the most recent ones like siponimod, they started out saying that everyone with "progressive MS" would benefit, but now they're saying everyone with "primary progressive MS" and SPMS only if they're still having relapses. They're calling that "active SPMS."

Maybe all of us, including the experts, are trying to find our way in this new territory.

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agate, first of all, thanks for posting this.

But for me, I have no interest in what MS is defined as TODAY, nor what new treatments are being tried. I know all too well what MS is, and I am waiting on a cure, not a treatment.

I expect to die before any cure is found, but I am alright with that. It allowed me to retire at 45, and not 65. I want for nothing, and can still walk and drive, but not much of either.

Being free of expecting a cure is what keeps me inspired, and drives me to make the most of my life.

Well, that's my rant for this year. Again, thanks for posting those links. It's helpful to those that don't think like I do.
    Interesting.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    SuzE-Q, I'm surprised if your neuro really meant to include people with SPMS who are no longer having relapses when she said that everyone with MS would benefit by being on one of the DMDs. Even with the most recent ones like siponimod, they started out saying that everyone with "progressive MS" would benefit, but now they're saying everyone with "primary progressive MS" and SPMS only if they're still having relapses. They're calling that "active SPMS."

Maybe all of us, including the experts, are trying to find our way in this new territory.
    She didn't say that everyone with MS would benefit from a DMT, agate.
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

18. The following 3 users say "thanks"