Default Fecal Transplant for MS

Lots happened since suze posted this topic in 2016
    Check these out.
    DH is learning about it for us

https://www.google.com/search?source...46.J4AVehZCb-s

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't mean to dash any hopes but recently I ran across this safety alert from the US FDA:

https://www.fda.gov/safety/medwatch-...-reactions-due
    i don't trip--I do random gravity checks.

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

TY agate. Yes, I saw it in the news feed. And showed it to DH and to my PCP in yesterdays visit,

He has had many patients with FT for C diff that came along with other complex medical diagnoses. WIth success, several have had to do several bouts of FT before the treatment finally put the CDiff to rest. ALl done by a GI doc , not a DIY at home.

DH is so intent on curing me, that he doesnt realize that much of what he is reading are testimonials. You gotta love him for putting so much time in this. I tell him he does something no doc can do, which is to love me, and hold my hand during painful episodes...

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Your DH sounds like a keeper, Sunshine!
    i don't trip--I do random gravity checks.

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Sunshine, when he finds the cure please pass it on to us, unless it is this. Then others may want it, but think I will pass.
    Virginia

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sunshine, when he finds the cure please pass it on to us, unless it is this. Then others may want it, but think I will pass.
    As soon as the safety issue works out, I am on it for DIY.
    I prefer to do it in a GI office where they plant a capsule of FT inside the gut...that seems less scary. I would try it. This SPS is no way to live. I would take a chance on death, but not on worse incapacitation.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

FDA issued HUGE cautions last week. Not the hope that it was thought to be and potentially life threatening. "Fa-Ged-A-Bod-it!"

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    FDA issued HUGE cautions last week. Not the hope that it was thought to be and potentially life threatening. "Fa-Ged-A-Bod-it!"
    For those doing well, avoid FT. However, for those doing poorly, the odds are still very low that this kind of thing would happen , and its worth the risk, IMO. But go into it knowing there is a risk.

After all, so many of us tried the DMTs knowing the risks. Mine nearly killed me. Others had very bad side effects or were killed by PML from the DMTs. But we thought the risks were worth it.

I cannot tell you how bad it is to have SPS...it is truly an awful existence, depending on the severity. My acquaintance has a virulent form and is in and out of inpatient hospital frequently for SPS crises, and then in 7 week rehab inpatient. No way to live for sure...cannot enjoy family or friends because fun, positive emotion, causes stiffening and spasms as the GABA misbehaves...

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Default GABA and Fecal Bacteria Research
    As we know, autoimmune destruction of a key process of manufacturing GABA is implicated in the severe spasticity seen in SPS. Here is a new article on basic research done on the fecal bacteria content of normal people and its relationship with GABA levels found in those people. In this article, authors mention Major Depression as a result of low GABA and disturbed gut microbiota. The same would be said for SPS, making fecal transplant or other treatment of the fecal microbiota a good avenue for research and treatment.

****They are already doing research on MS with some preliminary good findings.*****

GABA-modulating bacteria of the human gut microbiota
    Philip Strandwitz, Ki Hyun Kim, Darya Terekhova, Joanne K. Liu, Anukriti Sharma, Jennifer Levering, Daniel McDonald, David Dietrich, Timothy R. Ramadhar, Asama Lekbua, Nader Mroue, Conor Liston, Eric J. Stewart, Marc J. Dubin, Karsten Zengler, Rob Knight, Jack A. Gilbert, Jon Clardy & Kim Lewis
    Nature Microbiology

7/20/19

Abstract

The gut microbiota affects many important host functions, including the immune response and the nervous system1. However, while substantial progress has been made in growing diverse microorganisms of the microbiota2, 23–65% of species residing in the human gut remain uncultured3,4, which is an obstacle for understanding their biological roles. A likely reason for this unculturability is the absence in artificial media of key growth factors that are provided by neighbouring bacteria in situ5,6.

In the present study, we used co-culture to isolate KLE1738, which required the presence of Bacteroides fragilis to grow. Bioassay-driven purification of B. fragilis supernatant led to the isolation of the growth factor, which, surprisingly, is the major inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA (γ-aminobutyric acid). GABA was the only tested nutrient that supported the growth of KLE1738, and a genome analysis supported a GABA-dependent metabolism mechanism.

Using growth of KLE1738 as an indicator, we isolated a variety of GABA-producing bacteria, and found that Bacteroides ssp. produced large quantities of GABA. Genome-based metabolic modelling of the human gut microbiota revealed multiple genera with the predicted capability to produce or consume GABA.

A transcriptome analysis of human stool samples from healthy individuals showed that GABA-producing pathways are actively expressed by Bacteroides, Parabacteroides and Escherichia species. By coupling 16S ribosmal RNA sequencing with functional magentic resonance imaging in patients with major depressive disorder, a disease associated with an altered GABA-mediated response, we found that the relative abundance levels of faecal Bacteroides are negatively correlated with brain signatures associated with depression.”

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"