Thread: New Member

Default New Member

Hi,
    I just joined the community and I’m happy to have found you. My father was recently diagnosed with Parkinson’s. I have several concerns and I wonder if my concerns are valid. Of course no one wants to receive such a diagnosis, but several things came up in the visit with the neurologist as well as his pre and post visits with his primary care doctor:

The MRI showed no signs of Parkinson’s. As the doctor described it, it only showed “age appropriate” decline.

A physical test was done and tremors and muscle rigidity were observed. The diagnosis was made. Medication was prescribed.

Previous blood tests with primary doctor shows, “Very low” magnesium, calcium, zinc, all B vitamins and several other vitamins and minerals.

My father is on a diuretic, a statin, diabetes meds, and 2 high blood pressure meds.

I apologize if this is long or in the wrong sub-group. Any input would be helpful.

2. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Hello, welcome to the forum!

I don't know anything about Parkinson's but low magnesium, low vitamin B, and low blood sugar in diabetics can all cause neurologic symptoms. I once saw a documentary about alligators that were so low in vitamin Bs that their brains essentially shut down and my BF who is diabetic will tremor if he's low in blood sugar. Low calcium can stop the heart so please have that addressed. I think a 2nd opinion is in order...
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Thank you for your reply and your welcome. I agree with you and hope my father will also. If you ever recall, please share the name of the documentary you described. It sounds like something I’d enjoy watching.

Thanks again

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bohogal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thank you for your reply and your welcome. I agree with you and hope my father will also. If you ever recall, please share the name of the documentary you described. It sounds like something I’d enjoy watching.

Thanks again
    You're welcome! Here's the documentary "Zombie Alligators" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o90Wza9vgw and the study it was created from (I think) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20218498 thiamine is vitamin B1.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Bohogal, and

I can't claim to know much about Parkinson's disease but have known some people with it. In case you haven't found your way to good information on the Internet, here's the Mayo Clinic's material on it:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20376055

You'll notice that it states that there is no test that can be given to diagnose it.

Sometimes the medicines that are given for it can have fairly serious side effects, but sometimes they work well. One person I knew was on carbidopa-levodopa but had to stop it fairly soon after starting it.

That isn't very encouraging news, I know, but unfortunately Parkinson's disease can be a bummer. I'm so sorry your father has this diagnosis but hope you can find the information you need and can help him.

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.