Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: News re jeanie

Distinguished Community Member

Default News re jeanie

Before anyone ask I will start by telling everyone that I have permission from Jeanie to post anything about her.

Jeanie, left a message on my answering machine yesterday, but I did not get it in time to call back. She called back today while I was having dinner with family and doing grocery shopping.

She is definitely having a hard time which we all knew. The bone in her leg was shattered so therefore no clean break. She will always have the rods and pins in and will probably always have pain. The sore on her heel has not healed. It has gotten better, but is very painful. Right now she is having about as much pain from that as she is her leg.

Jeanie, as you know is home. She has help 12 hours a day which she pays $180.00 per day for, however she was having to pay $150.00 co-pay while in the rehab due to type of insurance she has. The help she has is a CPN and sounds pretty good. Jeanie, being a nurse herself says that this person knows how and what to do to help her. She comes at 8A.M. and gets Jeanie on the bedside commode immediately. Then she baths her. Jeanie has a catheter and someone comes to bring her supplies and change that. She also has PT 3 times per week and OT a couple of times per week.

The bad part to me was the fact that she is there alone for 12 hours during the night. From 8PM to 8AM seems like a long time, but she said it was better than paying another $180.00 per night for someone to watch her sleep.

The rehab she was in sounds like a place from he--. You know the part about her being left in her own feces for an hour or more. She said you turn on a light and sometimes it might take them 2 to 3 hours to get you. If you drop your eyeglasses you just do without them, etc.

Andy and Jim have just been great. Andy went to rehab most days, but when he did not he called. Jim went pretty often and helped with other things also. I forgot to ask who has Lacy.

She wanted to know about everyone here, but especially Cat and Rose and Jim. I also told her about Sunshine having problems, but I hoped she was getting better. Agate she was also very interested in knowing if you were alright. I think she was afraid the forum would go down if you were not.

She definitely has a very long way to go and ask that anyone here who prays to please pray for her.

She loves this forum and misses everyone on it. She just wanted news of everyone. She cautions all of us about falling. We just don't know how bad it can be until we are in a similar situation.
    Last edited by Virginia; 05-10-2019 at 07:20 PM.
    Virginia

2. The following 9 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Thank you so much for giving a clearer picture of what is going on with Jeanie, Virginia! I'm so glad she was able to talk with you.

As a nurse maybe she has a really good notion of just how much she can manage and feels it is OK to be alone during the nighttime hours. The cost of care is outrageous. You'd think that someone coming during the time when you're asleep wouldn't be paid at such a high rate as the person who is there during the day but time is worth a lot, I guess. Does Jeanie have one of those emergency buttons you wear on your wrist or around your neck?

I don't think this board would disappear if anything happened to me but it was nice of her to say that.

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

She does have a way to call for help. Hers is through her alarm system. I told her if I get some spare time this next week I am going to do something about getting one. I told her Nuthatch and Ann and others had given me names of different ones to look into. She said please don't fall - to everyone. It can change you life in an instant.

She named different conditions and diseases she has had through the years, but says this is by far the worse thing that has ever happened to her.

Agate, I am in agreement that this board would be in bad shape without you.
    Virginia

6. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Pegakafarmgirl's Avatar

Jeanie,, has endured more then her share of problems,,,,{{{ Jeanie }}},, she is one tuff lady, for hanging in there,

Agate,, between you and Cat,,this place would never be the same,,
    " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

8. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Oh Jeanie, I am so sorry you are up against this. Yes, Falling has been my chief concern for sure. (Being slender, Iworry that its more likely to break my osteoporitic bones because I have no padding)

We are all ageing here. Where are the younger ones with MS?—so I have shared your concern that this board could easily fade away with or without agate. I really dont get why people prefer to post highly personal stuff on FB where their name is right out there

I guess temp living with Andy is not feasible?
    Have you called your Church? I wonder whether they can help periodically with having a sitter at night while you sleep. Isn’t that something Churches do—helping their most vulnerable?
    Jeanie, I am so glad you called Virginia.
    you are in my thoughts every day and every time I come to the board. As is Cat and Rose.

The alrarm you want is one that can detect a fall. Becasue if you are knocked unconscious with a fall, no one would know until they found you the next day. The Lifeline people would call Andy and the EMTs.
    Last edited by Sunshine; 05-11-2019 at 06:23 AM.

10. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Sunshine and others, all of this acclaim being showered on me is so very undeserved. This board was a very active place when I found it, and it was thanks to Catdancer and many others who are still here. They were the reason this board did as well as it did, and it was doing very well indeed. I was always amazed at how well the "regulars" here managed the many difficult situations that came up.

Sunshine, I think that if Jeanie is in contact with a church, that should be a good resource. However, I've found that some churches are less than helpful, even to people who have been members in good standing for quite a while.

For instance, years ago the woman downstairs from me was in a severely needy situation. She hadn't been out of her apartment in 15 years. She couldn't walk and was permanently bent over from osteoporosis. She also had a kidney condition making her miserable. Neighbors picked up her mail for her and brought it to her, and she ordered in food from a charity service as best she could. Back then there was no Internet. She spent her days on her bed listening to the radio. I won't describe the condition of her mattress but I saw to it that it got replaced....

She really needed help but had no one except for a few concerned neighbors, all getting on in years or disabled or both. I was one of those who got her mail and noticed that she hardly ever had any mail but she did get occasional notices from a church that was only a short block away. I asked her if she belonged to it or ever went there. She'd been a member and used to go there regularly. The church used to have a special van that would pick her and others up and take her there and back--but they didn't have it any more.

I called the church and asked them if they could do something for her, maybe send over a visitor now and then who could do a few things for her or hook her up with some assistance.

They were very abrupt and said they didn't provide those resources. That ended that possibility.

There weren't many others. Some of us went in and tried to help clean up now and then.

One sad day we found her dead in her apartment.

She was a nice person. She'd been a secretary and often still used shorthand to take notes. It was clearly a skill she had used so much that it came naturally to her.

I understood that a bit later a son materialized and went through her belongings. He hadn't been in the picture for many years so far as I know but turned up at the last, when it was too late for her.

There are people who falling through the cracks, and she was one of them. Her church, so near and yet so far, did nothing.

Apparently it was a very old and well established church but most of its members no longer lived in the area. They were in the more prosperous parts of town but kept up their contact with the church, probably by turning up at services at least on Easter and contributing funds. Otherwise they probably felt no particular commitment to the people who considered themselves members.

I hope Jeanie will have better luck with contacting a church. Please excuse my downer of a rant.
    Last edited by agate; 05-11-2019 at 08:39 AM.

12. The following 7 users say "thanks"

I have heard of churches like that also Agate. Sometime it seems that unless a person has been able to be very active and make friends in their church right up until their illness they are pretty much put on the back burner. Also, if they are unable to be a big contributor that can also put them on the back burner.

There was a time I could have called on my church, but I could not now. I have never met the Pastor who is there and have no friends who are left there. At the time of my husband's death that was not the case. I was active in the church right up until he got sick and we contributed, so they would have been there to the extent that they could be.

As for Jeanie - maybe I mislead everyone. She is so much better satisfied being at home with 12 hours of help. She is in the bed anyway and says she has a way to call her sons if anything happens at night. I think at least one of them if not both are at her house most every day. She can stand on her good leg (the one not broken) for only 15 seconds and she can only put 50 percent of her weight on the one that was broken. She says that it is very hard for her to pivot to get on the bedside commode, but that the aid she has has been doing this for 20 years and knows what she is doing. She has a catheter, so therefore she is not laying there wet or anything like that. She only gets on the bedside commode about once a day. This lady keeps her clean and gives her a daily bath.

She is worried about just doing nothing but laying for so many months and says she is very weak. I know she must be. When the aid leaves at 8PM she watches TV until she goes to sleep and then she wakes about 5 in the morning and just waits for her aid to come at 8AM.

Andy did her grocery shopping yesterday. Also, one thing I forgot to mention is that someone comes to change the dressing on her heel everyday. So during the day there is quite a bit of coming and going.

The sore on her heel has really complicated things because it hurts to lay with her heel flat on the bed and if she turns her leg to the side she can feel the 16 to 18 inch rod and the pins. Obviously, she is uncomfortable and has gone through a lot of pain, but she seems to feel safe. I guess because during the night when no one is there she has a way to call her sons and they come immediately.

Hope this gives you a better overview of things. I think I was the one that got concerned about her being there at night alone, however she can get a hold of Andy anytime and it does beat being in that rehab she was in. She is having a fit to get to her computer so she can come on here herself.
    Virginia

14. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Virginia)))))) ~

Thank you so much for updating us on Jeanie.

I'm concerned for Jeanie that she might develop bed sores from being in bed all of the time. I ordered an alternating mattress overlay for Jim from Amazon. It's working well. It only cost $90. It's called Vive. Very simple to operate, with a super quiet, small motor.

Also, Amazon has a variety of Posey heel protectors/pillows. Jonathan used the pillows, which seemed to be comfortable for him.

Perhaps her sons could order these for her.

When you speak to Jeanie again, please mention these to her. And let her know that Jim and I send her all of our love and continuing healing prayers.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

16. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

What a great job of relaying the information, Virginia! It sounds as if Jeanie has to put all of her time and energy into getting to the point where she feels better, and that is an uphill battle--but I'm glad to know she gets a bit of TV-watching in, in spite of everything else going on.

It's great that she's trying to get back to the computer soon too!

And Jeanie, if you're reading here, I hope you read Rose's post #8 here.
    Last edited by agate; 05-11-2019 at 01:11 PM.

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Those are some very helpful comments. I also wonder whether hyperbaric chamber could help heal up the heal?

Catholic Churches, from what i see with friends, seem to do more caring and compassion. And they have large congregations and thus the ability to minister.

But, in the long run, people have their own lives and leave it to “someone else” to do the ministering.

A good place to start is to call the church. Most churches will bring Communion to invalid congregants, I think I learned that recently.

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast