Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: News re jeanie

Distinguished Community Member

Rose, I am going to write down the things you mentioned and I will give that information to Jeanie when I speak to her the middle of next week. I know she has a lot on her financially right now, but it does sound as though these things could help her. She paid almost $200.00 for the ambulance to take her to the hospital when the accident happened. Jim did somehow bring her home in her van so that she would not have to pay that again.

It does sound like these items would make her more comfortable. I am going to look them up so I can describe them and I will let her know that her sons might want to take a look also. Thanks for mentioning both of these items.

Sunshine I doubt that hyperbaric chamber would be paid for by any type of insurance and getting her there and back would be an ordeal. I have heard of people that they helped, but also have heard of some that they did not.

Edited to add: Agate, you are right that Jeanie needs to put her energy into healing. She said that patience was not one of her strong points and that it was very hard. Of course it is patience she needs to just lay there while she heals.
    Last edited by Virginia; 05-11-2019 at 01:59 PM.
    Virginia

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Thanks so much, Virginia! (Great ideas, Rose & Sunshine!) Wonder if she can try medi-honey on her heel sore?

Good to hear from Jeanie, I am interested in hearing how the fall happened when she's able to be back online.

So glad she has lots of people stopping by, hoping her new friend might be able to pop over an evening or two to check on her, or give her a call on occasion when she's alone.

Sounds like a full plate of programs to get her upright and strengthen her. I wonder if the OT can have a look around to suggest ideas to increase the safety around her home? Does she have a laptop or tablet so she can get online from her bed? If Grassman could jury rig a set up with duct tape, there's gotta be a way to get Jeanie back online too.

Sending much love and prayers to you, Jeanie, I'm so glad you reached out to Virginia!
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

The fall happened when she was going to get back on her scooter after getting off the toilet. She caught her sleeve on a handle on the scooter that she had already asked Jim to remove because it was getting in her way. He has since removed it.

She was using an iPad that Jim had when she was able to read on here. I don't know if she still has it or not. If so, she might be reading all of this. I will find out next time we talk.
    Virginia

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Oh no, I can see how easily something like that could happen to any of us too. Such a good reminder that if we have that idle thought of a safety problem, we need to act immediately on it and not just put it on our "to do" list. I know I've had those thoughts that "hmmm, this feels like it could be dangerous", but put off doing anything and then ☆WHAM☆, I'll trip on it or bang into it or fall, etc. a few days later.

Important to make some change right away, or avoid whatever it is until it's fixed. Those thoughts are trying to warn us.

Rest, heal, do your physio, and feel better soon, Jeanie! I'm glad you're home!

Thanks for updating us for her, Virginia!
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

8. The following 7 users say "thanks"

One of our very generous and kind persons on this forum offered to get the mattress overlay and the pillow/pad for the foot for Jeanie. I called to make sure it would be alright for them to be sent to her, and so I have more news that she gave me this morning.

They are getting her up, usually twice a day, and letting her sit up for quite awhile. Therefore, she is being moved around enough that she feels it will prevent more pressure sores from getting started. As far as the heel is concerned, she has something that she uses for that. So those two things are not needed now.

She said they are suppose to come to change her catheter today. They were coming yesterday, but she had part of her Mother's Day yesterday. Jim came with Lacy and I could hear Jeanie's laughter when she talked of Lacy. It is Jim who has her. So, I feel sure she will have another Mother's Day today with Andy.

I also forgot to tell y'all when I talked to her the first time and she was telling me about the accident, when she fell she looked down at her leg and could tell it was broke - she said "Oh Crap". Reminds me of Linda's signature where the devil says "Oh Crap she's up".
    Virginia

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I also forgot to tell y'all when I talked to her the first time and she was telling me about the accident, when she fell she looked down at her leg and could tell it was broke - she said "Oh Crap". Reminds me of Linda's signature where the devil says "Oh Crap she's up".
    A very bitter LOL! Whoever is in charge of dishing out bad luck had better stay away from people like Jeanie in the future.

SuzE-Q, you are so right about assessing our own safety situations. I try to avoid any clothes with loose sleeves just because I've had some bad problems with them catching on things--like skillet handles when something is on the stove cooking, and then there's a big problem and maybe a fall.

Time to reassess the wardrobe and make sure there aren't any sleeves that can catch. Clothes seem to no big deal until you realize how dangerous some of them really can be.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

I hope that her physical therapy includes exercises for her upper body, which she can do in bed. Those helped me tremendously when I was laid up all those months. Did she say for now long she had to be in bed? It has been 30 years since I broke my leg...both bones, dislocated the ankle, tooo...And knowing that each person's break is different...I was in the hospital for about a week, then sent home with a "good luck!" And nothing else. I had been walking with a cane at the time. I got around in my wheelchair......And never really got out of it after that.

The twelve hours overnight without anyone is what happens for me when TC goes to camp. Only I don't have anyone nearby to leap to my rescue. Like Jeannie I read until I fall asleep, and then in the morning i will watch the morning new.

14. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Thank you so much for the update Virginia.

That is indeed very kind of our member to help Jeanie in that way. It brings to mind when Cherie sent Howie a BP cuff

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Cat she has been basically in bed for 8 weeks already and she has at least 2 more months if she heals at the rate they are hoping.
    Virginia

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

I am grateful that Jeanie is able to be home on her terms and is happier than she was in rehab. Our Church is huge, very active, and has lots of volunteers for things like lawn care and grocery shopping but hands on care and night time companionship do not fall into those categories. They also have a friendly visitor program that allows for people to come in for an hour or two every week so that a caregiver can get out to run errands or go to an appointment but none of them can do bath room assist and other personal care services.

Happy belated Mother's day to all here who serve or have served in that capacity over the years. Kids showed up yesterday afternoon with a squash,pumpkin, carrot bisque and lots of salad fixing and I had just baked both gluten free and regular bread to go with the soup and salad. We then had ice cream topped by fresh blueberries for dessert. As I was cleaning up the kitchen and loading the dishwasher, I realized that the sink was not draining. I ran the disposal and got it to go down and as soon as I shut off the disposal, there would be a bubbling and the sink explosively refilled. We have one bathroom that is not tied to the main clean out line from the house so did not consider it an emergency to call someone on a Sunday. They got here about 2 hours ago, dug up part of the back yard and roto-rooted the pipes and the dishwasher and laundry are going now. This time they capped the line so if it happens in the future they can readily access it. Each time in the past (a half dozen or so over 25 years) they always took the rooter down the narrow and steep cellar stairs. So much easier this way and still only $200 to do the job.

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast