Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Speech

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

I have a cousin who almost always speaks with his eyes closed! He does not have MS or any other disability that I am aware of. He's highly educated, intelligent and has a very good job, but it feels strange talking to someone with their eyes closed so much.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nuthatch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a cousin who almost always speaks with his eyes closed! He does not have MS or any other disability that I am aware of. He's highly educated, intelligent and has a very good job, but it feels strange talking to someone with their eyes closed so much.
    When I am at farmers market and trying to explain something complicated to a customer I often make a small joke of it by saying that my eyes are so I can think more clearly. I often say something like “ if you get bored and leave please tell me so I am not standing in the middle of the street talking to myself! Most if not all of my customers will see my walker and realize something is difficult for me.

My eyes flash open during conversation so it is not totally blind.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

I find that when I am tired (on a travel day or strenuous prep day for a get together) I have to talk around a subject to find my words. It is not easy. Especially as I age into true "older adulthood". Speech therapist was mightily helpful in my 40s and I have carried her teachings forward a couple + decades and am so grateful but now I am saying one word when I mean another at times. This is embarrassing and concerning.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, talking around a subject--that's a problem I have as well. It's so embarrassing to be like this that whenever I'm about to be among people I lecture myself beforehand and tell myself to keep my mouth shut as much as possible.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I find that when I am tired (on a travel day or strenuous prep day for a get together) I have to talk around a subject to find my words. It is not easy. Especially as I age into true "older adulthood". Speech therapist was mightily helpful in my 40s and I have carried her teachings forward a couple + decades and am so grateful but now I am saying one word when I mean another at times. This is embarrassing and concerning.
    Own it. Before giving the talk tell your audience that your MS causes you to retrieve words that do not fit into the context and to bear with you while you correct it. That will remove the anxiety for you perhaps? And not leave the audience puzzled as to what’s going on.

I have told friends and docs<“ I now think in pictures, so it takes a moment for me to translate the pictures into words, just bear with me”

10. The following user says "thanks"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345