Thread: Speech

Threaded View

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Speech

This problem seems trivial compared to what others are putting up with here but I was wondering what kind of speech problems people have--or maybe you don't have any? And how do you deal with them?

I hardly ever say anything in a meeting of any kind. I never have been one to say much in meetings but before MS I was far more inclined to speak up now and then.

I've been zipping my lip for many years just because it's so difficult to say anything. Others find it easy. I should find it easy since I used to teach. Getting up in front of a class filled with 40 or more people who may not have wanted very much to be there was routine for me.

This building I live in has monthly resident meetings and I almost always turn up at them. I say nothing unless I exchange a few words with a neighbor before or after the meeting. But the other day the issue was so important that I felt I had to speak up because nobody else was.

For the first time in nearly 10 years I tried to say something at that meeting. I was surprised at how difficult it was to get the words out. I was speaking so slowly that I could almost feel people getting impatient.

Not only would my mouth not form the words--I had trouble thinking of the words even though they were ordinary words.

It will be a long time before I speak up in any meeting again. I'm often OK chatting with people informally, particularly if it's one-to-one, but even then I've had problems.

There seem to be a couple of things going on--the mouth muscles needed to speak are sluggish, and the mental "equipment" needed to find the words fast enough is sluggish...
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"