Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Speech

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a really hard time finding words. I don't know how much is MS and how much is lack of use.

How can you talk to someone and look at them with your eyes closed. Doesn't that appear kind of strange?
    Yes Virginia it does look strange. I always say something such as I am shutting my eyes so that I can answer more coherently. I do it when trying to explain some complicated thing to a customer, my neurologist any other doctor....people who realize. I keep them closed while I am saying the complex part, not during an entire conversation. It is always valuable and always with people who realize what I am doing. I am not standing there with my eyes scrunched tightly closed.!

It started when I was trying to explain something to a customer. Half way through the explanation I was so tied up in word knots that I made no sense. I stopped speaking and I remember saying to the customer that I knew more than it sounded like I did. I can still hear his voice telling me that he knew I did. I took a deep breath and told him I was going to shut my eyes and start over. That interaction was a charm for me.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 05-13-2019 at 02:31 AM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That doesn't sound so odd to me, Linda. I've known quite a few people who didn't have MS who have gone through something similar, and it didn't strike me as odd. They'd be talking but get tangled up in what they were trying to say, then say they needed to collect themselves and start over. I think most people overlook these glitches.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

By the way, there is an MS Can Do segment coming on tomorrow night on cognition. I thought of this thread.
    Virginia

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member jendie's Avatar

I was referred to speech therapy last year after my major fall that put me in the hospital for 3 days with a concussion with retro amnesia. That wasn't really about speech but mostly memory. MS has messed up my speech more than the concussion. There are times when I can't find the words I'm looking for or spit out the wrong words.

Jendie
    I've been a member of this forum during its different incarnations since I was dx in 9/98

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Hi Jendie, it seems if you are having speech problems with your MS this is the place to come.

I also tried reading out loud and my voice croaks and begins to hurt pretty quickly.

Haven't seen you in awhile, hope all is going well.
    Virginia

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Nice to see you here again, jendie!

I recall going for speech therapy many years ago--late 1980s maybe. I can't recall that it was especially helpful. The emphasis was on getting better control of breathing if I remember right.

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

My speech therapy has been very helpful. I w as seeing the therapist 3 times a week while at the rehab facility. Now that I'm home it will only be once a week. He'll continue with the writing therapy, too: I am keeping a journal. At first, after my breakdown, my hand writing was barely legible, I repeated words and sometimes whole phrases, skipped words, misspelled a lot. All of that improved but its still a struggle. Tomorrow will be his first visit to the house so I'll see what else he might offer.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    Nice to see you here again, jendie!

I recall going for speech therapy many years ago--late 1980s maybe. I can't recall that it was especially helpful. The emphasis was on getting better control of breathing if I remember right.
    One of my physical therapists said "You don't Breathe. You Die." Breathing is extremely important to anything physical, especially speech. A few people with speech issues I know almost gasp when they talk like they can never get enough air.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

My speech therapist came today and put me through a number of tests. I measured "normal" now on all but one of them, and for that one I was just below the normal range, so he'll only be coming two more times, once at the end of May and once after that. He suggested that I continue keeping a log to improve my writing , and reading aloud two paragraphs a day to improve my speech. He'll test me again next time and see if there is any change, good or bad, then go from there.

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
    My speech therapist came today and put me through a number of tests. I measured "normal" now on all but one of them, and for that one I was just below the normal range, so he'll only be coming two more times, once at the end of May and once after that. He suggested that I continue keeping a log to improve my writing , and reading aloud two paragraphs a day to improve my speech. He'll test me again next time and see if there is any change, good or bad, then go from there.
    This is such good news! It sounds as if you're recovering at least so far as your speech is concerned.🥇

20. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast