Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Speech

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

“have lots of gaps between words as I try to speak. And if I'm interrupted, I'll lose track entirely......”. Cat Dancer

This is exactly what I was doing when applying for disability to the state I was working in. It took me a very long time to say anything. I could almost feel people wanting to help by finishing my sentences. It was so well timed because 6 months later my ms had different symptoms which did not show as much.

THe journaling thing is good idea. I have been thinking I should be writing essays to keep the words flowing, sentence formation practiced and ideas organized. I will journal write essays. I hope I can push myself. I will start a diet and start a journal...tomorrow!
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I have a really hard time finding words. I don't know how much is MS and how much is lack of use.

How can you talk to someone and look at them with your eyes closed. Doesn't that appear kind of strange?
    Virginia

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the eye closing is for only long enough to collect yourself and find the words--is that the way it is, Linda?

I'm sure I must look odd to people as I can't seem to look at them while speaking unless I make a superhuman effort. I know that's what a person is supposed to do ("make eye contact," etc.) but it's often beyond me.

I no longer care much how anything looks. People just have to put up with me as I am. I try to stay out of their way as much as possible.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

This is such an interesting discussion, I'm really glad it was brought up!

Virginia, for years now, I just look down when I begin to speak until I feel the words come out smoothly and without difficulty. I initially thought it must look strange, but it actually doesn't.

Cat, I'd forgotten that the vocal cords and diaphragm involved in speaking involved muscles, I'm going to sing more to practice.

Laz, I'm going to start journaling too.

Great ideas!
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Suze-Q, I live alone so my vocal chords seldom get much use. Like Agate, I tried singing by my self once. It was so bad I never did it again. I use to do alright in church, but no more. Again, nothing even back then that would get me a soloist part, but now it is pathetic sounding.
    Virginia

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Such an interesting discussion . I didnít realize most of us have some type of speaking problems.

This past week I have started to talk aloud when alone in the house. Like you, I noticed that I just donít talk as much. Much of this is becasue its so hard to talk. But then, I think with disuse, it becomes even harder.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

All of you are very coherent and articulate in your posts. May I suggest that you read your posts aloud to help exercise your vocal chords? You'll be speaking what you wrote, which is the same as giving a speech or having a conversation.

A few pages back on the MS forum is a post about actress Selma Blair, who has MS and challenges with speaking. I don't have the link, but I did remember that thread. Maybe there is something on that thread that would be helpful?

I think you're all on the right track. Use it or lose it, as the saying goes. So, keep talking or singing and exercising.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

I thanks I tawlks purdy gud, but ma spallen ain't soo gud.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Get Sam to do your spelling and typing - then it would be perfect! Why is she so much smarter than you Howie?
    Virginia

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cats are known to be superior to humans. Just ask them.

Rose and others, practicing speaking is excellent advice. I talk to myself quite a bit (arguing myself out of jobs I think I should do, usually)--while hoping nobody overhears me! I've found that after a while voice fatigue or some such thing sets in, and my vocal cords just don't want to talk any more. So a little bit of voice practicing may be a good thing, but a lot of it--not so good.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast