Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Speech

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

I agree with funnylegs4 that consultation with a Speech Therapist might be beneficial to you, agate, Virginia, and Lazarus, and to anyone, with similar concerns. Perhaps your PCP could refer to you for Speech Therapy, and hopefully it would be covered by Medicare.

Meanwhile, I just searched YouTube for speech therapy exercises, and here's the beginning of what I found:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...for+dysarthria

I haven't watched any of the videos, so I can't critique them. But, there may be some useful information there for exercises, which might be helpful. We exercise our arms and legs. We probably need to exercise our vocal chords and the part of our brain, which sends messages to speak.

Sending healing energy to all ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Yes Rose, like I said above I know someone that stutters and he said the best thing for the stutter is for him to keep talking because it reinforces the neuroplasticity etc. Or like how I need to speak in other languages to remember them.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

funnylegs, I admire your ability to speak in other languages. What languages?

I used to translate and studied 3 languages besides English. I could translate all of them but in recent years I've lost any skill I had in understanding any of the spoken languages I once learned. My Russian neighbors are out of luck if they had hopes for me to be helpful to them because I understand only a small part of what they're saying. I have been useful sometimes in translating written material though.

It's mostly lack of practice but it's also my slow processing speed. Add in the hearing problems.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Seems like many of us have talking and speech problems
    Now I think in pictures. My speech is halting because it takes me time to translate the pictures into words. But typing gives one time to do that.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    funnylegs, I admire your ability to speak in other languages. What languages?

I used to translate and studied 3 languages besides English. I could translate all of them but in recent years I've lost any skill I had in understanding any of the spoken languages I once learned. My Russian neighbors are out of luck if they had hopes for me to be helpful to them because I understand only a small part of what they're saying. I have been useful sometimes in translating written material though.

It's mostly lack of practice but it's also my slow processing speed. Add in the hearing problems.
    Thanks agate! I’m not sure if you saw my discussion in the huge politics thread but I can speak English, speak some Russian, and I can only understand Spanish, French and Italian to some degree. I tend to understand romance languages but reflexively answer questions etc in those languages with my English LOL. My friend from India also tried unsuccessfully to teach me words in Hindi and Telugu. Anything other than Russian and English sounds horrible with my voice. I can only read one language at this point. My reading always seems to automatically default to English. About the only thing I understand better in Russian than in English is numbers/math ironically. Unless you learn to speak a language as a child you have to keep reinforcing the brain circuits for the new languages or they go bye bye. Except maybe if you are an apostle of Jesus LOL. Its so cool that you spoke Russian!!! You should practice again!
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Little kids are like sponges when it comes to learning foreign languages. It is amazing that you can just sit most of them down in the middle of a foreign country and they go outside and play with the children who are natives of that country and almost before you can turn around they are speaking the language. When I was in Europe I always got a kick out of listening to them.
    Virginia

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

I always thought that my recent difficulty with word finding was a normal memory issue, that because I don't use speech as often, the words are just more difficult to retrieve?

Do you think that might be a part of it?

I have trouble forming certain words too, it's just more difficult to articulate and enunciate them.

I saw a tv program and have been reading about frontotemporal dementia. It also causes trouble with language. It crossed my mind that it might be something to keep in mind. Without further symptoms, though, that's probably not the reason. We know MS can cause slurring of words, I wonder if this might be related to that phenomena and what causes it?
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    Little kids are like sponges when it comes to learning foreign languages. It is amazing that you can just sit most of them down in the middle of a foreign country and they go outside and play with the children who are natives of that country and almost before you can turn around they are speaking the language. When I was in Europe I always got a kick out of listening to them.
    I always heard that too. In yet, as an adult I sat in on a foreign language class with only elementary aged kids in it. The learning pace was so slow of the kids, I was bored having to wait for them to catch up

Perhaps theyre better at learning through immersion, rather than a class setting...

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuzE-Q View Post
    I always thought that my recent difficulty with word finding was a normal memory issue, that because I don't use speech as often, the words are just more difficult to retrieve?

Do you think that might be a part of it?

I have trouble forming certain words too, it's just more difficult to articulate and enunciate them.

I saw a tv program and have been reading about frontotemporal dementia. It also causes trouble with language. It crossed my mind that it might be something to keep in mind. Without further symptoms, though, that's probably not the reason. We know MS can cause slurring of words, I wonder if this might be related to that phenomena and what causes it?
    I didn’t remember the slurring until you mentioned it. But yes, that is part of my arsenal of speech difficulties.

The other thought from your post is that if you think about it, you probably can speak fluently is quieter situations...?. Yesterday at farmers’ market I was in big MS difficulty. When I was trying to explain about a complicated plant someone was buying I shut my eyes and just continued. Sure enough, as I wrote earlier, my speech and thinking cleared and I was able to give detailed information. And I sold a spectacular specimen of a staghorn plant.

By the end of the market I had loaded everything back into my truck for an hour leading to the end of the market so when the bell rang I could leave. IqWas in tough shape and a customer stopped to say hello as I got into my car. She sweetly realized and asked if she could put mybleft leg into the car! She lifted it and tucked it in. I thought she must have nursing experience because she handled things smoothly. She also noticed that I had not put up my car windows or lowered the back of my wagon. All the stuff would have slid out as I drove away! Actually I did realize but people helped. As soon as I sat down to drive, closed the windows and turned on the air conditioning I was clear headed and could think. It must be like closing my eyes when I talk. We need to eliminate some sound/visual clutter to function smoothly.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Before I had this recent meltdown I was having some difficulties, but they're really exacerbated now: brain is way out in front of thoughts which are way ahead of speech which is ahead of putting words on paper.

I don't know any foreign languages, but my working life was done speaking. And after this episode all of last month it takes me forever to get my mouth and tongue around my thoughts, and then trying to get them on paper.....legibly. I've taken up journaling just to practice that. It's a real challenge. I have lots of gaps between words as I try to speak. And if I'm interrupted, I'll lose track entirely. As for singing, it may be at least in part a lack of exercise. The vocal chores are a muscle. You're not singing regularly so they're not being used.

18. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

it takes me forever to get my mouth and tongue around my thoughts
    That says it. I've had episodes of this for years but nowadays they're far more frequent and more noticeable. Slurring too.

We need to eliminate some sound/visual clutter to function smoothly.

Linda~~~~
    Linda, that is so true for me. I find that whenever I open a closet door or drawer or look at a pile of papers I'm immediately asking myself what items can be discarded, and then I try to discard them.

If I need to speak to someone, I try to keep my words to a minimum but often wind up saying far more just because I can't say what I want to say and talk "around" something without getting to the point as I try to find the words.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast