Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Keep on Moving: May 2019

Distinguished Community Member

Well, today I finally got my medical alert all registered and checked out. I had hooked it up, but had not gone any further. Today I phoned in, tested it. Then I tested it from outside in my backyard where the trash and recycling are, then I came in and talked to them and told them it was a test, then I went to my front yard down my front steps and pushed the button. Again the loud alert came on so I had to go back and answer it and wait for it to cut off. Then I went upstairs and pushed my button again and again the loud alert came on and I had to get down the stairs before they called the EMS. I also put a door key in the lock box (same as what realtors use) and put it on my door knob. So that is all set. Then I went back out and took the recycling out, then I took the trash out. So I got some steps in.

After that I went to Ann's Peter's happy place. I ironed 3 starched blouses, so was standing an additional hour and 15 to 20 minutes. My left foot, especially toes were numb. Ironing is not my happy place.

That was my activity for today.
    Virginia

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

That's great that you got that all set up, Virginia! In my mind, I could just imagine you encountering an emergency during one of those tests and them ignoring you because you'd been busy testing so many different areas already.

Very glad that didn't happen. Wow, and setting up the lockbox too!

And a round of ironing to finish it all up, you've been busy!
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Great , great great job Va!!

Now, one more thing. Put a piece of paper in the lock box telling the EMT that your Medical information is in a red bag in your freezer top shelf. Then, put a red bag in the freezer top shelf with all your pertinent info: dx, meds, special instructions, next of kin to notify, doctors’ names and phone numbers etc. Your birthdate, your insurance information. Makes it so much easier on the ER and the EMTs to figure it all out.

ALso, be sure your life alert ppl know your lock box code. They will pass the info on to the EMTs and anyone else on your contact list. And tell them where your Medical info is stored in your freezer (or on the front of your fridge if you prefer—my freezer door is not magnetic, so I put it inside on the shelf)
    Last edited by Sunshine; 05-26-2019 at 01:46 AM.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, today I finally got my medical alert all registered and checked out. I had hooked it up, but had not gone any further. Today I phoned in, tested it. Then I tested it from outside in my backyard where the trash and recycling are, then I came in and talked to them and told them it was a test, then I went to my front yard down my front steps and pushed the button. Again the loud alert came on so I had to go back and answer it and wait for it to cut off. Then I went upstairs and pushed my button again and again the loud alert came on and I had to get down the stairs before they called the EMS. I also put a door key in the lock box (same as what realtors use) and put it on my door knob. So that is all set. Then I went back out and took the recycling out, then I took the trash out. So I got some steps in.

After that I went to Ann's Peter's happy place. I ironed 3 starched blouses, so was standing an additional hour and 15 to 20 minutes. My left foot, especially toes were numb. Ironing is not my happy place.

That was my activity for today.
    Those personal emergency response systems are scary at first but once you get familiar with the way it works, it should just be there in the background for you.

Congratulations on the ironing! I often take a break during my ironing sessions--sit in my chair for a while, then go back to it. I like the iron's automatic shut-off feature. It just sits there without creating any problems while I rest.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Today I swam 666 yards in 22 minutes.

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Good for you Sunshine on the swimming. I am ahead of you as far as the alert information is concerned. They have my code number to my lockbox which they recorded when I bought it and then verified it by having me give it to them when I first tested the system. They sent a card with all pertinent information for me to fill out and told me to put it on my refrigerator, so I filled it out and put it on refrigerator with a magnet. When I tested the system they were very responsive in answering. I have been instructed to try and remember to test it once every month.
    Virginia

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Thatís terrific VA! Thatnks for the reminder to test it once a month. I gotta do that. Was telling DH that the other day...

Swam 800 yards today in 24 minutes.

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I hope everyone will have a good Memorial Day!

Yesterday I tackled a job that I've been putting off for years. I actually did it without any major problems. My back didn't go out, and I didn't give out.

It involved hauling out a rather large box full of bags of potting soil from a closet, removing an opened bag of it, and removing a plant from its hanging basket on the living room ceiling. It's on a pulley gadget but the trick was to get the plant out of the container without damaging the plant. It's a trailing plant (pothos) with lots of tender branches going every which way.

Of course I managed to lop off a couple of leaves in the process but I think it will survive that trauma. It was still in the "pot" it arrived in. Plant shipments come in pots that are meant to be disposed of pretty soon after arrival. Shame on me for keeping it in its original disposable pot all this time, but I just never felt up to the job.

So I removed it from this junky container, removed its original dirt, checked its roots, and put it into a terracotta pot that seemed like a good size. I had to find newspaper to fold up in the bottom to cover the drainage hole. I usually use bits of screen but I have no more of those (they're all being used). Then pieces of broken flowerpots for more drainage, then the dirt. I got the plant into the pot, watered it, and set it back in the hanging container, and almost 24 hours later, I'm happy to report that it's still alive.

The hardest part of this kind of job is putting everything back and cleaning up. I had to sweep the kitchen floor and mop up a few places where I'd spilled dirt, put the bag of dirt back and put the other things back as well--the knife, the newspapers, etc. Then I had to take the old dirt and the old container out with the trash to the dumpster (quite a few steps involved there!).

I'm nattering on about this in the hope of encouraging those who think they have nothing to say. There's always something to say even if it's just reporting on a challenging job you just did.

Believe it or not, this was a very challenging job for me. Reaching up for that rather heavy hanging plant container is a strain on my back and arms. Reaching up is always difficult. Those muscles just aren't what they used to be.

The plant is a pothos. I bought it from Amazon and was overjoyed at the healthy plant I received. It had many leaves and was nicely shaped and thriving. Over years it's dwindled down to a mere shadow of its former self, but it's still surviving. I knew it needed repotting. I just hadn't done it.

Now I have. I'm celebrating.
    Last edited by agate; 05-27-2019 at 08:35 AM.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Champagne toast for Agate! What a deeply satisfying feeling.
    I read the whole thing and its amazing what you did. Even a well person would feel challenged and then complete: just now as much as we do!

Maybe all that walking paid off? Plus grit.

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Sunshine 800 yard is great. You are back up there again.

Agate, I am truly impressed. That was quite a large job. The reaching up would be where I would loose my balance. It is a really good thing that you could do this with a heavy hanging plant. I am glad the plant is still appearing healthy and is likely to survive. I have been thinking for a little while and just this morning especially that I need at least two more and possibly three more plants. I had not thought of ordering any. I have always bought mine from plant shops. Mine are not hanging plants, but I might go on Amazon and see what they have that I might like.

By the way, I often ramble away on here trying to get others to post a little more also. Just tell us what you are doing, etc.
    Virginia

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast