Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Keep on Moving: May 2019

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Thanks, Agate!

Lol, Howie, are you blaming your pedometer for it showing a low step count?
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuzE-Q View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks, Agate!

Lol, Howie, are you blaming your pedometer for it showing a low step count?
    Sounds that way to me, SuzE-Q.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

Darn cheap pedometer!!!
    Evolution spans the Universe.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

You could always complain--even online, where others might chime in with similar comments. Something like this maybe:

I recently bought one of your pedometers but it's a piece of junk. It doesn't record nearly enough steps. Please refund my money ASAP.

They are touchy gadgets. The stepcounter that is on the wristwatch I have to wear for the study I'm in isn't at all accurate. It really doesn't record nearly enough steps. When I asked about it, I was told that it seems to work well only if you're swinging your arms. With a rollator or just getting around this place, I'm not swinging any arms. I don't know if that's true of regular pedometers like the one i have in my pocket at all times. I don't think so.

But it records steps only after you've taken 10 of them, and I've actually seen this going on: I take the pedometer out, set it on the table, and it keeps adding steps--sometimes up to 20 or so--even though I'm not wearing it any more. It does this right after I've put it on the table, and so it must be catching up with itself.

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Cool

Maybe attached to your ankle would be a more accurate way to count steps. Or placed in a sock if you wear any. At home, I don't wear shoes or socks. I'm a barefoot country boy!

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

what a rush! After totally running myself in the ground yesterday to prepare for today’s surfing, taking 3 hours to do a 20 minute job, I was pleased to wake up this morning restored! The med let me walk better and spasm free.

So off we went, with husband at the wheel. The R2D2 arrived right on time and my crew was there to help carry my gear andwheel me to the beach. What a beautiful sight: uncrowded gentle knee to thing highs, semi clean, just mild offshore winds.

The paddle out was a snap and it was great to get back in the ocean and see the spray come over the board on the paddle out (Love that!)— and the big waves from the locals in the line up, welcoming me home was a real nice touch.

Just being out there amongst friends and the ocean was indescribably as you might know. To me, the social aspect of surfing is what makes it so delicious. I don’t mean paddling over to a guy who clearly wants to be alone.( I mean trading jokes, How you doing buddy’s, complimenting rides, and sharing the awesomeness of being one with the ocean: that’s the socializing I love. And for those I know better, hearing the latest on the grandchild, or the job search, or working to give up smoking etc. — to me that’s part of surfing too, just as it’s part of life. )

So, I paddled for 2.5 hours— this med works wonders— with some spasticity, but no spasms. Hallelujah! And I chased about 10 waves: my timing is really off having been out of the ocean since October, but also being overexcited. I popped up on 5 waves: the first four the pop up was awful with both feet facing forward, so I lost the board. The last one, though, I nailed— feet were in place, and I got a nice little drop on a thigh high clean left: I couldn’t move my feet nimble enough to redistribute the weight, or shift my weight around gracefully, so the ride ended quickly....but I got that drop feeling that we all love!

But mainly I got pieces of myself back. I got a fun fun fun morning with friends in the ocean!Now, i am thinking of maybe being able to do it again as the body and med allows— before today, I had thought my surfing days were closing.

I might look like a kook out there : But I challenge anyone to strap 20lb weights on each ankle, five pounds on each arm, get good and dizzy by spinning around for 5 minutes, and have a gorilla squeezing your shin and ankle muscles, and then try to surf!

I am so lucky to be a surfer. And I know it.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am so lucky to be a surfer. And I know it.
    And you show it! What a great day!

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

before today, I had thought my surfing days were closing.
    You were saying that a while back, I think. And yet here you are today, right in there surfing!

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

What an exciting, fun day Sunshine had. Thanks Sunshine, for letting us enjoy it with you. Wonderful description of your morning.

Well....as for Virginia! She stayed in bed until 2:00P.M. this afternoon. I just cannot go out 3 days in a row and not pay. I was out Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I have to go again tomorrow, Tuesday a guy is coming to my house to detail my car and Thursday I have an appointment with my eye Doctor. So another busy week at my pace now. Amazing how this would have been absolutely nothing a while back. Now it just knocks me out.
    Virginia

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Sunshine, thanks for sharing your wonderful experience today with us, sounds magical!

Agate, I was looking at other pedometers, many don't register steps until you've reached more than 30 at a time!

Virginia, I'm the same way, I need time to recover between days out. I look forward to the rest days.

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast