Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast

Thread: OT May Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

That's a tough situation, Cherie. Wish I had a good suggestion for you, but I don't. Vent when you need to, we're here to listen and support.
    Hugs to you.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cherie, people do take advantage of people who are trying to be kind and conscientious. But you wouldn't want to collapse from fatigue and the strain of overdoing.

nuthatch, that Maypole is lovely!

I did mention a Maypole. In elementary school--maybe 4th grade?--we had a Maypole. I can't recall if it was just our grade or all 12 grades who participated but it was enjoyable. It was on the schoolgrounds, using a giant strides pole as the Maypole, and the children wove the colored ribbons around the pole.

It's possible nobody here knows about giant strides. We had two giant strides--one for the younger kids, one for the older. You never see them any more, and I'm sure they were very dangerous, but we loved them. In the (ancient!) photo I found online, there is a grassy surface but the surfaces in our area were all rocks and more rocks, and so there were quite a few skinned knees and elbows from using the giant strides but we could fly fairly high on them, and when there were many people on one, it got quite exciting.

They must have removed the dangling chains for the Maypole event because they'd have been in the way.

Last edited by agate; 05-14-2019 at 09:05 AM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

Thank you all. He does need a nursing home and all of us but Neil agree to that. He is living well below the poverty level for income but Medicaid would cover the care. He will not let someone into his home to clean or cook or do laundry as there is a great deal of paranoia about outsiders. I know the right answer here is nursing home care but I really was venting and not looking for help with this because I know there is no good answer as far as he is concerned.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Cherie, this is totally appropriate andI had no idea what kind of family stress you are up against. Take care of yourself and David.

Lord knows that even if you did do the drive (which is not possible or advisable), his situation would be no better off than it is, and yours would be far worse off.

We judge ourselves too much in our culture, causing untold guilt and fear.

A remarkable, quick to read book, has def helped me stop judging myself (and others), called Breakfast with Buddha, a fiction novel , a remarkable story that opens our eyes to a slightly diff reality than most of us live in. Two of my friends read it , one retired immediately to raise puppies, the other said, she no longer feels guilty about reading a good book instead of working on this or that. Those are small changes, but the biggest change is in the interior of the mind.

Since reading this book, and starting meditation at home alone, my serenity has improved greatly.

This is indeed a great place to vent: Private, accepting, knowledgeable, empathic.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Sunshine, I am reading that book now because of your review in the book thread.

Cherie, if he is a danger to himself, and it sounds like he is as far as judgement, the town or county nurses can pink paper him to get him into a hospital and then some kind of care. Itís not ideal. (I hear you, Rose).

Iím glad you felt you could vent here. Stress is not good for MS.

ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 05-14-2019 at 08:58 AM.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by stillstANNding View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sunshine, I am reading that book now because of your review in the book thread.

ANN
    Am assuming you are referring to The Silent patient? The end is a tremendous twist. But, I have to say, the editor did not do a good job preparing for the ending. It really sucks you into the story right from the get go though....So sorry.

But I am reading Soul of an octopus by Sy Montgomery and so far its excellent.

And Breakfast with Buddha was stunning—changed my life.

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

No, I am referring to Breakfast w the Buddha. And I have Soul of an Octopus!

ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 05-14-2019 at 09:00 AM.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Agate, you mean you didn't have colored crepe paper to make your costume for the May Day maypole? I have to confess, I am sure my Mother made mine.
    Virginia

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by stillstANNding View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, I am referring to Breakfast w the Buddha. And I have Soul of an Octopus!

ANN
    GOOD!!! Let me know what you think about Br with Buddha?

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

The Giant Stride . . . I do not remember those, did you hang on it with just your arms or was there a bar for your feet too? Can't tell by the picture. I can see why they don't have them anymore. Wonder how many teeth got knocked out by those fun things? I loved merry-go-rounds. Lots of kids got hurt on those too, but boy, were they fun! Now they're a thing of the past. See-saws too. Monkey bars . . . ahhh, the good ol' days!
    Now, there is a trampoline in every backyard!

Never took part in a Maypole . . . crepe paper costume . . . sounds interesting but uncomfortable!

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast