Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: OT May Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

They didn't say, and I didn't press the issue. I got the proper replacements, and I was on my way! I wouldn't want to get anyone fired. It's up to each of us to notice anything strange about our medications. I'm getting soft in my old age.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Smile

You know, I would like to experience an earthquake. A mild one mind you, but just as a "life experience". It has to be scary, but then isn't that the reason we get on amusement park rides, to be scared?

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Well, this is a new one. Howie would like to experience an earthquake.
    There have been news stories about earthquakes that will give you a pretty good idea.

Having MS is a little like being in an earthquake at times. The ground and everything around you is shaking. You feel very unstable. You might entertain notions about whether the world is coming to an end.

It does stop, though, and then you can sit around waiting for the aftershocks or the next earthquake.

Whole lotta shakin goin on. Oh and--again like MS--it doesn't really stop. The earth is constantly undergoing little mini-earthquakes that you don't feel but they're happening. There's no solid ground, really. You just like to think there is.

The worst one I recall was the Nisqually quake in 2001--6.8.
    Last edited by agate; 05-03-2019 at 12:50 PM.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Unhappy

6.8? No, I don't care to be in one THAT large. Did you get hurt, or have property damage?

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

No, I lived in a building that went up in 1981 and was probably fairly earthquake-proof. It's older construction that seems to get hit harder.

I believe a couple of people on the top floor of my building had broken mirrors, and then there was my cracked pot that I mentioned. But no paintings fell off the walls, no windows broke, and the cat took the whole thing in stride.

I found out later that lots of people ran out of the building. That's not what is recommended. I got under my desk. Some people positioned themselves in their doorways (that is recommended as long as it's the right kind of doorway). The man across the hall who had MS and was in a wheelchair fulltime was sitting calmly in his open doorway.

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Hi all, everything is good, just 2 aftershocks according to the USGS website, but I didn't feel or hear them. I was surprised at how loud that quake sounded last night. The shaking was not bad, just shaking, no sharp jerks, unlike others we've had before. This quake was probably on the smaller, local fault instead of the large San Andres fault line that runs the entire length of California. Those do a lot more moving. I have noticed over the years that if you're close to the epicenter of a quake, you can hear a loud kind of boom and/or rumble sound and the movement feels much stronger. The unpredictability of quakes can be pretty unnerving!

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

nuthatch ~

Edited to Add:

I was composing this when you posted. The noise is awful. I'm so glad that you're okay.

I checked the USGS earthquake map, and it appears that you’ve had a couple of 3.0+ aftershocks. I hope that they subside soon.

In March 2014, we had a 5.1 quake at 9 p.m. We live about 2 miles from the epicenter. Our neighborhood took the worst beating, since we’re on the fault line. Chimneys and fences toppled. The water mains broke in our neighborhood and below us. Water flooded down our street for hours.

All of the cupboard doors and drawers and our refrigerator doors were opened. No room was spared; we had damage everywhere. Cracks above doors, windows, ceiling parts fell off, exterior stucco fell off. We lost glassware, dishes, treasured pottery and family heirlooms.

We had hundreds of aftershocks for several weeks, including a 4.1. I couldn’t sleep for days.

Every neighbor I met on my walks was terrified and reported lots of damage to their homes. We all talked about the overbearing noise the quake caused. Like a train running through our home.

I pray that you don’t have the same experience, because it was a nightmare. I still wait for it to happen again. It will someday, because the fault line is still being fracked. Yeah. Imagine that!

Please report in soon, so we know that you’re okay. Sending prayers for you and your husband and neighbors.

Howie ~

I’ve lived through hundreds of earthquakes. They aren’t fun or interesting. They are horrifying, because we never know how big the quake will be, whether aftershocks will be bigger and how long they will continue. Just give thanks that you’ve never experienced an earthquake. I hope you never do.

agate ~

Standing in a doorway is one of the worst things to do during an earthquake.

This article explains why that is an outdated recommendation, and that drop, cover and hold on is the best thing to do:

https://www.washington.edu/uwem/prep...an-earthquake/

This site provides advice for people with disabilities:

https://www.earthquakecountry.org/disability/

Ideally, if a person can get under a mattress, it is the safest place, because it will protect the person from anything falling off the walls or ceiling.

Stay safe everyone!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 05-03-2019 at 03:06 PM.
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nuthatch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi all, everything is good, just 2 aftershocks according to the USGS website, but I didn't feel or hear them. I was surprised at how loud that quake sounded last night. The shaking was not bad, just shaking, no sharp jerks, unlike others we've had before. This quake was probably on the smaller, local fault instead of the large San Andres fault line that runs the entire length of California. Those do a lot more moving. I have noticed over the years that if you're close to the epicenter of a quake, you can hear a loud kind of boom and/or rumble sound and the movement feels much stronger. The unpredictability of quakes can be pretty unnerving!
    I'm so so glad you are okay! Thanks for updating us!

On the subject of natural disasters I have a wonderful best friend that was born in India who I have likely mentioned in previous posts about India. He went back to India to visit family 2 days ago and now a giant cyclone is headed directly for them! https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/...024739439.html
    PLEASE,PLEASE PRAY FOR MY FRIEND'S SAFETY! I don't want him to die obviously! Much appreciated!
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

14. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Nisqually? Where's that and how far away were you at the time?

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Will do, Funnylegs! Hope your friend and all the people can keep out of danger.

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast