Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: OT May Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

I hear coyotes howl and yap often and very close by, especially at night, but in the daytime too. I've seen them many times on my property, sometimes just one, often more than one. They have become very plentiful all over California, even in densely populated areas. My brother, who lives in San Clemente, told me one day, while he was walking his small dog, people kept honking and waving at him as they drove by on the fairly busy street. Finally a man pulled up next to him with his window rolled down and yelled for my brother to pick up his dog because there was a coyote following him about 10 feet behind! M brother looked back and was surprised to see that a coyote was stalking them. His little dog was about to be snatched, leash and all, for a meal in broad daylight! It had happened to others in the area, he later learned.

Years ago, his wife returned from the grocery store and let the dogs out in the front yard to pee while she unloaded the car in the driveway. Suddenly she heard her toy poodle scream and turned around to see a coyote had the dog in it's mouth (by the butt, hahaha!) and was headed across the street with it. Of course, she screamed and went chasing after it. The coyote dropped the dog and ran off.
    Many more coyote experiences, but I've bored you enough already. Some day I'll bore you with my bear experiences or our recent mountain lion tales. Unnerving!

The coyote sound is more high pitched than a dog . . . a large dog. Two coyote can sound like ten when they get yipping and howling. We have someone who lives nearby who apparently has a couple of hound dogs. They howl and howl when they hear a siren of any kind. They sound very different than the coyotes.

Here is what they sound like when there is only one, at least here in CA: https://www.trutechinc.com/services/...sounds/coyote/
    They're probably all over your town too.

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nuthatch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hear coyotes howl and yap often and very close by, especially at night, but in the daytime too. I've seen them many times on my property, sometimes just one, often more than one. They have become very plentiful all over California, even in densely populated areas. My brother, who lives in San Clemente, told me one day, while he was walking his small dog, people kept honking and waving at him as they drove by on the fairly busy street. Finally a man pulled up next to him with his window rolled down and yelled for my brother to pick up his dog because there was a coyote following him about 10 feet behind! M brother looked back and was surprised to see that a coyote was stalking them. His little dog was about to be snatched, leash and all, for a meal in broad daylight! It had happened to others in the area, he later learned.

Years ago, his wife returned from the grocery store and let the dogs out in the front yard to pee while she unloaded the car in the driveway. Suddenly she heard her toy poodle scream and turned around to see a coyote had the dog in it's mouth (by the butt, hahaha!) and was headed across the street with it. Of course, she screamed and went chasing after it. The coyote dropped the dog and ran off.
    Many more coyote experiences, but I've bored you enough already. Some day I'll bore you with my bear experiences or our recent mountain lion tales. Unnerving!

The coyote sound is more high pitched than a dog . . . a large dog. Two coyote can sound like ten when they get yipping and howling. We have someone who lives nearby who apparently has a couple of hound dogs. They howl and howl when they hear a siren of any kind. They sound very different than the coyotes.

Here is what they sound like when there is only one, at least here in CA: https://www.trutechinc.com/services/...sounds/coyote/
    They're probably all over your town too.
    It is amazing how 3 coyotes can sound like dozens! We too have lots and hear the yipping.
    It is bear season now so news reports are constantly reminding people to take down bird feeders.

I am in western MA and we had a mountain lion. 100’ Away. Looking through a fence around my geese! It was frightening. State officials came to check the paw prints and the scat to verify. I never let my pups run around even if I am with them. Too many dangers even in daylight. I am lucky I have a dog park just a couple of miles away...thank goodness.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks! It definitely wasn't a coyote then. This animal had a very bass voice and no yapping sounds after a howl. It may have probably someone's dog who had been penned up in the back yard too long and was very unhappy about it. I've heard it (for hours) on a couple of nights.

Yes, there are definitely coyotes around here. Quite a few neighbors have mentioned seeing and hearing them. There must be even more raccoons because I've seen lots of them by now. I checked out their noises on the Internet once because I'd been hearing weird sounds. It turns out that they make many weird sounds--more like a clackety-clack sometimes.
    i don't trip--I do random gravity checks.

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

Perhaps it was a werewolf you heard, looking for it's next victim! BOO!!!
    Evolution spans the Universe.

8. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Perhaps it was a werewolf you heard, looking for it's next victim! BOO!!!
    It sounded spooky enough to have been something like that. Poor dog just wasn't provided with a pleasing voice but then no dog barking nonstop is enjoyable to listen to. Just my opinion!

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Cool

Nonstop meowing from a cat can get on your nerves pretty fast too!

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Speaking of cats, don't tell anyone but there's a familiar catperson on this board right now, one we've been wondering about.

Ask me no questions, I tell you no lies....

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

Coyotes are an every day thing around here. They have cross bred with large dogs...perhaps even wolves...and are often the size of a small German Shepherd. It stays cool here as well with rain every day this week, temps in the 40s at night and 50s during the day and windy. Lots of stuff greening and blooming but we need to do some raking and clean up before getting the mower out and have grasses nearly a foot high in places around the edges of the lawn.

Headed for the condo after breakfast in the morning for our onsite yearly meeting focused on maintenance. The 7 of us on the Board do a walk about to check on issues identified by owners or staff as needing attention and decide what to act on this year and what can wait or have lesser cost repairs. We know we are replacing $16,000 in rugs and tile next week (we have closed the units for this weekly maintenance) and about $12,000 in furniture replacement. It'll be a fast trip going up tomorrow and back Sunday (4 hour drive each way).

UTI is being addressed with antibiotic but my blood sugars are far higher than I am comfortable with them being. Will speak with PCP next week when I return about starting another med to manage.

16. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Cool

I just got back from my Doctor visit. And Cherie, she is a NP. We got
    to just talk for a while, and get to know each other a little better. We got along just fine. She does a blood panel every visit, and my last one was great. I'm pretty healthy for an old hippie.

I didn't get any sleep last night, I really don't know why. I'm even out of coffee, so that wasn't it. But tonight is The Outer Limits marathon, so I'll watch it as long as I can stay awake.

And tomorrow.....PAY DAY!!! Whoopeeeee!!!!!

Everyone have a great evening!
    Last edited by Howie; 05-02-2019 at 04:50 PM.

18. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

The talk about coyotes and such is right on target for me. We have seen them in my neighborhood, but today there was a notice on my Nextdoor Neighbor site that said a rather large fox was seen right up the street from me. Not in my neighborhood, but very close.

Cherie, hope you get the blood sugar in a better range soon. Have a good trip to the condo. Is David going to do anything athletic while there? Maybe some kayaking or something.

Howie, you know you never sleep the night before a Doctor's appointment, so maybe that is what happened last night.

Agate, wish we would hear from that familiar cat person. It is good to know that they might be reading. The barking or howling that you are hearing would get on my nerves. I wonder if any of your neighbors have heard it. I taught my dog not to bark. The bad side of that being that she never barked if anyone came around, however I just wanted her to love on and not for protection.
    Virginia

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast