Thread: Copied from Dave Bexfeld’s newsletter...DMT conclusions

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Default Copied from Dave Bexfeld’s newsletter...DMT conclusions

Dave Bexfield is the Active MSers guy! I copied this from his newsletter today.

.”FDA Approves Two Oral MS Meds. Last month the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Mayzent (siponimod) and Mavenclad (cladribine) tablets to treat relapsing forms of MS and active secondary progressive disease. That makes 17 disease modifying therapies for MS! And why does that matter so dang much? For starters, a new study recently confirmed that the MS prevalence in the US alone is nearly 1 million (release the balloons!), more than doubling earlier estimates. But more importantly, a new large, sweeping MS DMT study in JAMA found that the "risk of reaching major disability milestones has significantly decreased" likely due to "increased use of more efficacious disease-modifying treatments." Keep rereading that sentence. Yes, DMTs matter. A lot.”
    Last edited by Lazarus; 04-25-2019 at 12:18 PM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wasn't sure where to put this but since it's also from Dave Bexfield's newsletter, I'll put it here. It has some connection with recent discussions here about diets for MS:

It is estimated that as many as 75 percent of people with multiple sclerosis modify their diets and/or take supplements. Certainly, eating healthier and losing weight is good for you, period. So is avoiding crystal meth, poorly-packed parachutes, and street gangs. But when it comes to multiple sclerosis, no diets (Swank, Jelinek, Wahls, et al.) have been shown to have any scientifically proven effect on the disease. No supplements (fish oil, turmeric, et al.) have been shown to have any scientifically proven effect on the disease. No non-FDA approved procedures and treatments (removing mercury fillings, et al.) have been shown to have any scientifically proven effect on the disease. And I'm not gonna touch CCSVI and LDN, both of which have vocal supporters but limited scientific backing as of this writing. Indeed, all CCSVI studies have failed to show any benefit.

Arg! Yes, it is frustrating. While MS studies have found Ginkgo Biloba does nothing for cognition, that statins don't reduce relapses, and that bee sting therapy, well, just plain hurts, little is conclusive in the field of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM). Diets in particular are hard to study because of compliance. Now I've read that Vitamin D may hold some promise ... but studies are still ongoing so it's not a slam dunk. Excess salt may ramp up disease progression ... in mice with an MS-like disease when they consume enough NaCl to kill a horse. Lowering stress, which research suggests may be associated to relapses, is good (who wants stress?) but not proven to influence the disease. My personal favorite study is the one that found moderate alcohol intake may have a neuroprotective effect. But sorry, I'm not about to tell you to booze it up.

Bottom line: some of these lifestyle changes and treatments may help--and may even help in a big way... or do absolutely nothing at all. So if you want to go on an anti-inflammatory, gluten-free, turmeric-laden vegan diet (gads, no more corndogs) it almost certainly won't hurt you--and you'll probably lose weight and feel better. It just might not help your MS, either. My best advice: talk to your neurologist and tell him or her exactly what you are taking to avoid dangerous drug interactions (or unnecessary treatment; e.g., Biotin can trick docs into thinking you have thyroid issues), do your own research on reputable sites, and please tread carefully when it comes to unproven remedies touted on the internet. Regretfully, the CAM market, as I've personally discovered, is rife with scammers and hucksters.
    [links in text removed]
    Last edited by agate; 05-25-2019 at 05:28 PM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

I'm JUST seeing this post from 4:15. It's not the first time this has happened, and it's not because I'm not here.
    Last edited by Howie; 05-25-2019 at 07:11 PM.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Agate, can you post the link to that?

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agate, can you post the link to that?
    I can try.
    http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....6-8fdf763de52e

Howie, I'm not sure what problem you're having. The 4:15 post you're talking about wouldn't be anything I would know about because the time zones are different. The posts are usually timed to fit your time zone (unless your settings are wrong).

You do know how to refresh the board, right?
    Last edited by agate; 05-26-2019 at 07:47 AM.

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Yes. Maybe it's my computer's server that's having trouble. It's no big deal.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Your latest post in this thread is post #6 if that's any help.

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"