Thread: Neurological diseases and Nature And Gardening.

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Default Neurological diseases and Nature And Gardening.

New Med: NDANAG— better than placebo, no side effects, inexpensive—NeuroloigcalDiseasesAndNatureAnd Gardeining

We live in a lovely natural habitat that I can see through the window. My DH proclaimed he would buy raised planters, since I had enjoye nurturing potted herbs and veggies at the old house until about Hurricane Michael when we had to throw all the pots off the roof...thats a diffferent story.

So, I have 2 planters onthe pool deck. Plenty of sunshine, but there is a screen that cuts down on the rays some.

I have basil, rosemary, thyme, small grape tomatoes, oregano. And we bought very small succulent plants for my kitchen window: I know nothing about raising succulents. Next to them in shot glasses, I have a thyme and mint cutting I am rooting to put back into soil eventually.

Then I spotted this article by Oliver Sacks, famous neurologist. I hope you can read it. One hopes there are many others like him out there, its about the value of nature and gardening on humans and invalids, and long time hospitalized and nursing homes patients....

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/18/o...gtype=Homepage

I know the little bit of tending of my plants i do every day is relaxing and keeps me in in the moment. Try it! Get small plants to see if you like it first. If you are in a concrete jungle, find a sunny window and start there. Some plants require only direct light.

2. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

My friend who had a stroke said gardening helped his neurologic recovery.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

4. The following user says "thanks"

Today I rolled out to the raised planter in my rollator (C3P0) to check on plants. The herbs and tomatoes look healthy. But, I see evidence of root aphids—-not a good sign!!!

The indoor succulents look perkey despite not enough hours of direct sunlight.

On the same ledge as the succulents, I started cuttings of mint, and Thyme . They are rooting, but the mint leaves lookburnt. Had put one osmocote bead in thyme water. Had put 2 in the mint. Will stick with one. Or maybe none.

I started an oregano cutting next to the other cuttings.

The aphids appear to be gone, with no treatment other than a tincture of time.
    I germinated spring onions successfully this week, on a moist paper towel inside a baggie in the windowsill...so, today I just put them in some soil in the shade in small pots. To harden them. the plan is to put them in the raised planter if they take root.

So far, the gardening is a very zen like experience, makes me focus on the miracle of life, empties my mind of most thoughts. Meditation helps too. A lot.