Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gardening and Nature

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Nuthatch: I love your story about your bunnies, and assorted wildlife :)

Yes we have alligators. We live on a waterway which is filled with alligators, it is a fairly undeveloped waterway, old Florida— big oaks by the water withhanging branches filled with bromeliads and the such.

The house is far enough back that the water doesn’t get anywhere near it even ina hurricane. But, you are mindful when you approach the edge of the water that there might be a baby or two.

Alligators move VERY FAST...

One of my favorite signs is near myPCP building — in the parking area is a fenced in retention pond with a sign that says to beware of alligators.

No part of Florida is immune to alligators. They are protected species and have flourished under these protections. Every now and then the state licenses a certain number of hunters to capture a certain number of gators.

When I used to canoe in the river, it was unnerving to see the gators nostrils peak out of the water, or the gator sunnng itself on a log...because the canoe was so close to the water. We brought a large knife with us—-just in case :)

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for the tips Laz...I might have to pick your brain!

I put herb cuttings in a glass to root. I thought that maybe they needed some nutrition as well as the water. So, I put one bead of osmocote per shot glass....Is that necessary? Wil it burn the plant?
    Not sure..I don’t use osmocote but too much fertilizer could burn the plant...it should recover? I wouldn’t fertilize anything before it had firmly establish good roots. Good luck! I just spent a couple of hours in my greenhouse to start selecting, cleaning and repotting plants to bring to the first market of 2019 NEXT SATURDAY. oi-Vez.
    H
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Sunshine! You brought a knife? Not an ax? How large a knife would a person need to fight off an alligator?!
    “When I used to canoe in the river, it was unnerving to see the gators nostrils peak out of the water, or the gator sunnng itself on a log...because the canoe was so close to the water. We brought a large knife with us—-just in case :)”

When I just posted this there were a bunch of attached images. I tried to edit the post to erase them but that did not work. I stupidly clicked on one image and my iPad kept flashing a “not secure” message. I hope they are gone but if not do not click on them!!!!!!!!
    I see they are gone but I am leaving this message for others to see.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 04-21-2019 at 10:37 AM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

The best strategy is to punch them in their nose and they will release you.
    You can stab them in the nose or the mouth.

They grab you and then roll over, thus drowning you, and then they eat you. They are aggressive creatures.
    You could bring a gun, but you might not be able to use it.

I would take a shark any day over a gator.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I never learned to swim....no chance encounters for me!
    Linda~~~~

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Knife or not, I think I'd just stay away from the water as much as possible. You are one brave woman, Sunshine. I've seen videos of alligator attacks and those are scary creatures! I would be terrified to see one in the water with me in a canoe!

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Ditto what Nuthatch said.

Agate, thanks for the Easter flower picture. Lovely!
    Virginia

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

I.am cat dancer I am not doing well at all. This may be the last for a while. It has been for a fun for the last 15 years. Take care of yourself s I hope I'm wrong I hope TC can get on here to tell you what happened.

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Best to you, Catdancer. We miss you and wish you well. We’d love to hear from Tom Cat. You concentrate on yourself.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Pegakafarmgirl's Avatar

we love you Cat,, we sure wish, nothing but the best for you and TC,,concentrate on the healing, we will be here,,
    Last edited by Pegakafarmgirl; 04-22-2019 at 09:25 AM.
    " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast