Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gardening and Nature

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Default Gardening and Nature

We live in a lovely natural habitat that I can see through the window. My DH proclaimed he would buy raised planters, since I had enjoye nurturing potted herbs and veggies at the old house until about Hurricane Michael when we had to throw all the pots off the roof...thats a diffferent story.

So, I have 2 planters onthe pool deck. Plenty of sunshine, but there is a screen that cuts down on the rays some.

I have basil, rosemary, thyme, small grape tomatoes, oregano. And we bought very small succulent plants for my kitchen window: I know nothing about raising succulents. Next to them in shot glasses, I have a thyme and mint cutting I am rooting to put back into soil eventually.

Then I spotted this article by Oliver Sacks, famous neurologist. I hope you can read it. One hopes there are many others like him out there, its about the value of nature and gardening on humans and invalids, and long time hospitalized and nursing homes patients....

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/18/o...gtype=Homepage

I know the little bit of tending of my plants i do every day is nice. And of course, Laz does it for her work as does Peg.
    Last edited by Sunshine; 04-18-2019 at 07:06 AM.

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Pegakafarmgirl's Avatar

Sunshine,, good topic,,,wow,, you really are getting your green thumb a work out,,remember to water early and late day,,

like I said, we are just getting started,, depending on weather,, a half a acre we usually plant,, 30 tomato plants,, zucchinni's,,peppers,,cabbages,,we will probally can and freeze in August,, oh yes , and butcher beef in December,, we are the hillbillys from Iowa,,lol
    " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Beautiful garden photos in that article, Sunshine--and I'm so glad you posted it just now, with spring here at last. Looking at plants is very restful. These peaceful views are welcome.

Good luck with the succulents! Most of them are quite easy but they need sun. So I haven't had any in years but recall looking after a couple of jade plants years ago. They thrived on neglect!
    Last edited by agate; 04-18-2019 at 08:04 AM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beautiful garden photos in that article, Sunshine--and I'm so glad you posted it just now, with spring here at last. Looking at plants is very restful. These peaceful views are welcome.

Good luck with the succulents! Most of them are quite easy but they need sun. So I haven't had any in years but recall looking after a couple of jade plants years ago. They thrived on neglect!
    Hi,
    I grow a lot of succulents. Thousands actually. You might have more success with some than others but none of them are in love with heavy watering. Mine are shaded in the greenhouse. They seem to like light more than sun. Treat them more like a cactus to avoid overwatering. I had lots of them flowering this winter. Most people do ‘t Get to see the flowers.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Today I rolled out to the raised planter in my rollator (C3P0) to check on plants. The herbs and tomatoes look healthy. But, I see evidence of root aphids—-not a good sign!!!

The indoor succulents look perkey despite not enough hours of direct sunlight.

On the same ledge as the succulents, I started cuttings of mint, and Thyme . They are rooting, but the mint leaves lookburnt. Had put one osmocote bead in thyme water. Had put 2 in the mint. Will stick with one. Or maybe none.

I started an oregano cutting next to the other cuttings.

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Thanks for the tips Laz...I might have to pick your brain!

I put herb cuttings in a glass to root. I thought that maybe they needed some nutrition as well as the water. So, I put one bead of osmocote per shot glass....Is that necessary? Wil it burn the plant?

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

You've heard of having a "green thumb"? Well, when it comes to growing things, I have a "black thumb". I am Doctor Death when it comes to plants.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Today I actually potted a couple of coleus plants brought to me on Thursday by the grocery shopping service I use. I was taking a chance by having someone else pick these out but I'm pleased with the choice. They look like healthy plants that just might survive even me.

While I was at it, I also potted another coleus and a Swedish ivy plant. I had started these as cuttings last fall, and now they're ready to be outside.

Today is the last day when there could be a frost around here.

Happy Easter and Happy Passover to those who observe them! Happy Spring to the rest!

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Beautiful flowers, Agate!

We live on a couple of acres and have seen many jackrabbits around. They are pretty big and oh so fast, but his little guy was found in some grass/weeds by my patio several years ago. It's a wild baby jackrabbit and was only about 5 inches long.
    My DH had been hoeing some weeds right up next to the patio slab and happened to see it. Being careful not to touch it, very gently using a shovel, he put it on the slab so he could see it clearly to make sure it was not injured. He called me and I photographed it. It wasn't injured but didn't move a bit. DH then gently returned it to where it was found in the weeds. He stopped all work and left it alone, hoping the mother would come for it, but sadly, it was dead the next morning. Each of the following 2 days we discovered another dead bunny in the same area, all uninjured. We felt terrible!

I did a little research about jackrabbits and learned that the young are born in a fur-filled depression. Most litters have between three to four young. The female will move the babies to separate locations to make them less vulnerable to predators. The babies only nurse for three to four days and are independent by the time they are a month old.

I get so nervous when I see the neighbors mowing their acreage this time of year. My DH walks around any area he intends to hoe or mow now, just in case. He looks for quail nests also, since we have so many quail around. All the other neighbors have dogs so I think a lot of the wildlife gravitates to our property.

I love seeing the deer, but lately there are none around, most likely because there has been a mountain lion/cougar seen several times by some of the neighbors and warnings in my Nextdoor Group after a few people in our area lost goats to the mountain lion. That's one animal I wish wasn't around! Makes me nervous when DH goes for a walk. He doesn't go walking in the early morning or late afternoon now, but that mountain lion has been seen in the middle of the day. It also left footprints in my planter that the fountain is in, when it went up to get a drink! Yikes!

Sunshine, I always think of alligators in Florida. Do you have any around you?

Attached Images Attached Images

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

You’ve been busy Agate! I look forward to doing stuff like that with my plants :)

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast