Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718

Thread: Jim Has A Fever. ER Bound

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

funnylegs4~

Actually, I was injured in the accident and spent a week in the hospital. That's what happens without a seat belt (Rambler didn't have them). No, the psoriasis wasn't linked to the anemia. It was linked to a tremendous amount of stress and overdoing with college and working.

Jim is actually cold all of the time due to the low WBC. And the weather here has been mild and spectacular. He was just having an off day.

After sleeping well last night, Jim enjoyed his regular breakfast this morning. Then, he went back to sleep. And then ...

EARTHQUAKE!

At 10:33, a 6.4 quake hit in Ridgecrest, about 155 miles from us. It was felt in Nevada all the way down to Mexico. We felt it strongly. It was a rolling quake, which made our house rock back and forth. It lasted about 20 seconds and scared me, as I remembered our quake 4 years ago. I was afraid it was on our fault line, and there would be more to come. Thankfully, we haven't felt the over 40 aftershocks.

Jim fell back to sleep immediately after the quake! Meanwhile, I found the local news on line and watched it for updates and news conferences.

AND THEN ... HAWKS!

A Mom, Dad, and Offspring Hawk family has moved in! While Jim was sleeping, they appeared on our fence, with Dad standing watch on the roof of Jim's workshop. They took turns bathing in Michael's pond. And they "chatted" in their distinct high pitched squeal. They are extremely conversational!

I grabbed the camera and tried to get photos through our windows and screens.

Attachment 5245

Attachment 5246

Attachment 5247

Attachment 5248

Attachment 5249

They are on the greenbelt behind our home now, flying from tree to tree, squealing, and flying into and over our yard.

Tomorrow morning, I will clean the pond and add water to it. I hope that the waterfall will continue to flow.

I suggested to Jim that we should name them.

OUR EVENING PLANS

I made potato salad, Jim's favorite, and I always give him a taste to make sure it's right. Two thumbs up today! He'll either have a Beyond Burger or a veggie dog, and I'll open a can of Amy's baked beans. (I gave up baking beans from scratch eons ago.)

John and I were texting, when the earthquake occurred. It was so funny to me, because he texted, "Did you feel that?" We live about 1.5 miles from each other!

John is entertaining his whole family today with a BBQ. He said he was making Morningstar veggie burgers for his brother in law, and would grill a couple for us and bring them over. God Bless John! I thanked him, but I explained that Jim probably shouldn't eat food made by others, because of his low WBC.

Also, it may be a veggie burger, but it's being grilled with beef burgers. I don't think that our systems could deal with any beef residue. I didn't tell him this, nor that we don't like Morningstar products. I don't want to hurt his feelings. He's trying so hard to include us and take care of us, and we love him so dearly.

BERRIES BUST

Unfortunately, soaking the berries in vinegar rendered them inedible for Jim. The strawberries are tasteless, hard, crunchy, and he says "leathery." To me they were just crunchy and tasteless.

The blueberries Jim called "sour," and I call them "tart." I did taste them prior to the wash, and they were sweet.

So, is 10 minutes too long to soak them? Where did I go wrong?

I hope that you've all enjoyed a pleasant Fourth of July, with much less excitement geologically than we have.

I've been listening to illegal fireworks (firecrackers, homemade bombs) all day, and it is less than patriotic to me. I feel like I'm in a war zone. My nerves are already pretty ragged from the quake, so this is not helping, and it will go on until tomorrow morning.

This is a day, when I'm glad that we don't have a dog. Our Bonnie Lass was a wreck on the 4th.

Thank you all so much for your love and prayers, constant support, and friendship. We love you and pray for you and your loved ones every day.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Hi Rose,

Thanks! College stress isn’t good for anybody. So sorry that happened.

When I heard the news about the earthquake I immediately thought of you and Jim! So glad you are both okay! I saw on the news that there were more aftershocks so I hope and pray you do not have to deal with those!

The Hawks are AMAZING!!! Such gorgeous animals! A gift from Jon and Michael I bet. Do keep us updated on the Hawk family!

Any reason why you don’t like Morningstar? So sorry about the berries. :( And the fireworks :( My area was a firework fest along with vaping for some reason. :(
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

2. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I am watching the news about a 6.9 Earthquake in CA. Praying you and Jim are nowhere near the quake!!!
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

4. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

My dear Rose,
    I am so glad that you both came through the 1st round of quakes fine, but how are you after yesterday's? I was trying to figure out from the news what you might have been feeling with the after shocks and the second big one yesterday. It's hard to tell from the news, though. I am sorry that Jim's appetite has been down recently - that must be so worrying for you. It's really hard when his favourite foods like berries are so difficult to prepare safely and have them still taste good. The information I found on the vinegar soak for berries said to soak for 5 minutes: How long do you soak berries in vinegar?
    about five minutes
    You may need more vinegar/water depending on how many strawberries you are planning to soak. Step 2: Place the water/vinegar solution into a bowl or glass container. Let the berries soak for about five minutes. Step 3: Place berries in a colander and rinse with water.Jan 9, 2017

I hope they taste better after you try it this way! Fingers crossed. John was so sweet to grill you veggie burgers - I know from our daughter that the difference in brands of veggie 'meats' makes a world of difference. Some are excellent and some are just not too great. I know John is a meat eater, so he probably doesn't know, bless him.

Please let us know how you are doing with the continuing quakes. I'm thrilled that you have hawks visiting! They are beautiful.
    Sending much love,
    Donna xoxo
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

6. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default We Are Okay

Thank you Tamie, Virginia, funnylegs4 and Donna ~

At 8:19 last night, Jim and I were watching the Dodgers, when the house started rolling. I go completely tense now, because of the trauma of our quake in 2014.

The Dodgers’ announcer commented that the earth was moving again. “Looks like we’re having another earthquake.”

It was a slow roll that kept going. I estimated about 40 seconds, which Dr. Lucy Jones confirmed was likely for our area. She described the length of the time the waves travel, one after another, which extends the shaking/rolling.

The quake was upgraded to 7.1, which is 10 times greater than the 6.4 on July 4. The 6.4 is now considered a foreshock, with the 7.1 being the quake. That is, unless a bigger one comes along.

The seismologist estimated that there will be 30,000 quakes as a result of this throughout the region. Yes, that’s right THIRTY THOUSAND!

This is the location of the China Lake Naval Weapons Station and Ft. Irwin.

As I mentioned, we are about 155 miles from this area, but these quakes have been felt as far as Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Mexico.

Nothing fell off shelves or walls. No drawers or cupboards opened. But we watched the pull chains on our dining room fan swaying, along with other hanging figures. I went into Michael’s room after it had subsided, and the angel ornaments on our gold iron Christmas tree were all swaying. This lasted for several minutes after the rolling stopped.

We had a 5.2 in 2014, and we’re a mile or so from the epicenter. Every room in our house was damaged and still isn’t repaired. Ceiling parts and pieces of dry wall fell off, stucco outside. There are cracks above every window and door.

I can’t imagine being in a 7.1 near the epicenter. My heart just goes out to the residents there, because the aftershocks are torturous.

Thankfully, we haven’t felt any of the thousands of aftershocks already recorded.

This has triggered my memory of 2014, when Jim and I were discussing options to evacuate Jon, if it was necessary. There weren’t any viable options, short of going to the ER, and they likely couldn’t have helped us. That remained a concern for us.

Now, it isn’t. While that might carry some element of relief, for me it’s just a stark reminder that Jonathan is gone.

It’s the same as my getting more sleep now. While that might be a blessing, I would give up sleep forever to hold him in my arms again.

JIM

Appetite is still low. He’s been asleep since his breathing treatment at 11:30, and it’s nearly 5:00 p.m. that’s too long without food or water for him, but he has so much trouble sleeping, I’m letting him. He’s missed his Lasix too, so that will happen, when he wakes up.

His memory is getting worse. He can’t remember what time he fell asleep or woke up. He looked at the big digital display on his clock and said it was 10:00. It was 7:00. It’s quite frustrating.

And, we’re on Day 8 without a shower. UGH! He agrees everyday to taking one, then he falls asleep. Then, he doesn’t want to do it.

Donna ~ I found the same recipe you did for the vinegar wash, but mine said to soak for 10 minutes. I hate to waste all of these berries and try again. Berries have many health benefits too. Sigh. I’m not up to it for now. We’ll stick with diced peaches and pears in their own juice.

Thank you all for your love, prayers, and constant support. We love you and pray for you and your loved ones.

Love & Light,

Rose

CALIFORNIA'S STATE MOTTO:

"Did you feel that?"
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 07-06-2019 at 04:48 PM.
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Tamie)))))) ~

I'm so glad that you didn't feel the 6.4 foreshock. Did you feel last night's 7.1 quake? I guess it depends upon which way the waves travel.

How wonderful that you have your garden and critters as a respite space. I'm sorry that the hawks are preying on the doves. I'm not putting out seed for the birds and squirrels now that the hawks have arrived. Skunks are very cute, but I'm not sure I'd want them hanging around in our backyard. Is Kaia protecting all of you from them by chasing them?

Oh, I can just imagine how beautiful the butterflies are. Lovely.

Hoping that you don't feel any quakes and sending healing prayers for you, Tyler, Jerry, and family.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Thank you Tamie, Virginia, funnylegs4 and Donna ~

At 8:19 last night, Jim and I were watching the Dodgers, when the house started rolling. I go completely tense now, because of the trauma of our quake in 2014.

The Dodgers’ announcer commented that the earth was moving again. “Looks like we’re having another earthquake.”

It was a slow roll that kept going. I estimated about 40 seconds, which Dr. Lucy Jones confirmed was likely for our area. She described the length of the time the waves travel, one after another, which extends the shaking/rolling.

The quake was upgraded to 7.1, which is 10 times greater than the 6.4 on July 4. The 6.4 is now considered a foreshock, with the 7.1 being the quake. That is, unless a bigger one comes along.

The seismologist estimated that there will be 30,000 quakes as a result of this throughout the region. Yes, that’s right THIRTY THOUSAND!

This is the location of the China Lake Naval Weapons Station and Ft. Irwin.

As I mentioned, we are about 155 miles from this area, but these quakes have been felt as far as Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Mexico.

Nothing fell off shelves or walls. No drawers or cupboards opened. But we watched the pull chains on our dining room fan swaying, along with other hanging figures. I went into Michael’s room after it had subsided, and the angel ornaments on our gold iron Christmas tree were all swaying. This lasted for several minutes after the rolling stopped.

We had a 5.2 in 2014, and we’re a mile or so from the epicenter. Every room in our house was damaged and still isn’t repaired. Ceiling parts and pieces of dry wall fell off, stucco outside. There are cracks above every window and door.

I can’t imagine being in a 7.1 near the epicenter. My heart just goes out to the residents there, because the aftershocks are torturous.

Thankfully, we haven’t felt any of the thousands of aftershocks already recorded.

This has triggered my memory of 2014, when Jim and I were discussing options to evacuate Jon, if it was necessary. There weren’t any viable options, short of going to the ER, and they likely couldn’t have helped us. That remained a concern for us.

Now, it isn’t. While that might carry some element of relief, for me it’s just a stark reminder that Jonathan is gone.

It’s the same as my getting more sleep now. While that might be a blessing, I would give up sleep forever to hold him in my arms again.

JIM

Appetite is still low. He’s been asleep since his breathing treatment at 11:30, and it’s nearly 5:00 p.m. that’s too long without food or water for him, but he has so much trouble sleeping, I’m letting him. He’s missed his Lasix too, so that will happen, when he wakes up.

His memory is getting worse. He can’t remember what time he fell asleep or woke up. He looked at the big digital display on his clock and said it was 10:00. It was 7:00. It’s quite frustrating.

And, we’re on Day 8 without a shower. UGH! He agrees everyday to taking one, then he falls asleep. Then, he doesn’t want to do it.

Donna ~ I found the same recipe you did for the vinegar wash, but mine said to soak for 10 minutes. I hate to waste all of these berries and try again. Berries have many health benefits too. Sigh. I’m not up to it for now. We’ll stick with diced peaches and pears in their own juice.

Thank you all for your love, prayers, and constant support. We love you and pray for you and your loved ones.

Love & Light,

Rose

CALIFORNIA'S STATE MOTTO:

"Did you feel that?"
    Hi Rose,

So relieved you are okay! Yes after I posted I saw the 7.1 upgrade. I hate to say it but I admit that I felt relieved your precious Jon did not have to go through the EarthQuakes with the fears involved in not being able to evacuate Jon properly. Needless to say natural disasters are not disability or chronic illness friendly. Then as a secondary thought as I watched things get broken by the rolling, like a story of a poor woman who had a TV fall on her and her china dishes smashed, I prayed Michael and Jon’s warrior urns had remained intact and whole.

I know Jim needs to bathe but remember his little body is fighting so much that he is probably too fatigued and may also be building up the difficulty in the steps involved in showering like I do when my muscles have an off day.

12. The following user says "thanks"

Rose, So glad you're safe. As soon as I heard about the quake I thought of you guys and prayed. I can't imagine how scary it must be.

I agree about the fireworks. they should not be set off in random neighborhoods. there's plenty of "shows" going on all over that if you want to see AND hear them go to them don't bring them around people and animals who are stressed by it. My dog was terrified of them.

I'm catching up on reading posts... We were on vacation in Wildwood. Kathleen's favorite week of the year. Perfect weather and wonderful friends. Our group has grown to about 40 adults and kids. We had lots of pool time and a trip down to the beach. The beach is a lot of work for Kathleen, it's a very wide beach so a long walk to and from, it was very hot, and a big ole soak in the tub to get all the sand off.
    Always praying for peace and healing.
    Mary Grace

14. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

funnylegs4 ~

Jonathan's and Michael's urns are safe. Nothing fell over during the 6.4 or 7.1 quakes. And during our 5.2 quake in 2014, Michael's urns stood unscathed. No damage to anything in his room, which is amazing.

GRATITUDE AND SORROW

Grief can be a dichotomy of gratitude and profound sorrow. For example, we had been worried and fearful about Jon surviving us. The most unnatural way to feel, of course, because parents should die before their children in the circle of life. While we actually prayed that he would go before us, accepting that reality is extraordinarily painful. And, while we are grateful that Jonathan wasn't in ICU, attached to a vent and IVs, we are still in shock that he passed, because it was sudden and unexpected.

Although I have described that day in detail, I doubt that anyone can comprehend fully and completely what we went through and continue to experience through our shock and grief.

Jim says that every time he goes to the bathroom, which is frequently, he looks in Jonathan's room, at his bed, and his heart sinks with sadness and longing.

This morning I was swiffering and vacuuming, and Jim and I were chatting about Toy Story 4. I commented that there are so many movies coming out that Jonathan would love, and which I would have ordered for him for his 50th birthday and Christmas.

Jim added, "Along with a great big chocolate cake!" He was reminiscing to our boys' birthday party in 1998, when Baskin Robbins made us an ice cream cake with the Lakers logo and basketball net on it. When Jim brought it to the table as we sang "Happy Birthday," Jon picked up his spoon ready to dig into the entire cake. That moment is on our home video, and we laugh about it every time we see it.

Today, I just burst into tears. I just kept repeating, "I miss him so much." I blew my nose, and continued cleaning the floors, including vacuuming the rug in Michael's room. Tears streaming down my cheeks unabated.

Jim said, "Of course, we still miss Michael, but we're so focused on Jon now."

I replied, "We've had 16 years to adjust to and accept Michael's physical absence. And we were prepared to lose him. It will be 3 months on Friday since Jon passed. We are just trying to cope with it, and the shock, and the pain. And stressful things keep happening to us. Our grief is the same as it was at this point after Michael's passing. And we have a long way to go before the rawness begins to heal."

So, the quakes shook up more than our home.

As I wrote this, a hawk landed on our fence, checking out the fountain. Now, all three are flying in and out of our yard and trees.

THE SHOWER

Jim showered yesterday of his own volition in the morning. Shaved too. Afterwards, he remarked that he felt so much better. Hmmm ... He does want to shower, but he's just so fatigued, as you said, that it's an effort.

Once it's done, he does feel better and more relaxed.

Oh! The shower faucet into the tub was stuck again, and neither one of us could pull it up to turn on the shower. Jim unscrewed the faucet head and used a screwdriver to clean out 20 years of minerals from our hard water. He screwed it back on, and it worked. He said, "Now that I know I can do that, let's get a new faucet, and we'll be back in business."

VISITORS

Yesterday, Nancy texted that she had us scheduled for tomorrow (which would be today). So, I texted her to ask why Monday and not her usual day, Tuesday. SHe didn't reply. We needed port supplies for Jim to be delivered, before her arrival. I fretted about this all night and when I woke up this morning.

I texted her to ask if she was coming out this morning, and she replied, "What are you talking about? I'm coming out tomorrow, Tuesday." She didn't realize that she'd confused the days in her text.

She'll be here for a blood draw tomorrow. The supplies are probably at our front door, but Jim's sleeping, so I can't check.

John texted wanting to visit us this afternoon after he finished work. I had to order from Instacart, which interrupted Jim's nap at noon. Jim ate, had a cuppa, took his Lasix and Potassium and fell asleep at 1:30. He's going on 4 hours soon.

So, I had to cancel John's visit once again. Of course, it reminds me of the many times I had to text John to cancel his visit to turn Jonathan. Asleep, filled with fluid, vomiting, on O2 ...

We really miss John, and we want and need to see him. He is the third Angel on Earth God has given to us, and we love him as we love our sons.

But this is our life, and he understands.

Mary Grace ~

I do hope you will share many photos of your wonderful Wildwood vacation. Wow! Forty friends on vacation! That is fantastic!

I'm pleased to report that there were no further local/illegal fireworks over the weekend. Maybe the earthquake scared everyone.

Also, it is not just the noise. We're coming out of an 8 year drought, and fires are still very possible here. Our homeowner's association has been trying to persuade the golf course to trim its trees, especially palms with dead fronds from years of neglect. We have seen the videos of fires throughout the state, and palm trees go up like torches. Maybe I should contact the fire department about this concern? Hmmm...

Thank you all for your love, prayers, unending support and friendship. We love you and pray for you and your loved ones every day.

Love & Light,

Rose

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Default Jim's Journey: New Thread

For those, who may visit this thread automatically for Jim's updates, I just wanted to let you know that I've started a new thread for Jim.

Here's a link to Jim's new thread, "Jim's Journey":

http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/...-Jim-s-Journey

Thank you all so very much for staying with us, praying for us and sending us your hugs, good thoughts, and love.

We love you!

Love & Light,

Rose

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718