Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first hummingbird is here!!

Distinguished Community Member jingle's Avatar

Talking My first hummingbird is here!!

My first hummer of the year came in a few minutes ago - I'm so glad I had a couple feeders out and ready for them.
    I live a quiet life so this is a big deal for me.

2. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

hey jingle!

i had never seen a hummingbird until about 6 or 7 years ago!

I started planting a garden almost 9 years ago after i had a sewer break in my yard. the plumbing company dug a trench in my yard and put in a sewer line from my house to the city line (almost at the back of my yard). i had to wait for dirt to settle and then bring in more dirt. i started planting when my mom was in the nursing home with alzheimer's disease. i needed to something to do that calmed me and plating a garden and pulling weeds is something i find very calming.

i was in the garden one day, on the ground, probably weeding. i looked up and saw this beautiful thing in mid-air in front of one of my flowers. in 2 seconds, i realized it was a hummingbird. i quietly watched it until it zoomed away. i haven't seen one since, but i hope to. do they come out early in the morning or any time of day? i don't want to put up any kind of feeders because we have varmints here and they steal everything.

jeannie
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

4. The following user says "thanks"

Jeannie -- if you have feeders they come all day, every day, during their season -- April through early Oct. (here in central Missouri. I think it would be a slightly shorter season in Michigan) There you have only the same hummer we have -- the ruby throated humming bird.
    When I lived in coastal mid-California we had many different types of hummers -- soooooo exciting.
    If you have flowers where you live, I bet you have hummers too.

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Have seen a few hummingbirds since I moved here, they love the honeysuckle hedge. I bought hummingbird feeders and they never used them, of course as soon as I put them out they stopped coming, feeder is still hanging empty and they come visit it, I don't get it lol.

My feeders are clean and waiting for them ....... Nothing, not a single hummer since that one I saw for a few seconds a few days ago :(

Here it is the 23rd and I haven't had another hummer -- not one

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

hey jingle!

i found this little video on my facebook feed. it was taken and sent to the tv station by a person who had the feeders in their yard. i notice all the bright colors...maybe that attracts the hummingbirds, too?

it seems like hummingbirds like warmer weather, so they're not coming out yet if you're still having cool nights in your area. does that make sense? i'm not a hummingbird , so i can't say why they're not coming around.

i hope the video works, as it's the first time i've done this from facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/foxnashvill...7302288554223/

hope it's a nice day there today! i've been working in my yard the last 4 days for about 4 hours a day. i'm kind of stiff, but i wanted to get yard waste out for pick-up today.

thank you for sharing and caring,
    jeannie

yay! it works. to hear the sound, click on the microphone icon on the far right of the video if it has an "x" in front of it.
    Last edited by tic chick; 04-25-2019 at 11:50 AM.
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

10. The following user says "thanks"

Thank you, tic chick, thank you....... wonderful film. I know some of them will be here eventually. I just want them NOW.

12. The following 2 users say "thanks"

14. The following user says "thanks"

Sunday at church a nice man who has been eagerly waiting for a hummer saw one at one of his feeders. He called for his wife but by the time she got there, it was gone. We are all wondering where they are

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast