Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Twitching and dropping things

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Sounds like your doctor is asleep, purple tulips. Time to find a new doctor. Also, get that book, could it be B 12. This will arm you with knowledge and may save your life. That is a very low B 12 level and I would suspect pernicious anemia which can masquerade as multiple sclerosis. Both diagnoses can also occur in the same person, of course. It sounds to me like you have an emergency in your hands. Get going!

I would recommend injections to be sure that your body absorbs the B 12. Some say that the sub lingual version of B 12 can bypass the intestinal track and be absorbed. However, personally, I would start with the injections. If I remember correctly, they initially do it once a week and then back off the frequency. Your B 12 will then test In the normal range. However, you must be vigilant because if it is pernicious anemia it was slowly drop back down again.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

https://www.amazon.com/Could-Be-B12-...TD3BJN7RJG84BK

Here is the link to the book I was just talking about.

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Something about B12 from Medical News Today in 2018:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322286.php
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Community Member

Just a quick update - I have an appointment with a Neurologist on Monday, which is good.
    My GP thinks it could be Functional Neurological Disorder and has queried that on the referral.
    Nothing diagnosed, but some MS type symptoms on and off for 10 years.
    Many MRI's clear.
    So...who knows!?
    I come in here every now and then to ask questions of this lovely group. :)

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleTulips View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi Agate,
    The vision episode was very brief - it only lasted 15 minutes and my eye hurt for a day or two afterwards with headache. I remember freaking out a little as my peripheral vision just disappeared and I had blind spots as well. I saw an optometrist that same day and the visual field test was all fine. That was Sept 2017 and it's never happened again. I will keep that event in mind when I see a neurologist though.
    Thank you :)
    I'm glad you'll be seeing a neurologist. If you have any records to show you were having those vision problems, I hope you will take them with you when you go. It sounds as if the optometrist found no problems but maybe have a look at the actual record? It's possible that the visual field test was misinterpreted. Optometrists are fine for prescribing glasses but diagnosing diseases that show up with vision problems isn't something they're trained to do.

An ophthalmologist (or a neurologist) who looks at your optic nerve might be able to find signs of optic neuritis there. There is also the visual evoked potentials test, and the neurologist might want to do one of those. It's not painful. You just sit and stare at a checkerboard pattern for a while.

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleTulips View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just a quick update - I have an appointment with a Neurologist on Monday, which is good.
    My GP thinks it could be Functional Neurological Disorder and has queried that on the referral.
    Good luck! It must feel good to have some direction.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Hope you have a productive appointment with, at least, some good input about your situation.
    Virginia

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Community Member

Update:
    Well the neurologist did a few basic physical tests, but not ones that test proprioception (like the Romberg) or any with my eyes closed, which is challenging for me. Maybe she thought it wasn't relevant. She just said it's stress and tiredness and my symptoms are not alarming at all.

She could be right, as the last 3 months have been difficult and stressful at work. BUT she knows from my last visit that the sx of migraine were caused by stress, so I think she's labelled me as stress-head!
    She said clinically there's no reason to get more scans done, but she would do it if it made me feel better. I didn't take her up on it. I felt that if I agreed, that it says I am overly anxious! (I also didn't want to waste my money). I don't want to chase stuff that may not be there either.

We did agree that if the sx get worse I will come and get the scans (MRI) done.
    So, I will see what happens!
    I know I can get a second opinion, but she did agree to do an MRI if I wanted, so I'll wait.

I'm on 2 weeks break from work now, so we'll see if the symptoms settle down.
    Nothing diagnosed, but some MS type symptoms on and off for 10 years.
    Many MRI's clear.
    So...who knows!?
    I come in here every now and then to ask questions of this lovely group. :)

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

And your B12 work up Tulip? I see that as more crucial than the MRI right now. Its blood work: Push it.

Stress makes the symptoms worse, it doesn’t cause the symptoms. My first neuro said, “Stress”, I got rid of him fast after saying, The only stress in my life is these symptoms....

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

MS can be very slow about showing up in a serious way. I do think it's odd that the neuro didn't test you with your eyes closed. I've had a lot of neuro appointments over the years, and every one of them involved a test with eyes closed. I don't do well on those tests.

But the neuro has given you a reprieve, in a way. You have more time to live your life without dealing with a chronic disabling disorder, and that is good news. I hope it will turn out not to be MS for your sake.

The slurred speech and the way you describe how you drop things are cause for concern, I think. Maybe those will go away.

Hope you'll keep us posted about how you're doing. It sounds as if this neuro might have been a bit dismissive though you sound as if you'd return to her. If you do think about more neuro appointments later, maybe a different neuro would be a good idea?

20. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12