Thread: Caregiving : The hole in our health care system

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Default Caregiving : The hole in our health care system

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/25/u...gtype=Homepage

This article raises some questions that I certainly do not know the answer to. But it lays out some of the financial burden of caregiving in a family with cancer or a chronic illness.

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This article is so true. I've seen this playing out with any number of people in my life, and those who do the caregiving are stretched to the breaking point and beyond. Most people's resources just don't allow for a major illness or injury in the family if the need for care goes on for any length of time.

People who care for loved ones by disrupting their own lives are heroic souls and there aren't nearly enough of them around. How long will it take for our prosperous country to realize the unfairness of this situation?

Some organizations can be helpful but not everyone is aware of their resources--for instance, transportation through the Easter Seal Society:

http://www.easterseals.com/our-progr...portation.html

Years ago I was in contact with a woman who lived in one of the Native American tribal communities who was dying of cancer and was already legally blind. The tribal resources didn't stretch far enough to help her, but the Easter Seal Society was able to hook her up with rides to/from Seattle so she could get the chemo treatments she needed. Seattle was 35 miles away from her, and so it was a fairly long trip, in another county, and yet she got the rides.

It shouldn't be like this though.
    i don't trip--I do random gravity checks.

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I walked off a job that I loved a lot when my husband was diagnosed with cancer. His was quick and immediate surgery. Naturally I wanted to be with him during that time. When he died six months later my mental condition was such that I was unsure of what I was capable of. It was a very demanding but satisfying job. When they told me I could come back I felt I could not because I was afraid of not being able to do the work and felt I could not leave them in a bind twice.

If he had not gotten sick that is probably where I would have remained for the rest of my work years. It cost me a lot of money because I was making very good money there. I still would not do anything differently, but what if we had not been financially able for me to do this. What happens then? There was no one to take over even if I had been willing to leave him. Also, what happens to people like myself who are alone?
    Virginia

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

TC is my caregiver. But it's been increasingly hard for him, to the point that I feel badly whenever I need help. I'm searching nursing homes, and when the weather is better (the snow is gone), I'm asking him to take me around to visit them in anticipation of my moving in to one. It would be wonderful it there were more of them, and more available, especially at night.

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Cat, I am afraid that TC will begin to go down hill more without you if you make this move, than he is taking care of you. I hope you both have kept an open mind about all this when you have discussed it.
    Virginia

10. The following 2 users say "thanks"