Thread: When it says in the newspaper that someone died of complications of multiple sclerosi

Distinguished Community Member

Default When it says in the newspaper that someone died of complications of multiple sclerosi

When it says in the newspaper that someone died of complications of multiple sclerosis, what does that mean? What are the complications that would kill you? Your esophagus closing? Swallowing issues?
    Be the person your dog thinks you are

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've been noticing over the years how that is mentioned sometimes and keeping an eye on it. It's usually pneumonia, infected bedsores, or kidney failure, as I understand it. This is from a few years ago but I don't think the situation has changed much recently:

https://www.webmd.com/multiple-scler...-study-finds#1

I don't recall hearing of anyone dying of swallowing issues but the pneumonia category can include aspiration pneumonia, I assume.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Yes, agate has it right. Infected bedsores are what nearly killed me. They led to a rampant blood infection that wasn't responding to antibiotics...until it did. And pneumonia is also common. Then there's the issues of a compromised immune system: illness that are minor turn into major issues for us, things like the common cold or flu.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been noticing over the years how that is mentioned sometimes and keeping an eye on it. It's usually pneumonia, infected bedsores, or kidney failure, as I understand it. This is from a few years ago but I don't think the situation has changed much recently:

https://www.webmd.com/multiple-scler...-study-finds#1

I don't recall hearing of anyone dying of swallowing issues but the pneumonia category can include aspiration pneumonia, I assume.
    Similar with CP. You don't die of CP itself only secondary problems or a swallowing issue.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

I was in a live support group and knew a man who was then in his 40s. At 52 he died from kidney failure. He was on a scooter and he use to stand long enough to kind of bend forward and hold his back for a minute because he was having spasms.

Also, in this live support group was another man in his 60s. He went into assisted living. His voice, when I knew him, was barely above a whisper and I could hardly hear him. He died at age 72 from pneumonia which they said was a complication of MS.

Our facilitator was in a wheelchair and was getting to the point that he could not transfer himself. He worried about going into a facility. However, he died at age 64 which was due to organs in his body beginning to go. The paper stated it as complications from MS.
    Virginia

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Thanks for your replies. A farmers market pal died earlier this month from complications of MS. Last time I saw him was a few years ago .
    Susan
    Be the person your dog thinks you are

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ssusan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for your replies. A farmers market pal died earlier this month from complications of MS. Last time I saw him was a few years ago .
    Susan
    I'm so sorry he died.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's always sad when someone with MS dies, and particularly sad when the person dies when much younger than most people.

ssusan, I'm sorry your farmer's market friend died.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"