Thread: Getting Off of the Floor

Distinguished Community Member

Default Getting Off of the Floor

This just randomly (?) showed up in my farm videos of You Tube today. I think it could help:

“How to get up from the floor (after a fall) - MacGyver style!”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4ETgQD8QhZs

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What a great video! You do what you have to do if there's nobody around to help you after you've fallen, and sometimes that means appropriating whatever is handy that will help you to get off the ground.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Very good video. Thanks for posting Ann!
    Virginia

6. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Useful video...thanks
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

This is great, thanks, ANN!
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Good info for helping get off the floor if your uninjured, but if your hip, leg, or heaven forbid, your back is broken . . . the booty scoot and other moves might be impossible.
    That book tower trick looks pretty tricky. Books, especially paperback books, are slippery! With my luck, I would surely break the back of that turned over chair and then never get out of an even worse predicament.
    I think dear Jeanie has it right . . . wear a call-for-help panic button! It saved my elderly aunt when she fell at home and broke her back.

My MacGyver story . . . My parents used to take care of watering our yard and checking on the house while we were on vacation. One time, my mother tripped over the hose my father had been using, on the patio. She could not get up (she had a broken hip!). They did not want to cause a scene in the neighborhood by calling paramedics or an ambulance, so my "MacGyver" father loaded my mother on the dolly that we used for the trashcans, rolled her to the car, managed to get her into the car and took her to the hospital! We knew nothing of this until we came home to find my poor mother was in the hospital, recovering from surgery! I was furious with Dad at the time for not telling us that Mom had fallen, plus the his crazy MacGyver move! That happened many years ago and lives on as a family joke we can laugh about now!

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

That is funny Nuthatch! Your Dad and Mom must both have been characters. How many men would not call 911 and say the heck with the neighborhood? Makes a good family story.
    Virginia

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

In his defense, he might’ve been dazed with panic and not be thinking straight.

I know someone whose wife went into labor, so he got her Go bag, raced to the car and loaded the bag into the car. He drove off without her! It took several blocks before his daze broke and he raced back to get her. true story from about 40 years ago.

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

My SPS makes it too hard to use those tricks— it would trigger spasms!
    But, what the video DID do for me, is help me to remember , if I fall, to calm down and think through what to do.

Thank you for posting it!

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"