Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: OT March Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pegakafarmgirl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it was called off once again,artic air moved in,,and will be here for a few days,,wind chill,, 25 below,,
    Too bad! Weather happens but does it have to happen so dramatically? Hope you can have the card party soon, Peg.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Like Peg, we have "a ton" of snow here, too. We haven't ventured out for the last week, due to the weather -- snow, ice, and way way cold. TC is right now on the roof of the house, shoveling snow off -- too much and the roof could collapse. Fortunately I had gone to the grocery store before the first snow hit (first of 3 different waves of snow, totaling about 30 inches, total) and stocked up. Filled the freezer and pantry. The only thing I'm "short" of is bread....but I have the ingredients so will put together a loaf today.

It sounds like most of us are struggling right now with various health issues. My health has been relatively stable once I got over the cold/flu I had which took a couple of weeks to get over.

Anyway, I have a pork loin and a pan of sweet potatoes in the oven to roast for Sunday dinner....

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

We got nearly 3" yesterday then it warmed and we now are experiencing hazy sunshine and 40 degrees with melting snow and brown grass peeking through. Due for another 5-7" overnight through about 10 tomorrow morning. I am off to Lexington, KY Tuesday morning for a program there for the MS Foundation Tuesday night then home Wednesday and Rituxan Thursday.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    Peg, still trying to party in weather like you are having. I hope this week it is not called off.

Agate, I did not realize that you were having so much snow that the groceries could not be delivered. I knew you were a while ago, but I thought that it was pretty much over with for you.

Sunshine, that is the same reason they will not let me have Ocrevus, because of the fact that it depletes B cells. I wish I could take that or Rituxan.

Cherie, maybe that is what is wrong with my cognitive ability lately. I have been on benzodiazepines for years. I have really been struggling. I keep loosing things and it is driving me nuts. I have misplaced my drug insurance card and I had it laying on my desk for several days during the time I was working at the desk. I thought I could put my hands right on it, but can not find it anywhere. I have called to have another one sent to me.

I am having trouble getting my Rebif renewed. I have funding left for several more months, but the Doctor's office did not respond to them when they called to get this year's prior authorization. So now it is in appeals and I have to try and get the Doctor to take care of it. I can't talk to him, so I am not sure how this is going to work, but it is making me very nervous. I always get nervous when things are not going right with Rebif.

I was out in very rainy and cold weather yesterday and feel that I may be coming down with a cold. I do not have anything to take other than tylenol.

I hope I do not get sick again. It seems I have been sick so much lately, which is one of the reasons my desk was in such a mess. I had not felt like taking care of very much.
    Virginia,
    I saw you wondering about your cognitive troubles and the benzodiazepines you take. I have no idea but, my neuro said that the oxybutinin I take has been shown to cause cognitive problems. And I just tripled the amount I take!
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Linda, I'd never heard that about oxbutynin, which I took for a while, and so I looked it up. I found only "memory impairment" mentioned, and it seems to be rare:

https://www.rxlist.com/ditropan-drug.htm#interactions

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    Virginia,
    I saw you wondering about your cognitive troubles and the benzodiazepines you take. I have no idea but, my neuro said that the oxybutinin I take has been shown to cause cognitive problems. And I just tripled the amount I take!
    I just discovered this about the Vesicare I recently started, it, too is an anticholinergic which is the class of meds now believed to cause cognitive problems. Who knew bladder meds were also anticholinergic!

So, I've got on my list to ask my neuro about mirabegron which is not an anticholinergic bladder med.
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I found something about the risks of anticholinergic drugs, or maybe someone has posted this earlier and I forgot? The older you are, the greater the risk from these drugs, I think.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...k-201501287667
    Last edited by agate; 03-03-2019 at 10:38 PM.

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Peg, sorry you just can't seem to have your card party, but 25 below is absolutely ridiculous. Just stay where it is warm, it will have to thaw out one day (well maybe).

Cat, sounds like you are about in the same situation as Peg. At least you and TC are eating well - pork loin and sweet potatoes. (Yum) Sounds so good and I just ate.

Linda, it concerns me that I have been on diazepam for many, many years. I usually take 1 1/2 per day. For many years it was 1 a day. I never had any need to up it until MS symptoms got worse. I have also been taking zolpidem 10mg for at least 15 years. I had it cut down to about 1/2 until shingles and my other medical problems started up. I am concerned, but hope that my cognition will last at least as long as I do. I am now also on gabapentin 3 times a day since the shingles. People who are not on many meds are very blessed.

I went to eat tonight with two sisters-in-law and one brother. We went to an Italian place over close to where I am. It is very nice and has the best veal marsala I have ever had. Yes Ann, that is what I had. One sister-in-law had grouper and said it was wonderful. I love grouper and debated on which I should have but finally the veal won out.
    Virginia

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    I found something about the risks of anticholinergic drugs, or maybe someone has posted this earlier and I forgot? The older you are, the greater the risk, I think.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...k-201501287667
    Yes, I gave that same link back in 6-7-2016 (what a great trip down memory lane to read that old, fun chit chat thread. Missing Vicky and Sally ).

Here's a more recent study:

https://www.bmj.com/content/361/bmj.k1315

Anticholinergic drugs and risk of dementia: case-control study

BMJ 2018; 361 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.k1315 (Published 25 April 2018)

Cite this as: BMJ 2018;361:k1315

Abstract
    Objectives To estimate the association between the duration and level of exposure to different classes of anticholinergic drugs and subsequent incident dementia.

Design Case-control study.

Setting
    General practices in the UK contributing to the Clinical Practice Research Datalink.

Participants
    40 770 patients aged 65-99 with a diagnosis of dementia between April 2006 and July 2015, and 283 933 controls without dementia.

Interventions
    Daily defined doses of anticholinergic drugs coded using the Anticholinergic Cognitive Burden (ACB) scale, in total and grouped by subclass, prescribed 4-20 years before a diagnosis of dementia.

Main outcome measures Odds ratios for incident dementia, adjusted for a range of demographic and health related covariates.

Results
    14 453 (35%) cases and 86 403 (30%) controls were prescribed at least one anticholinergic drug with an ACB score of 3 (definite anticholinergic activity) during the exposure period. The adjusted odds ratio for any anticholinergic drug with an ACB score of 3 was 1.11 (95% confidence interval 1.08 to 1.14). Dementia was associated with an increasing average ACB score. When considered by drug class, gastrointestinal drugs with an ACB score of 3 were not distinctively linked to dementia. The risk of dementia increased with greater exposure for antidepressant, urological, and antiparkinson drugs with an ACB score of 3. This result was also observed for exposure 15-20 years before a diagnosis.

Conclusions
    A robust association between some classes of anticholinergic drugs and future dementia incidence was observed. This could be caused by a class specific effect, or by drugs being used for very early symptoms of dementia. Future research should examine anticholinergic drug classes as opposed to anticholinergic effects intrinsically or summing scales for anticholinergic exposure.

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Virginia, just reading the old 2016 chit chat thread to find where I'd posted the anticholinergic info...are you still doing yoga? You were going to try it again to see if you could still do it, or if PT had messed up your knees too much with excessive squats.

Speaking of PT, I wonder how Jeanie's doing?

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast