Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast

Thread: OT March Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member

I went to my old salon via Uber for cut n color today. It’s right across from a boutique Target. I went there first for dry cat food and I saw that they had Panera Mac n cheese in their refrigerated section so I got that, too.

I had a good visit with Ismelda. I like the cut. When I went to pay she told me that Peter had called this AM and paid for it all including a tip. I am keeping him.

Now I’m doing laundry as we are flying to Mom’s for a visit on Sunday.

I hope someone has so info on Jeanie.

Virginia, I hope you are feeling better.

Peg, Oh My! Here it was in the mid 60’s today and when I went out to feed the birds I saw that the snow has receded enough that I have crocus blooming!

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

I've sent Jeanie a couple of emails but she has not responded so I suspect she does not have access to internet.

Exhausted again the past two days. However there are no programs or travel till 4 weeks from today and we have decided not to go to NH the week before we leave for that so home and catch-up time.

I noticed this morning that our snowdrops are up and opening. (Usually a sign that we have more snow on the way)

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I noticed this morning that our snowdrops are up and opening. (Usually a sign that we have more snow on the way)
    Hmm. Would that be why they're called snowdrops?

Cherie, a couple of days ago Jeanie said she had only someone else's iPad and she was having trouble getting here. At last report she could read but not post. I haven't had any more news of her since the last brief communication.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Pegakafarmgirl's Avatar

[QUOTE=Virginia;86151]Peg, what is it you guys are doing in your part of Iowa that rains down ice?? I saw some campaigning going on in Iowa. It must have been in a different part of the State. Sure glad the ice was not anywhere on your house. It's bad enough being in the hayfield.

its okay,, like I was saying, our farm on top the hill was not in danger of losing internet/electricity,, our other farm next to the river, was in its path,,
    " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Peg, so sorry any of your property might have been damaged - once again!

Cherie, glad to hear you are getting a much needed rest.

Ann, what would you ever do without your Peter? Let's see - I don't think it is your birthday or your anniversary is it? This must be just for behaving. I thought of Peter today when I went to his happy place. I ironed. uggh!

I really do miss hearing from Jeanie and I know the others of you do also. Wish there was some way to get more news. Maybe when she is feeling better and able to sit up in bed her sons might get her a laptop.

Hi Suze-Q. Hope you are doing alright.

I wish Howie would leave his computer work for his nephew or someone else. I think he admitted that he messed up the ethernet.

Agate, one of my brothers says he might get him a laptop and if he does he says he will give me his All In One. However, since mine is working right now and I like it so much, and it is fast so I am not sure I want his. He says the screen is really big. I reminded him that that the monitor I have is one he gave me and it is also really big. He still says this one is much bigger. I don't know why men think bigger is necessarily better.

Cherie, did Dave look at the vehicle with the navigation system like yours and if he did does he like it?

I hope something comes up that Cat can find a way to not go into a Nursing Home. She is much too young to spend the rest of her years in there.
    Virginia

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Cherie, glad to hear you are getting a much needed rest.
    Cherie, did Dave look at the vehicle with the navigation system like yours and if he did does he like it?
    Yes, the RAV4 has the same navigation system I have. It has a hybrid engine as well as the gasoline engine (still no electric option for that vehicle). He was out there with his industrial quality measuring tape comparing interior cargo space and the RAV4 has almost exactly what his current Escape has. He fell totally in love with it and the guy that writes up the deals is taking Fridays off so tomorrow we are going back to pay for it and bring it home. He will still need to locate a towing package and have it installed. He has done this on several previous vehicles for a few hundred dollars rather than the $1199 that the dealership would do it for. Looks like he will be saving 6-10 mpg with this car over his current one. He will detail the old one and have an oil change and safety check and fluid top off on the old one early next week then market it. If he finds a buyer who is willing and able to pay the Kelly Blue Book private sale fee, it will cover between a quarter and a third of the cost of the new car. Our financial planner had planned for both of our cars being replaced and is on board and we are not taking out loans so this is all pretty easy.

I grew up dirt poor as the child of a multi-generational dairy farm family. I was the first in the family in nearly 150 years to have a college education (full scholarship) but life was not easy and money was never plentiful. At 66 years of age we finally have a cushion where we don't have to buy on time and all of the properties are paid off so it feels really nice to be able to take all that hard work and planning and (gulp) write a check for the cost of a new vehicle.

BTW: He is still carrying around a piece of my car that broke off when he crashed it at one week into ownership as a "reminder" It is his "mindfulness moment" when he reaches into his pocket and feels it. I have a feeling these will be the last new cars we own.

So glad Howie is back. Concerned about Jeanie and others here who are on the cusp of needing help beyond what is planned and paid for. My heart goes out.
    Last edited by Cherie; 03-15-2019 at 07:41 PM.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Cat - I can imagine how difficult this selfless decision is for you. A social worker may be able to suggest other options to take some burden off of TC while keeping you two together. A condo with in-home help or an assisted living facility are just a couple of ideas that come to mind. Whatever you decide will be a major change. Give yourself and TC some time to together explore the options to find what's best for both of you. You're in my thought and prayers.

Peg - the weather has dealt a tough blow to you and so many others this year. Weather change is upon us nationwide, regardless if man is responsible for it or not! Glad to hear your home is up on a hill and was not negatively affected. Downed fences is more than enough to deal with when you're talking farming and acreage! Hopefully everything will dry out in time for crop planting, etc.

Cherie - My brother just leased a newToyota Mirai hydrogen car for his wife. It's kind of "experimental" in CA since there aren't very many hydrogen fuel stations around. The stations are mostly in large (and wealthy) metro areas at this time. He tells me that Toyota gives you $15,000 worth of free fuel, and if you run out of fuel somewhere, they will send a tow truck and tow you (to a fuel station?) for free. If you want to venture out of the area where there are no hydrogen fuel stations, they allow for 21 days of car rental during the 3 year lease for free . . . no cost roadside assistance. My brother says the vehicle is eligible for a HOV sticker, which allows you to drive in the carpool lanes on the freeways, where other cars with a minimum of 2 passengers are allowed. In LA traffic, that's a real plus. Traffic is brutal these days in southern CA!
    My brother is so excited about this car with zero emissions - only water, and totally quiet. He says he pushes a button on the dash and it pees!
    These car are expensive, running around $60,000! Not for me!

Here's the link about them, men love to look at this stuff! - https://ssl.toyota.com/mirai/fcv.html

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

So much happening in this small community of ours. I wish I could convey more support. It seems so hard to gather thoughts and type them out. ...but know I have read every post on everyone’s current heartaches and triumphs.

And it is so heartwarming to have a group where we can bare our souls on our challenges that come from ageing with these dreadful diseases, some alone, some with companions, some with lots of family around.

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Dave just picked up his new Hybrid RAV4 today. It is a 2018 with 17 miles on it this morning. Buying last year's model was a plus for 2 reasons. 1) they knocked $5000 off the price to get the remaining 3 off the lot and 2.) the 2019 Hybrids won't come out till this summer so the only Hybrid option today was a 2018. He loves it and has already put 72 miles on it today with appointments.

Sunny but windy and chilly here today. happy St. Paddy's to all tomorrow.

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Cherie, so glad Dave loves his new car, just as you love yours. I think it is wonderful that he got a good deal on it. I remember when I got my last new car, which is the one I have now. However, now it is 12 years old this month, but it only has 35,800 and some few miles on it. So....unless something unforeseen happens this will be my last car. But I remember how much I enjoyed it when I first got it. I am getting ready to have it fully detailed and I've got to take it through inspection this month.

Everything is so close to me here, that even though I went to 4 places today, I feel sure that I did not put even 5 miles on it. Mechanics would tell me that I need to drive it on the road.

Nuthatch, that is interesting about hydrogen vehicles. I would think that Howie would have an interest in reading about them since he was into mechanics - with building Pinky and all that entailed.

Sunshine, you add a lot. Do not be concerned. You are very vital to this forum.
    Last edited by Virginia; 03-16-2019 at 07:30 PM.
    Virginia

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast