Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: OT March Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member Pegakafarmgirl's Avatar

I just got done talking to Howie,,he is really getting frustrated,,he sounds fine,, we laughed and talked about the weather,,

after our blizzard, 2 weeks ago, now we have torrid rain and fog,, hopefully spring is coming soon,

Sunshine,, hang tough
    " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuzE-Q View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sunshine, both Cherie and I have taken ativan for many, many years, we are very familiar with it. We both have been on a tapering program for some time to reduce the amount we take.

Can you try less than 1mg, or is that your sweet spot for symptom relief?
    I donít know! I can try half of a tab. My doc is trying to not use it too much to avoid that addiction problem you both have. So, no sense using it often just to have fun...save it for spasms and for IVIG day.

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Peg, thanks for the Howie update. Glad he is still fine.

Sunshine, I am so sorry you are going through so much. Life is not always fair and this is definitely one time when it is not. I just wish there was a way for some of the meds to be cut down. That alone would drive me nuts. I guess that is what this Doctor is trying to do with Linezz.

In case you all do not hear from me for a little while I will tell you now that I might or might not be having a computer problem. I was on about an hour ago reading the news and all of a sudden a VERY loud screeching noise started and my mouse would not move anymore. I finally got it turned off manually and let it sit for an hour or more and then turned it back on and as you can see I am back up. If it goes I will get another one as quickly as I can. I don't know how Howie stands it.

I guess I should look at some on line now before it goes again just to get an idea of what is out there. Wish I could get another one like I have now. It is a mini tower that sits on my computer hutch next to my monitor. I have had it for a very long time and it has done very well.
    Virginia

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Virginia, a screeching noise from your computer? That sounds very unsettling! Do you recall when there was the dreaded "blue screen of death"? A screeching noise must be worse than that. I'm glad you've straightened the issue out and hope it won't happen again.

Facebook hasn't been working all day for me and for many millions of people all over the world but I gather not everyone has been affected. That has been annoying but nothing like having a computer making loud screeching noises.

I have an all-in-one type of computer with no separate box for the CPU. I couldn't believe that it would work but it does. And I was very glad not to have that box to deal with any more.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Sunshine ~

It's possible to get too much fiber, which can also cause constipation:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321286.php

You might want to calculate how much fiber you are consuming to determine if you are overdoing it. Decades ago, we discovered that we were overdoing it with the fiber and stool softeners with our sons. Their constipation worsened, until we cut back on their fiber intake. I've tried everything on the market for our sons' constipation.

I recommend natural alternatives to chemically prepared constipation remedies. As I mentioned, a warm glass of prune juice every morning could be all that you need in addition to a healthy diet.

I've dealt with chronic constipation with my sons for nearly 50 years now. Most parents of special needs kids face the same problem, partially due to low mobility as well as seizure meds (and pain meds, etc.) and G Tube formulas, which cause constipation. Jon is contending with constipation now, which is why he's on O2 and filled with fluid and gas.

Jon's poor motility prevents his consumption of anything other than water and his pre-digested formula. The only thing that works to help his constipation is MOM. It's also the safest remedy. I don't give it to him every day, because any laxative can promote watery bowel or diarrhea. The goal isn't to explode with BMs, but to gently encourage your bowels to move regularly.

I'm so sorry that you have to take so many meds to treat the side effects of other meds. This is why I've suggested natural remedies, including MMJ, in the hope that you can reduce some of the chemical options to treat the side effects.

You are wise to save Ativan for spasms and IVIG days. Through the years, we've been advised by our sons' physicians that Ativan and Valium can become tolerated fairly quickly. Perhaps you could try some THC for the fun days?

Sending you healing, positive energy ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

I'm glad to hear that Howie is ok but that his computer is broke. And sorry that sunshine is having such a hard time.

I'm grieving. My tuffycat had to be euthanized. His kidneys stopped working altogether. The poor boy was miserable. He knew he shouldn't be seeing on the floor but just couldn't get to the litter box fast enough. And was in pain. TC took him to the vet on Monday, and held him while the vet injected the meds. I stayed home and cried. He was my cat, loved and responded to me the best, and I to him. I still weep just talking about him. We're left with just one day now, TabbyGrey, and he's elderly too, 15 years old. There will not be any more after him....!

I'm looking for a nursing home for me. Caring for our 15 acres, the house, and his own health issues...then me...has become too much for TC. I am voluntarily leaving. I don't know just when. In the next few weeks we'll be visiting several in the area and perhaps branching out until we find one I'm more or less comfortable with. Most around here have waiting lists so it may be awhile before I move in.

Peg mentioned the weather...weird here, too. 14 inches of snow last week...it has been raining all day and now thunder and lightning going on outside. Temperatures were well below freezing just a week ago; will be near 50 tomorrow....

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

Oh no Cat! So very sorry about tuffycat. I know that is painful.

Went to Long Island yesterday for a program for the MS Foundation for March MS Awareness Month. Dave and I drove down...4 hours....and the staff from FL had a 4 hour flight delay so did not make it until 10 minutes before the program was to begin. Fortunately, I have done enough of these with them that I know the routine and Dave and I set everything up from the materials that had been shipped to the hotel and then checked everybody in till we were due to begin. I brought my own laptop and had it hooked up by the hotel AV staff so the folks from the foundation were able to walk in last minute and we had a great evening with few problems. We are home now and regrouping.
    I find that David, who has always been able to sleep at the drop of a hat, is now shifting his sleep schedule and rarely sleeps before midnight or after. He has done this program with me in the past on several occasions but it was like the first time for him and he strongly depended on his notes and had trouble getting through it without losing his train of thought. My heart breaks.

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Cat, so very sorry about your TuffyCat. That is a hard miss, and I feel for you.

Cherie, maybe Dave was overly tired for some reason, or had even though he has helped you in the past has it been quite awhile. I know you are there seeing it and it hurts, but maybe it is still too early to count this as something real important. I am hoping that it is the case.

Well, I am still back on for now anyway and will see what tomorrow hold for my computer. Love this computer and would hate to see it go. Agate, that was a very startling thing when it happened. I am wondering if it is something like a block up when someone is trying to hack you. I have had several of those, but then my computer would come back up later after I quickly manually shut it off and let it sit. So that is what I did tonight.
    Virginia

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cat, losing Tuffy must be very hard. I remember you've mentioned him often. May he rest in peace.

I'm sorry you're needing to think about nursing homes but hope that you'll find one that will be a situation you'll like. I understand that there are some very high-quality nursing homes if you know what to look for.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Cat, so much heartbreak. I am so sorry about your Tuffy... and about the need for nursing home.

Cherie, so much heartbreak for Daveó this has to be excrutiating for you...

Rose, thank you for your article, very helpful. The only processed food I eat is Fiber One for the huge fiber count, about 14G to supplement my whole fruits and veggies...I will d/c the cereal for a couple of weeks and see.

Virginia, hoping the computer straightens itself out and fixes itself. Sometimes they do. I once had a car that would fix itself.

On the homefront

A GI doc told me to start Linzess, and titrate down Lactulose to start with as it and Benefiber have uncomfortable side effects and barely do the job.

Linzess has Side effect of explosive diarrhea when first starting it. So, one has to stay home the first three days at least. And there is , for me, worry that it can trigger spasms. The side effect can take up to 2 weeks, so, who knows what this going to do re getting away from home for IVIG, for doc appts, etc.

Letís go on the wild ride and find out....

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast