Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selma Blair and MS

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Selma Blair and MS

Selma Blair is only a name to me--I haven't seen her in anything--but I learned via a Facebook friend that she's being quite open about her MS:

https://abc7.com/health/selma-blair-...E8ibLWz8R24K7o
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

She was supporting actress in Legally Blonde, for one thing. SHe is an excellent actress.

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

The speech problems people with MS can have aren't often shown. I think it's excellent that we're seeing her in conversation while having speech problems.

We can see what kinds of problems, and we can also see how they come and go from moment to moment for her.

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I did not know her either, but I am very glad to hear her speaking out.
    Virginia

8. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

She says that her doctor told her that within a year she could have 90% of her abilities back. I'm glad her doctor made that optimistic statement.

I've heard of doctors describing only a bleak future for people diagnosed with MS. The neuro who diagnosed me merely said with a little sigh, "Well, I've never heard of a case of MS getting better." But in general he was quite supportive.

10. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Selma Blair is only a name to me--I haven't seen her in anything--but I learned via a Facebook friend that she's being quite open about her MS:

https://abc7.com/health/selma-blair-...E8ibLWz8R24K7o
    Thanks. Good video. I have a number of speech Difficulties so I was interested. My speech problems come and go but I am convinced it was pure luck that when I was leaving my job to go on disability the speech problems mad that whole process easier!

Maybe the officials were so sympathetic because you could really hear and see the disability.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

My speech problems come and go too, and they're troublesome and embarrassing. It's sad to see an actress, young and personable, someone whose occupation depends on being able to speak, struggling just to get the words out.

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Here is a list of Selma's work:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004757/

She is still working according to this list.

Selma looked stunning on the red carpet for/after the Oscars.

One thing that I noticed in the video with your link, agate, was that Selma was wearing high heels. I wondered how she managed to walk in them and whether it was safe for her. I wore high heels in my youth, when I worked outside our home, and I regret it so much now. My back is paying for it.

Selma's description of sharing her MS diagnosis with her son was especially poignant. That must be a gigantic thing for a child to comprehend, but where there is love, there is always hope.

Teri Garr also has MS, and has been treated with steroids for some time from what I've read.

Recently, Linda Ronstadt has been interviewed on talk shows, discussing her Parkinson's diagnosis. I remember when she was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame a few years ago, but she wasn't well enough to attend to receive her award. It's so good to see her again.

I applaud Selma for speaking up and bringing attention to MS. We all need champions for our causes.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

This is what Spasmodic Dysphonia is:
    https://www.asha.org/public/speech/d...dic-Dysphonia/

My neuro thinks my gravely sounding voice is due to neurological causes. I really miss my voice.

18. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Rose, those high heels must be dreadfully difficult for her even with the cane. Gave up on them 40+ years ago after many years of hating wearing them but feeling I had to because work situations pretty much required them.

My guess is that Selma Blair probably had to wear the heels because of the event she was appearing in--the Vanity Fair after-Oscars party. Too bad that the sponsors of the party couldn't have made an exception for her and let her wear sensible, comfortable shoes!

20. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast