Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cystoscopy

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Default Cystoscopy

I saw the urologist today and scheduled a Cystoscopy. I had one about 25 years ago and it was barbaric. But this doc said they used to used stainless steel tubes. Now they use flexible plastic tube with a mini camera in it.

Have you had one of these? If so, what was your experience?

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had at least one cystoscopy but it was many years ago--and I'm so glad not to have had it repeated since then. It was only somewhat painful but after at least one of the urological procedures I had, I promptly got a UTI and always wondered if the procedure might have brought it on.

There was a period of several years when I was going to urologists--I think I stopped at the third one and gave up because all they were doing was prescribing Ornade, Detrol, Ditropan, and Vesicare. This was 20 years ago at least. I don't remember what kind of tubing they were using but have a vague memory of plastic. There probably was no camera. Metal would have been quite uncomfortable, seems to me.
    i don't trip--I do random gravity checks.

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

I had two about 6 years ago...one in the office and another in the hospital under general anesthesia. Neither was painful but the one in the office was uncomfortable. And it was a flexible lighted tube. The one in the hospital had a camera as well.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I have had two. One many, many years ago. Unpleasant, but not really too bad. I had another one just many years ago and it was just very unpleasant.

Edited to add: If they do not give you an antibiotic, ask for one in case you get a UTI from it.
    Last edited by Virginia; 02-22-2019 at 02:15 PM.
    Virginia

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Doctors apparently are more and more reluctant to prescribe antibiotics because of the way the antibiotics have been proving to be less effective as the bugs build up their resistance to them, but I'm hoping that they will continue to think of people with MS as more entitled to have them than most other people, because infections are particularly apt to hit us and to be particularly bad.
    i don't trip--I do random gravity checks.

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

They give you one dose of antibiotics at the time of the procedure per the secretary.

Cherie: DId you have one under anesthesia because without it was too awful?

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

hey all ,

i'd like to share my experience with cystoscopy.

in preparation for pelvic organ prolapse surgery last year in january, i had several tests done to check the functioning of my bladder and urethra. these were called "urodynamics". i had a cystoscopy (with a camera) and a test that filled my bladder with water to measure it's capacity and another test i can't remember. before the cystoscopy, my pelvic reconstruction doctor put some numbing agent in my urethra and the entrance to my bladder. he said that passage from the urethra to the bladder would likely be the source of most of the discomfort of the cystoscopy.

the doctor's 2 women nurses were there during the procedure and they talked with me and we joked some. it all put me at ease. the cystoscopy was uncomfortable for about 3 minutes, then it eased. i think you have to know your pain tolerance and also tell the doctor when something is just too much. if i had anything more than that discomfort, i wouldn't have hesitated to ask the doctor to stop and reschedule under local anesthesia or possibly some kind of sedative that i could have taken by mouth before the procedure.

of course i worried about the discomfort that i might have before these procedures, but all in all it wasn't as bad as being in labor with my first baby.

i hope everything goes well for you, sunshine!

thank you for reading,
    jeannie (tic chick)
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Thank you ticchick for your reply— it does putmy mind at ease. I also am having that urodynamic test. I assume that one is easy? Tell me about that:

For the Cystoscopy Perhaps I will go ahead and take the Ativan so I dont spasm. That will require I find a driver. If I cannot rope a friend into doing that, I will skip the Ativan and drive self.

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

hey sunshine !

all of my urodynamics tests were done in one room where i sat in a chair that had a cutout front so the doctor and nurses could do the tests. there was a bathroom and changing area in the room.

the test where they filled my bladder with water was no problem and no discomfort. they inserted a catheter into the bladder and slowly started filling my bladder with water. they asked me to tell them when i had the first sensation that i might have to urinate. they kept filling the bladder and asked me to tell them when i definitely felt the urge to urinate right away. they also asked me to stand and cough several times to see if that brought on leakage. then they asked me to urinate into a container that had milliliter markings on the side. they were testing to see how much fluid my bladder would hold, whether i leaked urine and at what point and how much fluid i was able to urinate compared to how much they put in me.

i think the test i didn't remember was just urinating into a container. the doctor asked me if i could stop the flow of urine. they were measuring the strength of my urinary sphincter and pelvic floor muscles. all of these tubes and catheters have sensors on them and numbers are displayed on a computer screen that a nurse views. the doctor interprets these numbers to see exactly what is causing the problems you are having. i wasn't having any urinary problems when i went in for testing, i was having severe constipation. the doctor wanted to see if i had any bladder or urethral problems before he did surgery because his motto was "one and done", meaning that since i was already going to need surgery , he wanted to make sure i had no other problems that needed fixing.

i'm glad you're feeling more at ease .

jeannie (tic chick)
    Last edited by tic chick; 02-23-2019 at 08:31 AM.
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

So, your urodynamic testing was done the same time as the Cystoscopy, with the tube still in you so they could fill it with water?

I am also having, in a separate day and in the radiology dept, a test where they use a CT scan and inject dye into your veins so they can visualize what’s going on in there. DId you have that test too?

20. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast