Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woman w/MS arrested for DUI when she hadn't been drinking

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't know about the license plate but I've had a Medic Alert bracelet since 1980 that states that I have MS. It gives my blood type and says I'm "diabetic not on insulin." That's about all there's room for. When I filled out the form for it, they ask specific questions but since the tag is fairly small, they probably can't go into detail about what kinds of symptoms a person has. Many people don't know one neurological disease from another, and as you say cops aren't medically trained. I doubt that they can be expected to study up on which neurological disorders cause which symptoms.

And of course someone could lie in order to get out of a DUI charge by saying MS is causing the slurred speech or uneven gait or whatever, but this woman had quite a bit of evidence she'd presented.

I believe they give a breathalyzer test on the spot, and she had one of those, showed no alcohol, and later had the lab work done, also showing no alcohol. But maybe I don't understand. Maybe there are false negatives quite often.
    i don't trip--I do random gravity checks.

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know about the license plate but I've had a Medic Alert bracelet since 1980 that states that I have MS. It gives my blood type and says I'm "diabetic not on insulin." That's about all there's room for. When I filled out the form for it, they ask specific questions but since the tag is fairly small, they probably can't go into detail about what kinds of symptoms a person has. Many people don't know one neurological disease from another, and as you say cops aren't medically trained. I doubt that they can be expected to study up on which neurological disorders cause which symptoms.

And of course someone could lie in order to get out of a DUI charge by saying MS is causing the slurred speech or uneven gait or whatever, but this woman had quite a bit of evidence she'd presented.

I believe they give a breathalyzer test on the spot, and she had one of those, showed no alcohol, and later had the lab work done, also showing no alcohol. But maybe I don't understand. Maybe there are false negatives quite often.
    There don’t have to be false negatives. We just do not know the details. So we know the story told in the paper which leaves us with the outline and not the full essay! That’s why my first comment was that it was quite a story and that it sounds like her lawyer is following through.

She may have been treated logically, she may have had other influences besides alcohol or MS or there could have been something in the road she was avoiding. We will never know how it plays out but we can notice the issue and think of our own situations.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Thanks! Very true! I saw a bunch of people on "Live PD" pretend to have medical conditions to get out of DUI charges and of course later they were found to have drunk WAY MORE than the legal limit so I can totally see the cops logic here. What cops have to put up with is truly amazing. I would just think something official like a Med Alert would at least help somewhat.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The handicap placard she had in her car didn't matter much at all apparently even though she called attention to it. The card might have helped if it was clearly coming from some "official" source.

I've found the card information:

https://www.mscenter.org/support/ms-id-cards

If you look at the .pdf file there, a sample of the card is shown. It lists several major MS symptoms, and several of them are the kind of thing that could be mistaken for alcohol intoxication. It does cost $10 and require doctor verification--and the form has to be downloaded, printed, and sent to the Rocky Mountain MS Center.

I'm going to get one of these (I think I had one years ago) even though I don't drive. It might come in handy in other situations too.
    i don't trip--I do random gravity checks.

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12