Thread: Does anyone have-or know someone who has- that seat elevator that takes you up...

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Default Does anyone have-or know someone who has- that seat elevator that takes you up...

I am asking for a friends who is heeding my longstanding advice...” get it before you need it”

I thought I would start looking for her. She has an old New England house with a narrow staircase. Any experience?
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Here’s what I think you are referring to:

https://www.ameriglide.com/ameriglid...n-stair-lifts/

https://www.acornstairlifts.com

I do not have one but will if I ever need one. My mom needs one but is resisting.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Linda)))))) ~

If you're referring to a stair lift, like ANN's links, we have one. We've actually had two lifts. The first one, installed in 1988, broke and was replaced in 1995. It also broke, so now it is idle on our stairs.

I recommend having a swivel seat. Beyond that, I think most stair lifts are basically the same. Be sure to get a service contract with the purchase. I would also look for Yelp reviews (or any kind of reviews) of the stair lift and company from which it is purchased.

What would you and your friend like to know?

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

I got a useful response on the MSWorld forum and thought I would pass it along:
    Linda

“My experience...

Looking ahead to the possibility of needing a chair lift because of MS or old age I did a good bit of research into different designs and manufacturers.

IMO, a Pinnacle chair lift made by Hamar is really tough to beat. I especially love the virtually maintenance-free track and drive system... no cables or other contraptions to adjust because it has a simple (and totally dependable) screw drive.

What I did was keep checking on Craig's List for exactly what I wanted... I wanted a Pinnacle with the chair and track on the right side of the stairs going up. That way, I would not have to switch anything but just re-install it as it was before. And, I wanted the track to be long enough, although additional sections are easily available.

A good handyman should be able to re-install this type of chair lift in 4-5 hours, IMO. That is how long it took me and I was not rushing.

I did need to cut a section of the track because prior-owned one I bought was too long. Cutting it was not a problem but I'm probably more used to doing that sort of thing than most.

I paid half the cost of a new, uninstalled chair lift. Paying half (50%) is what I consider fair for something I want that is in very good condition.

After purchasing this Pinnacle and installing it myself, I like it so much that I would gladly have paid more than 50% of new for this unit.

These units come with batteries installed which are very easy to replace and can be purchased online. The batteries automatically re-charge when the chair is at the top or at the bottom so you will need access to an outlet somewhat near the top or bottom of the stairs.

The Pinnacle works superbly, requires no maintenance, and it can make a dozen or so trips even during a power outage. It has a remote control, also, which is handy.

Lastly, and this would be very important on a narrow stairs... the seat, the arms, and the foot rest simply fold upward when not in use giving you maximum room on the stairs.

I love the simplicity of well-designed machines made to work forever w/o maintenance. This is one and that is why I bought it.”
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"