Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: OT Febuary Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

We have a Mac, so we don't need to deal with Windows (circa any date). We also don't need Malware or whatever those protection programs are called. A Mac is simple, straightforward, and easy to comprehend. I need that, because I am technologically inept.

I bought an iPad for Jim last year. We still don't have it set up, because we need WiFi and a Router. That means I have to learn new technology. Not a fan of that activity at all. Moreover, Jim gets confused sometimes using the TV remote, which is always by his side. I don't know how well he will be able to understand an iPad.

Or an iPhone or smartphone. Our cell isn't a flip phone. It has a keyboard for texting. It's quite small, so when people text photos, we can barely see them. We hardly understand how to use this phone, and we've had it for years.

John keeps telling us that our plan will replace our phone with an iPhone. I keep telling him that I'm not ready for the stress of learning how to use it and teaching Jim.

We use our cell phone to stay in touch, when one of us is away from home. I use it to text Jon's nurse, John, and other health professionals, as well as a few friends. It's in my pocket on my morning walk, in case there is an emergency at home or with me.

When Jim was in the hospital, the cell phone battery needed recharging. Jim only let it recharge for a few hours, then used it to call me. It conked out again and he said, "We better get a new phone." Then John and his daughter visited, and they decided our old phone needed more charging. It did. It works fine now. I was relieved, because I'm just not in the mood to learn how to use a fancy phone.

I admire all of you, who are able to understand and conquer the technology. Calling Uber and knowing what an App is.

I just don't want to give up our tiny phone, with the tiny pull out keyboard, that I can barely see. I'm so old school, I'm dial up.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

Rose, I'm old school, and proud of it!
    Evolution spans the Universe.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Virginia, I talked w my brother this week. He and his wife and my sister’s son are moving from Florida to Western North Carolina. He mentioned Harris Teeter and thinks it’s an odd name for a grocery store. They’ve made an offer on a house and 1.5 acres of land in Weaverville. They want to be close to Asheville and the mountains.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

6. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Thumbs up

You mean there's no mountains in Florida? Just kidding. I was born in mountain country, and I will die surrounded by mountains!

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They have odd named grocery stores in the south, maybe. My aunt lived in Atlanta (many many years ago) and when I visited as a child, I thought it was extremely hilarious that a grocery store was named Piggly Wiggly. I believe there are still Piggly Wigglys in various parts of the US?

Rose, I don't think you'll need to learn much new technology to get WiFi and understand an iPad. The WiFi is just there, coming with my computer modem, and the router is there too. I had nothing to do with it except that I watched it being installed by a technician. As for the iPad, I did buy a book about iPads but later learned that I could have found out everything on the iPad itself. It really wasn't so very hard though I haven't tried anything other than e-mail, games, and visiting Websites. Sometimes if my computer is acting up I use the iPad instead, and it's very valuable for that purpose.

Howie, a smartphone is like a little computer you can carry around in your pocket. The catch is that it's so small that I for one find it useful as a computer only as a last resort. You can make phone calls and receive them on it just fine and you can exchange text messages. You can take photos with it. You operate it with your fingers but I use a stylus since it's easier for me.

Because it's a mobile device it's set up for much more security than your computer usually would be. Every time I turn it on I have to enter a 4-digit passcode though I think there are ways of putting an end to that step. I choose to keep it there for the time being.

Both the iPad and the smartphone run down their batteries surprisingly fast. Mine need recharging every day but I've found an outlet where I can do that easily, without having to bend over.

This is probably the same smartphone I received free through the federal program. Others like it that I've seen advertised are about $25. This ad is for just the case--the actual phone isn't selling for as low as $6 so far as I know but I've seen it advertised in the $30 range.

https://www.amazon.com/Brushed-Prote.../dp/B07MH6BTY2
    Last edited by agate; 02-02-2019 at 08:43 AM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Lol, agate, that's a phone CASE, not a phone!

12. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

Happy GroundHog Day! Temps still in the teens here. Got up to 21 yesterday. We are supposed to get up to the mid 50s in the next couple of days with rain. Still under the weather and not getting much of anything productive done since getting back from DC.

I don't think I was the one telling how to use a flip phone with Uber. Doesn't sound familiar but I do love the ease of the app and I use it when I am traveling.

Initially I did not like Windows 10 and went back to 8.1 then my laptop died (under warranty) and the replacement had 10 on it (only option to replace). It was OK. The first system update, however, wiped all of my games and Microsoft Office plus several other programs and I had to ultimately send it out for $300 of work to clean it up and reinstall programs that I owned. Updates now actually help it run better and I am thoroughly used to it.

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Piggly wiggly is one of the first grocery stores established in the US, where customers could go up and down aisles to pick out their own groceries rather than the practice then of waiting at a counter for the grocer or clerks to get them for you. My father was one of the people who helped set up the cash registers and mu!triple lines the check out, and did training on the machines for some of the first stores.

16. The following 8 users say "thanks"

We have a Piggly Wiggly right down the road, but I've never been there.

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuzE-Q View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lol, agate, that's a phone CASE, not a phone!
    Thanks for pointing this out. I've changed my post to make it clear that the actual phone isn't selling for $6, so far as I know.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast