Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Thread: Bird Watching

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

The chicks have grown and daddy still watches over them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Distinguished Community Member

Nuthatch, Daddy is really proud of his family. I wonder how long he will do this. The chicks really have grown. I hope he teaches them everything they need to know in order for them to make it on their own. Really good pictures.
    Virginia

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They're getting quite substantial. You must enjoy watching them!
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile Our Hawk Family

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

I love your quail family, nuthatch! Birds are experts at parenting, as I've learned from watching different kinds of birds through the years.

We have a beautiful family (much smaller than the quail family) of hawks visiting us now. They are enjoying Michael's waterfall/pond. Yesterday, they were here for about 45 minutes. Dad perched on the roof of Jim's workshop. Mom perched on the back fence with the youngster. They took turns bathing.

They are quite chatty. Lots of high pitched squeals between them. I wonder what they're discussing!

Jim and I strongly feel that they are messengers from Jonathan and Michael.

Here are the photos I managed to snap of the threesome through our windows and screens:

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 4.16.34 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 4.18.30 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 4.19.30 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 4.20.40 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 4.22.07 PM.jpg

We feel so blessed to have them grace Michael's garden.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Thanks for posting these Rose, I especially like the one of the two of them on the fence. They are on the lookout for you.
    Virginia

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Elegant looking birds!
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

The photo is our backyard on Michael's Angelversary in 2014. That is Jim's workshop, where he crafted Native American flutes. He built the deck, with wheelchair access, for our wedding. I can't recall when he cut out the planter in the deck. That is where Jonathan's memorial garden will be.

We lost the two trees behind Michael's garden. Our gardeners pulled one up, when they repaired our gate some years ago.

Thanks to the drought, and Jim's health crises, and Jonathan's ongoing issues, I wasn't able to maintain the yard, so it's dirt now. It will be concrete someday. I really miss this version of it from 2014. We had so many birds then.

Virginia ~

It feels like they are here for a purpose.

One of the reasons we created Michael's waterfall/pond was to attract birds. We love to watch them shake a tail feather when they bathe! When the waterfall is working properly, we have all kinds of birds visiting.

Unfortunately, Jim is unable to maintain the pumps, and I am limited in what I can do. It needs to be drained and cleaned out, as there is so much muck and algae in it. That is a big job. I may enlist John to help me with it.

The pond was low, so I had to fill it today, and I lifted up the fountain pump, cleaned it, put it back in, and it's a geyser! Unfortunately, the waterfall stopped! Ugh! I hope it will start up again as it did the last time a couple of weeks ago, after I cleaned it.

It amazes me that the hawks come here, when there are several lakes on the golf course behind us. Ducks, geese, egrets, and other water fowl hang out in those lakes.

That's why I think they are messengers for our boys.

agate ~

I agree that they are elegant. So graceful when they fly and circle looking for food. I stop on my walks when they're circling the golf course. Such freedom.

We may not see them again, until the waterfall starts going.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Son helped my husband take apart, clean, and replace the pump for our fountain on Saturday. He cleaned the cement tiers with his trusty power washer. When he got it all put together and leveled with the new pump installed, it too shot up like a small geyser. The birds started returning within an hour but even the bluejays were unsure of the higher geyser. They kept hopping back and forth from the wall to the fountain edge. Today I saw the female oriel had returned and was standing on the edge of the small square top tier and was repeatedly dunking her head into the gentle 6 inch bubble fountain of water that the pump now produces.

Build it and they will come! (Name that movie, Howie!)

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Smile

((((((nuthatch)))))) ~

Please clone your husband and son and send them South to my house.

Love & Light,

Rose

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011