Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Techfidera failure...

Distinguished Community Member

Default Techfidera failure...

So, after these last two exacerbations my neurologist has given up on Tecfidera. The hospital neurologist who raised the issue and my neurologist met, along with my nurse-practitioner, and decided that in my case, the drug was not helping, and that at my age (soon to be 72), it is likely the Tecfidera is doing more harm than good. So once again I'm not taking any MS drug. I"ve given up worrying about it. "What will be, will be....". You all have stayed with me through these last few years of one flare after another, one MS-related or complicated illness after another...so I'm at peace just going for as long as I can, then quietly slipping into that good night.....

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Catdancer, I'm so sorry that yet another drug didn't do right by you. Since they don't seem to know a lot about these drugs, a person sometimes might wonder if they actually make some people worse. If they don't know which people will get better (or how much better or for how long), how do they know that for some people--people who've had MS for quite a while, for instance--the drugs might not cause flares that wouldn't have happened otherwise?

I'm just saying that the drugs are still unpredictable, and anyone who takes them is venturing into little-known territory. MS is such a weird and devastating disease that I'm really hesitant to do that, given my age.

So there are others here with you who are just letting MS do its thing--trying like ten devils to keep it from getting in our way too much but just realizing that "it is what it is."
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

I know this has to be discouraging. Have you and your Dr. considered Ocrevus or Rituxan? I have not had a relapse in the three years since I have regularly gotten 4 doses of Rituxan a year but prior to that would relapse within 5-7 months of coming off a DMT (Rebif, Tecfidera, Cytoxan). It also, just so you are aware, was over a year (after my 5th or 6 dose) that I began to feel a bit better and over the next few months saw the symptoms of the most recent relapse 2 years earlier begin to lessen and peel back. This past year has been as stable as any I have seen in the past two decades.

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by agate; 01-31-2019 at 10:57 AM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

7. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Cat, you might could mention to your Doctors what Cherie has had to say.

If you can't get a DMD you will be joining many on this board. There are a number of people on here, such as Agate, who either don't want one or can't get one.

Please do not say you "will slip quietly into that good night". As Agate said fight like "10 devils".

Some people seem to do pretty well without the drugs. If they do not try another one with you, I hope you will be one of those people.

Sunshine, has been doing IVIG for quite awhile. However, she has to go quite often. In your circumstances and the distance that TC would have to go I don't know how you would feel about that. She does keep going on it and gets a boost of energy, which is always good.
    Virginia

9. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cat, I'm 65, and have never taken a DMT in the 20 years I have had MS, yet I still walk, and drive. We are all so different, I don't know how they can ever develop any drug to treat a disease that they don't even know what the root cause of it is.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

11. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know this has to be discouraging. Have you and your Dr. considered Ocrevus or Rituxan? I have not had a relapse in the three years since I have regularly gotten 4 doses of Rituxan a year but prior to that would relapse within 5-7 months of coming off a DMT (Rebif, Tecfidera, Cytoxan). It also, just so you are aware, was over a year (after my 5th or 6 dose) that I began to feel a bit better and over the next few months saw the symptoms of the most recent relapse 2 years earlier begin to lessen and peel back. This past year has been as stable as any I have seen in the past two decades.
    Neither of those has been suggested. Are you diagnoses as spms, or rrms?

13. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
    Neither of those has been suggested. Are you diagnoses as spms, or rrms?
    Cat, I believe that Lazarus is now SPMS and she also takes Rituximab, with success.

It has been found effective in SPMS:

https://www.neurologyadvisor.com/mul...rticle/825707/
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

15. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
    So, after these last two exacerbations my neurologist has given up on Tecfidera. The hospital neurologist who raised the issue and my neurologist met, along with my nurse-practitioner, and decided that in my case, the drug was not helping, and that at my age (soon to be 72), it is likely the Tecfidera is doing more harm than good. So once again I'm not taking any MS drug. I"ve given up worrying about it. "What will be, will be....". You all have stayed with me through these last few years of one flare after another, one MS-related or complicated illness after another...so I'm at peace just going for as long as I can, then quietly slipping into that good night.....
    I am 72 also. Have you discussed rituxan? I brought it to the attention of my doc and when he researched it we started. I have been SPMS for years.

There are great safety statistics on rituxan and side effects are extremely rare. Sunshine does IVIg which I also took for many years. Again, it is a blood product and has a great safety record and very limited side effects. In fact, the side effects of both drugs are the positive impact on MS.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 01-31-2019 at 03:23 PM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

17. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuzE-Q View Post
    Cat, I believe that Lazarus is now SPMS and she also takes Rituximab, with success.

It has been found effective in SPMS:

https://www.neurologyadvisor.com/mul...rticle/825707/
    I just posted without reading your post first. Yes, I am SPMS.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

19. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast