Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Being in a wheelchair makes one feel invisible

Distinguished Community Member

My Father was slower funnylegs in getting words out, but he was able to do it, if given just an extra little bit of time. His brain was working well and he played chess and checkers with my brothers and talked to me about normal subjects.

My brothers did not intentionally let him win when they played games, but often he did. He was thought of as one of the best alternator builders in this area and my youngest brother would sometime call and say Dad, my car is doing such and such and what do you think is wrong with it. Daddy would later call him back and tell him what needed to be checked. My brother said he was right on the money. My brother would do this so that Dad's mind would remain active.
    Virginia

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My Father was slower funnylegs in getting words out, but he was able to do it, if given just an extra little bit of time. His brain was working well and he played chess and checkers with my brothers and talked to me about normal subjects.

My brothers did not intentionally let him win when they played games, but often he did. He was thought of as one of the best alternator builders in this area and my youngest brother would sometime call and say Dad, my car is doing such and such and what do you think is wrong with it. Daddy would later call him back and tell him what needed to be checked. My brother said he was right on the money. My brother would do this so that Dad's mind would remain active.
    Ah so just the muscles used for communicating were effected? I noticed people assume if stroke survivors have slow speech they must automatically have intellectual disabilities whereas the few people with aphasia I had the pleasure of meeting were very intelligent and were better communicators than I am. Even if stroke survivors have intellectual disabilities they should still be spoken to directly. I'm so glad he could still speak and that his mind remained sharp and fully functioning. He sounds like a wonder person and I wish I could meet him!
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 01-21-2019 at 02:02 PM.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Thank you funnylegs! He died of cancer a long time ago.
    Virginia

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    Thank you funnylegs! He died of cancer a long time ago.
    I'm so so sorry he died of cancer! :'(
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not addressing the person in a wheelchair directly is demeaning to that person. What possible reason could anyone have for turning to someone else to ask, "Is he/she fasting?" without ever trying to ask that person directly? The only reason I can think of is laziness. It's just easier to ask a person who is at about your eye level and not in a wheelchair.

And it's a way of distancing yourself from the whole group of people in wheelchairs. You're in effect saying, "People in wheelchairs aren't human like the rest of us." That is beyond insulting.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Agate, you said it well. That is exactly how we felt about my Father who was only in his 60s when he had a stroke. It was probably partially brought on by grief. My Mother had died the year before. Then he had to suffer the indignities of many of the medical professionals.
    Virginia

11. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Couples of long standing seem to die very close together. My mother died about a year after my dad passed.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

13. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    Not addressing the person in a wheelchair directly is demeaning to that person. What possible reason could anyone have for turning to someone else to ask, "Is he/she fasting?" without ever trying to ask that person directly? The only reason I can think of is laziness. It's just easier to ask a person who is at about your eye level and not in a wheelchair.

And it's a way of distancing yourself from the whole group of people in wheelchairs. You're in effect saying, "People in wheelchairs aren't human like the rest of us." That is beyond insulting.
    I noticed a patten of people assuming the disabled person will not understand or it will take too long for the disabled person to give an answer because they assume physical disability means mental disability or they think they are saving time. It is indeed very lazy. People just don't have patience for interaction anymore.

15. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You've nailed it. If you don't look all able-bodied and fresh as a daisy, people don't have time for you. A mobility aid, especially a wheelchair, seems like wearing a sign screaming out that you're disabled.

I sometimes think it would be nifty if I could wear a sign on my wheelchair saying, "This could be YOU some time."
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

17. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    You've nailed it. If you don't look all able-bodied and fresh as a daisy, people don't have time for you. A mobility aid, especially a wheelchair, seems like wearing a sign screaming out that you're disabled.

I sometimes think it would be nifty if I could wear a sign on my wheelchair saying, "This could be YOU some time."
    Good points. That's why I make them have time for me and why people with invisible conditions work so darn hard to hide their conditions to the point where it does more damage than good. That would be a neat shirt. However should we really be sending that message which makes disability sound like bad karma or a punishment when ending up like us seems to be their biggest fear and part of why some of them want us dead? Just something to ponder. Not a criticism.

19. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast