Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for 75-year-old mother with CSF leak

Hi,
    My 75-year old mother who is very vital and healthy has had 3 botched spinal surgeries. I won’t go into the whole long story, but her third surgery was last June. She was in terrible pain recovering but we were under the impression that she was healing, although slowly...

Now we’ve just discovered that she has a spinal fluid leak at C5-C6 level. It has increased from 2cm to 10cm over the last 9 months. The surgeon says that he highly advises that she get a 4th surgery, where he will patch the CSF leak (the worse case scenario if she doesn’t get this surgery is that she could be paralyzed from the legs down). However we feel that her body won’t be able to tolerate another surgery like this since she’s been through so much :-(

I’m hopeful that stem cell injections might be another alternative? Has anyone had successful results with this treatment or can you suggest another alternative to surgery that’s worked for you? We’re in NJ so any recommendations would be great!

She’s also due to fly this week (6 hrs on a plane), does anyone advise against flying with a leak like this? many thanks!
Working...
X